Greta Van Fleet - The Battle at Garden's Gate - second album thread (04/16/2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brendan K, Dec 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Rebecca went through a lot of awful stuff - a real shame. I'm rooting for her!

FJFP and sonofjim like this.
  2. debased

debased Senior Member

I like this, they're getting better. The opening reminds be of a slowed down "Electioneering."

I'm willing to give the new album a listen. That's miles away from where I was with them a year ago.

3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

live version of age of machine. great track imo

4. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

New single “Heat Above”

5. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Seems Josh Kiszka has moved on from wanting to be Robert Plant and now wants to sing like Geddy Lee and look like Freddy Mercury. I really can't comment on their music because I just can't get past how ridiculous he comes off.

6. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I love the new songs but admit those outfits... I dunno...:shrug:

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I sort of agree; they've all got an odd fashion sense, especially Josh. Thankfully not an issue when I'm enjoying the CD's. :) (I'm an old man, anyhow; I stopped being 'fashionable' around 1980.)

I think the upcoming album will be crucial for their ongoing career -- will CD sales/streams be enough to sustain them in a non-touring environment?

8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to hearing these guys grow musically. I really liked the debut album when it first came out, and I’ve sort of moved on from it, but someone’s gotta cary the “classic rock sound” torch.

jc1027 and bhazen like this.
  9. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the new album, I've liked all of their stuff so far.

And to everyone who's lurking in this thread that hate Greta Van Fleet, can you just not post in this thread? It's getting tiresome that every thread about this band is filled with people who absolutely must tell you how much they think they suck.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

All of the criticisms of them -- most valid, I think -- are secondary to the fact that they just rock. :)

I occasionally roll my eyes at the secondhand Plant-isms ... but I still get my kicks!

Rikiii, jammincrowe and carlwm like this.
  11. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

GLWT / don't hold your breath

astro70 likes this.
  12. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

It's only a matter of time before there is a mud-shark story related to that band. I will say I listened to a couple of the new songs posted in this thread and I thought they were very good. Can't wait for a video so I can see what the lead singer is wearing for foot apparel.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Man at C&A, vinylkid58 and craymcla like this.
  14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I must admit I do like the two new songs released from this new album. The singers voice still grates on me a bit but I am coming around. Shall probably buy it!

BDC and piepants like this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This is my take. They don't really do the sort of rock music that I like but I'm glad they exist, if only to prove to the naysayers that rock is alive and in reasonable spirits.

Good luck to them! :righton:

16. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

RAWK! These kids get it.

L O N G
    L I V E
    F U Z Z !

17. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I guess you missed this:
    And my earlier response:

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's annoying that you can't express a dislike for these guys without being called a 'troll'. A pathetic insult in itself.

I don't like them either. The biggest defence of them I see is that they rock. I'm not convinced they do very well. They often sound puny to me and have no groove at all. They can play but have very little imagination. They also look like they're always wearing 'rock God' outfits from a cheap fancy dress shop. If rock has come to this being one of the best bands around then it's on life support.

The thing is, if they can get the right producer, someone who can give them real raw power, the singer calms down a bit (I thought he sounded fine on the TV performance clip, then he started squealing), they appear less self conscious and get a good image together, there might be a good band in there. There's obvious talent. I don't go for the 'they're young' thing at all. So were most of the great rock bands and they were way ahead of this.

Ultimately, they're harmless and I don't begrudge their success. I can't deny their passion and that's good to see in a band.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Spot on. Whatever I post here, good or bad, I don't expect people to agree or have their opinion changed to mine. That's where arguing about music becomes silly. It very rarely leads anywhere. No-one's going to convince you Back To Back by Status Quo isn't great and why should anyone even try?

I never put an IMO on any of my posts though as that should be obvious. I also won't be told I'm wrong about any positive opinions I have, but am always open to negative ones being changed. We all get things wrong on first impressions sometimes or tastes change. This is only to some extent though. I'm not listening to Robbie Williams for anyone and no-one could convince me he has any merit!

20. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I'm still on the fence with these guys after listening to the new 3 songs. I really want to like them, but something isn't quite right. The singer sounds like a forced voice of early Geddy and Jon Anderson. As others have mentioned I'm a fan of anyone young that plays their own instruments and wants to rock out. Maybe in a few years his voice will change and it will be more attractive to me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

But haven't you heard his third album? It's an underrated classi....no you're right. He's a lost cause! :D

There have probably been PHDs written on how tastes develop. I know that I have two categories of performers I don't like: ones where I can see the merit so understand why others might enjoy them, and ones where I just can't find any reason how anyone could possibly get anything out of the music at all (see your example above :)) but, like you, I'm happy to respect the opinions of people who like stuff in the second category. All power to them. :righton:

Bluesman Mark, ragepil and Man at C&A like this.
  22. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I quite like a few of their songs. Black Smoke Rising and When the Curtain Falls are GREAT songs. Albums are a bit of a mixed bag for me so haven't invested in any. I do like this latest Age of Machine...some interesting guitar sounds and overall vibe, but then I'm not that into the other songs represented on the new album so far. I hope they find their own unique style...as has already been mentioned, there's talent there, they just have to develop it further.

carlwm likes this.
  23. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Here's the thing: there's always the possibility that their music might some day equal or even transcend the artists & styles it so shamelessly & ineptly mimics at present; but GFF will never be taken seriously by anyone with a modicum of taste & intelligence whilst they persist with a 'vocalist' who sounds & looks as risible as the current imbecilic incumbent.

Bluesman Mark and ragepil like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm sure you can aswell, but I can see the merit in the majority of things. As they are now, apart from being able to play, I don't see much in Greta Van Fleet, but they could get it right somewhere along the way.

Bluesman Mark and carlwm like this.
  25. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

I too was dismissive of this band when they first hit the scene. I bought into the ZEP knock-off idea. But with these last 3 singles, I will say (and this may be a stretch), they could save rock & roll, whatever's left of it. The single 'My Way, Soon' is about the catchiest rock & roll Ive heard in years.

I can only hope they spur excitement for rock & roll among the younger audience. I believe this band will go on to do great things. They definitely have time on their side.

Man at C&A, carlwm and Rufus rag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.