Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

So I never actually shared anything of theirs. But when my bandmates and music-inclined friends were discussing GVF, I don't think it bodes well that everyone agrees how downright derivative they are. And I mean, we're at a point now where (in certain corners) we're seeing third or fourth-generation rehashes of grunge, '90s alternative, slacker indie, etc. I was around for some of that the first time it happened, so easy enough to roll my eyes at someone rehashing Pavement, Nirvana, etc.

So when someone blatantly goes to the Led Zeppelin well yet *again*? What can be drawn from it that you can still add to it, without succumbing to parody or straight tribute? If ripping off stuff that happened in the '80s and '90s is already played out itself, then revisiting the Zep thing so purposefully is just so obvious.

violetvinyl likes this.
  2. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Why is it relevant? I like many bands I couldn't narrow it down to a handful I listen to Jazz, Blues, Rock & Metal on a daily basis

3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Ahh, I see. You just mentioned them. My bad. Never mind then.

Care to share some of your bands music or point me in the direction where I can hear it? I'd love to check it out.

artfromtex likes this.
  4. aroney

Really? Can't just name a few ya like? It's not that difficult.

See, you have nothing in your profile to go by. Nothing. No context to your critiques whatsoever.

I'm curious to see if there's some music, based on your response, that I should be checking out.

artfromtex likes this.
  5. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Greta Van Fleet & Wolfmother are my very most favorites guy.. followed by the Complete works of Acker Bilk

6. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

On one hand, I'm glad to see younger bands take influence from the classic acts. On the other, my frustrations are the same as some other people. They sound so much like Zeppelin that there's not much innovation.

7. aroney

Does this sound like Zep?

Spotify version:

Spotify Singles

Acoustic:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    artfromtex likes this.
  8. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Allllllrighty then. Managed to make me like an Adele song. This band now gets points from me.

artfromtex and aroney like this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It makes me appreciate the original version more. Same goes for the Fairport cover but if it draws others to the music of Richard Thompson stuff then all is good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    DHamilton and WarEagleRK like this.
  10. aroney

I knew I could bring ya over. :D

Slight kidding aside, these cats love all sorts of music (a good thing) and I'm sure we'll see more "variety", especially since they are all around 20 years old and haven't even put out a full length album yet.

Here's another that the singer admitted was something he shouldn't do, or that he even "lived" it's meaning, but loved so much, they went ahead and did anyway:

DrewHarris likes this.
  11. aroney

Ahh, you made an edit, didn't ya. ;)

Yes, Adele is a huge lift, but I give 'em points for actually doing a solid job (my wife was like, "Adele is better," but I was like,"Damn the kid is like 20, he's a dude and he crushed it!" Anyway...).

I'm with ya on the Fairport/Thompson stuff too. If these guys can bring folks (young and old) to check out the originals, then that's a good thing.

They don't hide the fact that they're covering these guys either. They name drop classic artists in every interview. True music fans.

12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The song "Black Smoke Rising" was written just before they recorded their first EP. All the other tunes were considerably older. "Black Smoke Rising", to me, is their least Zep sounding tune. So, I think they are already showing signs of musical growth.

13. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

So, finally GVF heads up into Canada. They are playing a small club in Toronto down by
    the lake. That gig will sell out in seconds. Then they are off to Ottawa to play the massive
    Bluesfest.

LarryP likes this.
  14. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Two gigs now in T.O. They added a Friday date.

15. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Heard them on the radio in the car in the east of Belgium near Liège on an Oldies station. Sounded like Led Zeppelin, which is fine by me. Don’t know about buying an album though.

16. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I had a hell of a time getting a single ticket to their show at the Cleveland Agora this morning when they went on sale at 10am (there was no pre-sale). It seems that their other shows that went on sale this morning sold out right away as well. (I did manage to snag 1 ticket to the CLE show).

When was the last time that a rock band sold out 2,000+ seat venues in the heartland in mere minutes without yet having a full LP to their name?

LarryP and Daryl M like this.
  17. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Talented musicians - great to see young kids carrying the torch but unfortunately that torch is still in the surviving members of Zep’s hands. One thing to be influenced and another thing to be a carbon copy of your influence(s)

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  18. santos6

santos6 Well-Known Member

I got tickets to the Sunday show, I think the feeling is that some people think this may be beginnings of something pretty special (undecided but I obviously like their stuff). I hope they evolve a bit on their first full length, not completely abandon their sound/vibe but enough to deter the Led Zeppelin copy cat comments (which are warranted).

19. Do we know if the tickets were purchased by real people or brokering sites?

DHamilton and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I think we all know the answer to that.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  21. I'm not saying they couldn't sell out to real humans, but I think the data would be skewed if we looked back far enough.

JasonA likes this.
  22. aroney

Based on actual crowd shots of their shows they looked pretty packed, so there must be actual people buying tickets and going out to the shows.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If brokers are buying the tickets that is actually a sign that the demand is higher than expected. They would not buy them in bulk if they could not mark them up for resale.

Since these shows are selling out so quickly, they should probably raise their ticket prices. Better the artist and venues get the money as opposed to the second hand market. Especially in the day of anemic physical media sales.

JasonA, Detroit Music Fan and aroney like this.
  24. peteham

peteham Senior Member

They really remind me of The Rutles - in the best sense - they capture a lot of what I love about Zeppelin but they are beyond pastiche - the organ break on 'Flower Power' is absurd - as an example - but hey if they allow one kid to escape from the waste land of Hip Hop bless 'em

25. aroney

Exactly! It's actually a compliment to your overall demand if you have broker/scalpers sweeping up some of the tix.

It means your band is legit.

'nuff said.

artfromtex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.