Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden's Gate - second album thread (04/16/2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

"Greta Van Fleet have released a new single, Age Of Machine, and announced their second album The Battle at Garden’s Gate. It'll be released on April 16 next year.

The band have also launched a website to coincide with the single release, ageofmachine.com...If you're thinking that album title sounds a little churchy, well, that's deliberate. "There are definitely Biblical references,” Josh tells Rolling Stone. “Not just in the title, but throughout the entire album.

"This is a world with the ancient civilisations in it, just like our own parallel universe, really. It’s an analogy. Each song is a theme. A magnification of different cultures and civilisations inside of this world searching for some kind of salvation or enlightenment."

"We realised that whilst growing up, we had been shielded by many things and we were unaware of a lot of things," says drummer Danny Wagner. "And then we were thrown out into this huge world, and it was a bit of a culture shock at first. But as we started to travel a lot, meet new and different people and experience different cultures, our definition of 'normal' changed." "I suppose that everything has changed except what got us here in the first place," adds bassist Sam Kiszka. "Everything – our perception of the world, perception of life itself, what it means to be an artist, what it means to be part of a beautiful, gorgeous society. We've gained a larger understanding of why we're all here.""

The new single, Age of Machine:

Looks like vinyl and CD preorders are up in their store:

https://thebattleatgardensgate.com/wear/

Stormrider77, Zeki, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. Brendan K

The first single, My Way, Soon:

Who'sTommy, Sean, LarryP and 5 others like this.
  3. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I like the single. These guys catch a lot of flack on here but I'm just happy to see young people who want to actually play instruments and want to rock.

4. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Has it been confirmed that My Way Soon is going to be on the album? I assume it will but we don’t know for sure, do we?

5. Brendan K

ITunes Store has My Way, Soon listed at #2 on the track list and Age of Machine at #5.

The Battle at Garden’s Gate by Greta Van Fleet

JasonA likes this.
  6. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Is that the gate to the garden of Evermore? :)

Fullbug, phillyal1 and fairaintfair like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Good to know that this current generation of teenagers will have just as much of a chance to listen to Dungeons & Dragons prog rock operas as we had back in the day.

8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

The sound of the guitar on this reminds me of Jefferson Airplane or Quicksilver Messenger Service, somehow. I like the raw quality of the reverb ...

I'm eating a bit of crow -- I was dismissive of these guys at first. I pulled out the two records I have by them and listened the other day, and got my kicks. I'll be in for this next one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    iggyd, ceddy10165, bpmd1962 and 17 others like this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My kids love their records. I’ve taken them to a show which I myself found impressive. I don’t get all the hate they receive. (My wife is a first cousin of Rebecca Black). These guys have real talent. They play some pretty good songs. Love ‘em or leave ‘em alone.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

New video 'Age of Machine'

It does have a 'No Quarter' vibe

11. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  12. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

...aka 'The Return Of Sister Mary Elephant'.

And there I was, thinking 2020 couldn't possibly get any worse.

13. Apache Chief

I'm really liking the two singles so far, both present two completely different sounds from the band. My Way, Soon is doesn't take itself too seriously and sounds like it was a fun time to record. On the other hand "Age of Machine" is a cinematic track akin to something like the similarly titled Age of Man from their last album.

Which song I prefer? Tough choice, but I would pick Age of Machine. Right off the bat it sounds like more time was put into the creation of the track (My Way, Soon was written and recorded in a night), Josh's lyrics are much stronger and I prefer the apocalyptic vibe it gives off instrumentally.

There's already a dedicated thread for My Way, Soon but I'll go ahead and post it. This is the album thread, after all

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    carlwm, parman, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Can’t wait!! For the new album that is... the GVF bashing on the other hand is about the biggest snooze-fest.

MonkeyTennis, Dartman, carlwm and 4 others like this.
  15. Apache Chief

Agh! Just realized I put 2020 in the title instead of 2021, oh well

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

17. parman

parman Music Junkie

I wish them luck

Weirwolfe and bhazen like this.
  18. Apache Chief

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I wouldn't worry about it, a few more threadcraps and the gort's will have it locked/deleted in no time :laugh:

georgwithoutane and Apache Chief like this.
  20. Apache Chief

Sorry for overlooking your thread @Brendan K ! The one I foolishly created has been merged

Anyway, here's Tuesday night's performance of My Way, Soon on Colbert for completion's sake

21. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

I suspect all the hate they get is a reaction to all the hype they got with their first EP. Trolls can't stand other people's enthusiasm and positivity and feel the need to bring others down.
    I am not enthusiastic nor dismissive about this band. They're definitely promising. Their 2 EPs sound great and show surprising musicianship and production. Great 'live' sound. The songs are OK by me. Not great but catchy and promising.
    Their 1st album is more uneven in my opinion. Great 1st half, but the rest I find boring and uninspired. And the production is worse than that of the EPs, especially regarding the drums. They lose a lot of their Bonham-inspired power.
    Still, I'll keep following them. This band gives me hope.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't love them, but I'll take them over 99% of what's on the top 50 these days.

At their best, they're catchy and they rock. I wish I could say that about pretty much anything else that breaks through these days.

I don't get all the hate.

ceddy10165, Weirwolfe, BDC and 7 others like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

The two new songs are great; and "Age Of Machine", in particular, breaks new ground for them. I'm hearing an identity emerge, a kind of more gothic feel(?). I'm very much looking forward to the new album.

ceddy10165 and Apache Chief like this.
  24. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Age is the first thing I've heard that didn't make me cringe , I kinda like it . I'm trying extra because their a hometown thing but for me they kinda suck up to this point.
    The elf vocals irk me , the leads are bland and the drummer can't swing.
    The saving grace is the bass player.
    The production is modern vanilla.
    I want to sit the boys down and play them
    Some Blue Cheer / Stooges records or something if you follow me they need more grit some teeth gnashing.
    It's like somebody put Zep through a Foo Fighters grinder.

25. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Great band and great songs. We saw them a couple of years ago at an outdoor show where they opened for the Foo Fighters. Huge crowd as a result and, boy, did they rock. The crowd was absolutely into them with full support. To be sure, they need refinement and more experience but, as someone said above, it great to see young kids rocking out!