Groove Reconstruction!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madlove, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

I have an original copy of this great LP: [​IMG]
    The first track on side B had a bad skip. I thought I'd try to do some groove reconstruction, like this:
    I bought one of these: [​IMG]
    I located the skip using my turntable and manual spinning, then found what looked like the problem area under the magnifier. I traced the grooves through the bad section using a dental pick like this: [​IMG]
    I did my best, although it sure didn't look pretty and I thought it might be doing more harm than good.
    But it worked! The record plays now without skipping.
    It really felt great to revive a damaged LP. If you're so inclined, try it!

2. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

Some people have had luck using a wooden toothpick as well.

3. Madlove

I've had luck with a wooden toothpick when dislodging something hard from the grooves. I had tried this method on the LP but wasn't able to fix the skip. I knew then that the problem must be a bit more hardcore. Under the magnifier, I tried the pick end of one of those plastic floss handles as well as a sewing needle. The floss handle pick seemed too big and left a lot of residue on the LP. The sewing needle was too difficult to maneuver.

4. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Hmm, I've done the same thing with a toothpick. I like the idea of the dental pick. Where do you get those?

5. Madlove

6. Madlove

Update: The dental tool is steel / metal and can too easily damage the grooves, if you go to far, as I did recently when trying to re-groove a skip on an album. As can a needle or pin. I actually made the skip worse. A toothpick is a good tool but I was looking for something in the comfortable, handy shape and curve of the dental tool, but not metal. For those interested, I found what seems to be the perfect thing, in a non-obvious spot: Tipton Polymer Gun Cleaning Picks
    These picks claimed to be able to clean a gun but not scratch it. With nothing to lose, I attempted to repair my damaged album and incredibly it worked. I found I could apply pressure with these tools and attempt a re-groove, without the threat of doing further serious further damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.