Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleeptalker

sleeptalker Forum Resident

Agreed, a lot of fun. This BOF would be happy to see them Live.

sound chaser and aroney like this.
  2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

They're to hard rock what Bruno Mars is to RnB. It's karaoke. It's fun in a way for a short time if you don't take it all too seriously but it's still karaoke. Not the salvation of rock.

Unless we've reached a point where karaoke is the salvation of rock. In which case, they should have a fat lady singing instead of Robert Plant's mini-me. 'Cuz it's over.

D.D.

3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. aroney

They don't. Listen to ALL their songs...

Tree of Life likes this.
  5. aroney

Record Company are a great band too! Can't wait to see them in a few months!

6. aroney

You are old. Please leave this thread. ;)

Tree of Life and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  7. aroney

Not to mention, the band you suggested earlier sounds like a re-tread 60's act without the chops...Whatever...:p

Tree of Life likes this.
  8. aroney

Yep, are they Zep or Adele? You decide?

9. aroney

Over a year, sold out shows, huge fests and counting...Not yet. :cool:

Bingo Bongo and Tree of Life like this.
  10. aroney

Clean yours 'bro. You have limited verbal/listening comprehension skills. No worries though, that places you in the majority.

Tree of Life likes this.
  11. aroney

Please share them then...

Tree of Life likes this.
  12. aroney

Love 'em or leave 'em...

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What a travesty that was. I knew they were done for the minute I read the stories about Hollywood types showing up to their shows. Anyway...sorry for the distraction.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  14. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The lead singer is Plant (obviously), Joplin, Geddy Lee, maybe Bon Scott?? all combined.

15. That is a well shot and recorded show, for sure but I still don't love 'em. I just can't get over the "Mum mum mum mum mum mum mum mum mum mum mum maaaa!" It's all just a characature to me. Zep may have copied their influences a bit, but they had their own identity, originality, and a wide range of styles.

FrixFrixFrix and rnranimal like this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If he wants people to stop comparing him to Plant, he should maybe at least stop doing his twirled up hand gesture.

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

All of the above were also influenced by multiple others. You can’t blame a band for having influences. At least they chose good ones.

I don’t know where these guys will go but I can tell you teenage boys are excited about them because I have a couple. It seems to me that’s the same demographic that drove all of the above to the status of pop culture heroes while their middle aged parents just shook their heads.

jammincrowe likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's impossible once you get the habit. When I used to air sing to Zeppelin I did the same darn things. I blame The Song Remains The Same movie. :)

rnranimal likes this.
  19. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yes, that’s what I am saying lmao. everyone has influences. Leave the kids alone, they are doing it pretty well!

Tree of Life likes this.
  20. progmog

progmog Senior Member

There is a big difference between influence and mimicry. Whilst I agree that they are a talented bunch of individuals, the sound, the songs, the lead singer's mannerisms, are all just mimicry...good mimicry, but mimicry all the same.

21. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

napalm death
    GBH
    overkill
    pestilence
    Venom
    Blitzkrieg
    Trust
    Satan Jokers
    Praying mantis

right there are 9 new releases which are so far above these children in terms of musicianship, and talent, there is no denying it.

DPK likes this.
  22. aroney

Uh, yes I'm happy to deny it. Ouch. :(

Where are the new bands (preferably with singers who don't gargle with glass)?

Tree of Life likes this.
  23. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria Thread Starter

Please spare us the "Death Metal" genre...No melody whatsoever, absolutely no catchy riffs or hooks, playing the guitar at one million MPH endlessly and doing nothing with it except going nowhere faster and barking, groaning while trying to (I can't call it singing cause it isn't)

Praying Mantis ??? LOL

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Venom's musicianship?? :yikes:

And I like Venom.

Ma Kelly likes this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've checked out a number of video clips now and that's what I feel as well. I just don't have an interest in retreading what I already know. I'll just listen to those artists. When someone first told me about this band a couple weeks ago, they said "They sound just like Zeppelin!" like it was a good thing. That immediately turned me off and I didn't bother looking them up. Once I saw this thread, I decided to give them a chance. My two biggest problems with them are that I don't find the music interesting at all and where are the lyrics? I skip through the concert video and keep hitting "Wooooooooowwwww!" and then some playing and then more wooooows or mammas or whatever. It seems the singer is constantly showcasing his voice, which is a pretty impressive voice, but I need more substance.

They are very talented and have potential but need to find their own thing. If they have their own thing, I couldn't hear it. I know they're young but so were a lot of great unique bands.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.