Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Managed to get a few tickets to their Troubadour show next month. They've added 2 additional dates and keep selling out in under 2 min. Small venue, but there's some excitement out in LA for the native MI band which is always great.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would hope that these guys are recording at least some of their live shows. It would be great to hear a live album from them.

gillcup and aroney like this.
  3. RandelPink

I would assume so too, although I think they're gearing up for a full album release next summer. I'll report back after the show list whatever else they play whether covers or originals. Still only the 4 official tracks off the EP from earlier this year.

4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Man what a total Zeppelin rip off in every possible way in that music video wow! Like the singer is not only just ripping off Robert Plant at age 19 in terms of the shrieks and vocal style and even little Plant mannerisms, he is taking is "signature" stage moves like hand movements and whatnot. Its insane

I don't know, to me I just cannot shake how this is basically kid-Zeppelin and all it does is make me want to put in LZII and listen to the real thing.

FrixFrixFrix and Gumboo like this.
  5. RandelPink

I get it, and yes it's most definitely LZ inspired EP. Rip-off? I'd disagree mainly because they are 4 all original songs that they've written as long as 4 years ago. I presume you're a JW fan based on your handle (cause Hotel Yorba as a hotel is... well don't need to go there) so wouldn't you almost want to put this into a similar category with all of his issue with 'similar sounding' bands?

JW along with LZ are certainly not doing anything new, playing the same blues from almost century ago. I for one am ecstatic and overly excited to see where this goes. I was interested when I heard they're from MI (I'm biased, I miss home), but I was hooked once I heard the EP.

aroney likes this.
  6. RandelPink

Greta Van Fleet

That article says it a lot better than I did

aroney likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

I think for me the main difference is for with Jack White, he has his own sound both vocally and even instrumentally when it comes to playing simple things but in a unique way. Where sure from a pure songwriting and instrumentation standpoint it is nothing new, he brings it into the "Jack White" soundscape that is unmistakable. This isn't Jack White trying to emulate every tiny little vocal mannerism of a singer that came before him, this is Jack White bringing what came before him into a totally new light. With Greta... I don't hear a new light I just hear an old light that doesn't shine as bright as the real thing

With this band, I have heard a few more of their songs, and well to me I just cannot shake the Zeppelin soundscape and just find it to be more like a novelty act (aka look how close I can sound just like Robert Plant from 1969 down to every tiny vocal mannerism) while the songs leave me a bit.... cold overall.

As a musician myself I respect these dudes for rocking and wanting to keep rock alive in modern times, I just cannot really listen to them without halfway through a song wanting to listen to "the real thing" and put on actual Robert Plant/LZ tunes

8. RandelPink

Very well said and great points too. I've read they have almost a full album worth of material, and that the other unreleased songs are going to sound less LZ like, so we'll see. Maybe more time and maturity will help round out a more unique approach for GVF, which I think JW does do a great job at (huge fan).

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  9. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

It goes beyond the sound... the kid even mimics Robert Plants movements and mannerisms when on stage.

10. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

These kids will get lots of sex for sure.

11. rockclassics

I have also read that they are workimg on a studio album. But next summer is a long way away. I hope they can maintain the interest. It would seem they would want to strike while the iron is hot and get some more product out there...even if it is another EP or live recording of a couple of their shows.

aroney likes this.
  12. rockclassics

Did someone say mud shark? ;)

13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Well, that is where the rubber meets the road. If you don't like the songs, you're not gonna like the band. Despite their sound being very interesting to me, I wouldn't be excited about them at all if I did not think the songs were top notch.

The original plan was to release 2 more EP's. Now, they have decided to get an album out sometime in November, according to a recent interview.

RandelPink likes this.
  14. rockclassics

That is very encouraging. I have the EP and I'm really looking forward to a full album.

artfromtex likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

Yeah I saw Percy's "duck lips" and hand movements copied in that clip as well

16. HotelYorba101

Absolutely! I think that they have some talent as musicians and obviously have good taste in music to begin with so I definitely am going to check back into this band a little while down the road and see what they are capable of :)

17. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

I'm sure they're fine... I listened to a little bit and it didn't grab me... kinda reminds me of Wolfmother.

I guess there's only room in my life for one Zep... goes back to Replacements album

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Checked out 'Highway Tune'. The kid's voice is amazing, I have to say. Also a pretty good riff and solo.

What these lads have to do to become a really credible rock music force is separate themselves from an image as a Zep cover band with their songwriting. But for now, yeah, there's definitely promise there. They have caught my attention.

artfromtex likes this.
  19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Eddie Trunk had them on his show, which is where I became aware.
    Hopefully they'll keep the flag flying!

rynopinn likes this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Zeppelin is my favourite band and I think the Zeppelin rip off accusations are over blown. There's a clear Classic Rock influence, not even solely Zep here either, but I would not call these guys a Zeppelin rip off.

They also have decent songs as well.

People should be a lot more worried about the fact the singer has a rats tail haircut than any Zeppelin rip off IMO. :)

Quincy and RandelPink like this.
  21. artfromtex

Agreed. I hear some Triumph and Rush in there as well. Especially on "Black Smoke Rising".

SuiteMadameBlue likes this.
  22. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

Wow, that dude really does sound like Robert Plant.

Gonna check out this EP now.

EDIT: On song two and they don't suck yet...what is happening this is current rock music I'm digging.

23. artfromtex

I think all 4 tracks are great. I never listen to that EP once. I always play it a few times in a row.

24. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

These guys are really good for their age and experience! I will get their EP which is only going to be available here Sept 22nd. Very energetic, and intriguing. They need to put out a full album now while their "hot", using that term loosely of course. They appear to be selling out everywhere based on what I read, mind you smaller venues, but still there appears to be something there also given some posters' experience at their concert. Wow!

rockclassics likes this.
  25. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

Just started it up again! Flower Power proves they can combine acoustic and electric stuff, too, that's awesome. Has that very Zeppelin songwriting feel. Probably my favorite track out of the 4. They even got an organ on it!

I remember years ago when Wolfmother came onto the scene everyone was comparing them to Zep, but they had all the "heavy" and none of the "light", as it were, their stuff got boring after a a listen or two. But this gives me some hope.

This kids have got it. Hope they can break out and be successful. Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

rockclassics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.