Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I get why there's something of a buzz about them. But having watched a live in-studio clip, I felt like I was watching some School of Rock graduates who'd seen "The Song Remains The Same" a few too many times. And the drummer has *the* LZII Bonham Ludwig maple kit. It went beyond stylistic homage, IMO.

Talented dudes. It's the kind of talent that deserves to find its own sound. But I know that rock fans these days are desperate to have something that resurrects and keeps alive the sound they've liked for decades.

violetvinyl, Blastproof and PDK like this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I pre-ordered their new double EP on 10/31 from Amazon Prime and I am getting this message:

Pre-ordered
    Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Anyone else getting this? Has anyone's CD shipped yet?

3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

My first impression on hearing GVF was that it was a Zeppelin sound/vibe without being a direct rip-off. Honestly, what I like most about them is the way the rhythm section keeps the songs rolling. It feels loose and has good energy to it in a way that the "locked to the grid" contemporary types don't bother with. This could be Pro Tools-ed to death, but it doesn't sound like it is.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The only Zep I hear in them is in the vocals and in the guitar a bit. The drummer plays more like Tommy Lee than John Bonham, so there's no swagger at all. The bassist isn't nearly as melodic as JPJ either. Not a bad band, and I'm glad they exist, but I feel like Zeppelin was Zeppelin. Rather than try to emulate Zep, go past what they did.

violetvinyl likes this.
  5. artfromtex

Day of release and Amazon is out of stock and my pre-order placed on the first day it was announced has not been shipped. WTF?

#5 on Amazon too. Did they underestimate demand?

6. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

Same thing happened with my preorder. Amazon has been terrible for me in the last few months. I have had to cancel 9 of the last 12 orders because of this kind of issue. I'm just going to have to buy somewhere else from now on.

7. artfromtex

This is a first for me. Very frustrating.

BTW, HD Tracks has is for $12.98

8. artfromtex

HD10NOV gets you 15% off.
    :righton:

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Same here. Out of stock on day of sale? Makes zero sense.

And HD Tracks only allows purchases of the entire EP. I already purchased the last one, why do I have to pay twice for the same songs?

I guess I'll just stream on Spotify until hard copies are available.

artfromtex likes this.
  10. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I ended up buying it from best buy online. 7 bucks and some change with free shipping since I'm an elite member. Waiting for a shipping notification.

artfromtex likes this.
  11. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

These guys sound like the band I desperately wanted to be in when I was 16/17, which is now the most boring thing I could possibly think of.

The singer's Robert Plant schtick is painfully annoying and the Zeppelin-by-numbers music isn't terribly interesting either.

JL6161, violetvinyl and Boswell like this.
  12. aroney

So, not a fan, eh? :laugh:

13. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Absolutely dig GVF...hopefully going to see them in December. I think Page should venture out of the house and produce an album for them. Really. Many bands can cover Zeppelin but these kids can channel it and I don't see it as a problem. Anything that mutes the dull/uninspired whisper chorus electronica or smarmy pseudo urban folk is a welcome addition.

Runicen likes this.
  14. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I ordered it today from Target.com and it shipped (free) already. I should have it on Tuesday. I'm cancelling my Amazon order.

artfromtex likes this.
  15. artfromtex

Dangit. Amazon really crapped the bed on this one. I'll just wait. I may go ahead and get the 44/24 version on HD Tracks and then just have the CD as a memento.

16. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

Bought the "From the Fires" at a local record store today and listening to it now. To be honest, I'm excited. No need to repeat previous observations, but I think some of the comparisons are a bit lazy. They're pulling from a wide range of influence as evidenced by covers of Sam Cooke and Richard Thompson. I would compare them to the Lemon Twigs, not in the way they sound, but in the way they can play and write and sound nothing like anything else out there today. They're just kids so there is a good chance they'll come into their own. And even if they were strictly derivative of Zeppelin and a few others (which they're not) it's better than the other stuff that's passing for rock these days. I'd rather hear a Zep knock off than Imagine Dragons ANY DAY!!!!!

Lownote30, HfxBob, KeninDC and 4 others like this.
  17. aroney

Outstanding post. Well played sir! :righton:

18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Thank you! Please deliver us from Imagine Dragons.

19. artfromtex

Got the 44.1/24 ALAC from HD Tracks for $11.03. I am gonna keep my order with Amazon and get it when I get it.

I really like the 4 new songs. Surprised that 2 were covers when they have so many originals. It's cool that they covered Sam Cooke.

Now I have to get used to hearing the BSR tracks in a different order/context.

Everyone digging the new tunes?

20. aroney

Yes. Good stuff! And you are correct they've been playing quite a few originals that didn't appear on this latest EP. They'll likely show up on the next one.

artfromtex likes this.
  21. artfromtex

The 2 new originals are fantastic. "Talk On The Street" is a groovin' tune. The Sam Cooke cover is awesome. The other cover is a bit "meh" to me. That's the first GVF track that hasn't blown me away. But, it is still pretty good and it flows well within the album.

aroney likes this.
  22. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Well said! I bought their "Highway" song when it was released. It struck me like it was only the "flavor of the year," and I pretty much dismissed it. On Friday, my son called to tell me about how much the whole record reminds him of me, and it makes him laugh with joy about how effin good it is. So I bought it on iTunes. Seven bucks. Money well spent. The bassist really carries some of the songs, which I love. Big, crunchy sound, fun songs, and actual instruments miked and played well. As I just said to my son, "they obviously took their Zeppelin pills." It works!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    aroney and Runicen like this.
  23. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

That's me every time! This one has grown on me over the three times I've been able to listen. We'll see how long it lasts. :wave:

overdrivethree likes this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

:thumbsdow

25. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

I'm very much enjoying their double EP, for what it's worth.

aroney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.