Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Let the Greta Van fans have their fun. I say no more Hoobastanking their thread. It’s easy to be a sour puss and say cover bands suck. Put up or shut up, what art have the forum critics ever done. I have said a bad word against GVF, no more of that from me.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    aroney, Paulwalrus and ramdom like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Zeppelin copy bands come and go. They'll disappear soon.

painted8 and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  3. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

They’re fun, I’m not going to overthink this. Even Plant gave them a shout-out & a blessing. Good on them! (Got the album on CD, it’s got 2 great covers and some stompin’ Zep sound-alikes. That ain’t easy!) Don’t stress out... They missed our era and pay it homage w/ talent and respect. What more do you want without being that “old men yelling @ clouds” meme?

4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I don't know if what Plant did was give his blessing. It came across as sarcastically acknowledging that he is aware of them from the two interviews that I have seen.

"They say they got it from Aerosmith" and over exaggeratingly rolls his eyes.

However maybe they will develop their own sound over time. The singer will have to get some nuance in his voice other than just 1969 Plant at full blast and the lyrics might need a little work.

If they are trying to be Zeppelin they are missing what Page called "light and shade" right now it is all full bore light.

rockclassics likes this.
  5. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin makes me crunge.

DHamilton likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they sound a lot like led zeppelin........i'll take led zeppelin.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  7. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

“Overthinking”. I get your points, but in this day and age any confirmation is a blessing. In my books. In the one interview the guy asked him if he’d been “listening to anything new that was good” lately. He replied w/ GvF. I’m sure they’ll tone it down once they mature - they’re barely out of adolescence! The world has had its share of Zep imitators, over the years...I’m sure they won’t be the last!

aroney and kannibal like this.
  8. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

some good songs. not purchasing their music.
    there is much better to dump money on.

9. Instead of comparing them to Zep, or anyone else musically, let's compare them to Kings of Leon, who are also a 'family band' and were very young when they hit it. If GVF can accomplish what KOL have, in the same period of time, they deserve the credit.

aroney likes this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

If that's the comparison, then the hooks just aren't there for GVF. The Followills could turn out well-crafted pop songs in their sleep, before they got seduced by big time radio success and went a little too bland and formulaic. There's zero hint of that type of songwriting talent with these guys.

If the only link is that both bands are made up of young members with a familial connection, we may as well compare them to The Shaggs while we're at it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

Absolutely this.
    Coincidentally my son introduced me to these guys just last night. God's speed and keep the fire burning lads.

aroney, realkilroy and Tree of Life like this.
  12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A good cover band. I would place the band in the -C category.

14. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I just saw this video today for the first time, a friend turned me onto to it. I remembered seeing this thread at various times, but never clicked on it because I thought the name of the band was stupid. Yes, they sound exactly like Zep, at least on this song, which is the only one I’ve heard. I love it! I’m going off now to listen to more of them.

MikeInFla and Paulwalrus like this.
  15. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Yeah, the Zeppelin influence is heavy right now, but give them time, they’ll find their own sound. Kinda like Rush when they started.

And at least the Zeppelinesque attributes are honest, not corny like with some other bands (*cough* Kingdom Come)

MikeInFla, aroney and Old Rusty like this.
  16. Exactly?

17. efam

efam Forum Resident

Saw them yesterday for the first time at the download fest in paris and i was exactly thinking the same: (very) early rush

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Did I stutter?

19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Vocally he sounds like Plant at his loudest peaks, but as of right now hasn't really shown any more depth and nuance to his vocal style. It is all Plant turned up to 11 and to this point is the only comparison.

Musically they aren't Zeppelin at all. To say that is an insult to Zeppelin's crazy musical variety and depth.

Lyrically I am not sure because the vocals are so far over the top I never really focus on the lyrics.

It seems people hear the vocal and just hear nothing beyond that and say "Led Zeppelin". Those comparisons opened the door, but if there isn't anything more than that subsequent releases they won't sustain their current buzz. I wish them well.

Man at C&A, aroney and violetvinyl like this.
  20. Nope. Just trying to clarify. You can't tell the difference between GVF and Led Zep. Got it.

21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Good. Feel better now?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  22. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

So what if they sound like Zeppelin?. I like that.

23. No.

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

When I heard these guys the first time I thought it was pretty cool. I have now heard someone who I prefer more who jumps on the blues rock wagon and takes it down a different road. Check out The Record Company. They have an album from 2016 and a new one released this past Friday.

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Heard the buzz, the comparisons and then listened to them.
    Without calling themselves Led Zepagain or the like it’s kinda creepy and weird how exactly they are aping Zeppelin.

Remember that guy Terry Stafford who sang “Suspicion” and sounded just like Elvis?
    Don’t worry, many don’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.