Groups that North Americans see different to the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think you miss my point there are some singers/bands that had practically zero crossover despite being massive in their respective countries. anyone who knows classic rock in America knows queen and can probably sing bohemian rhapsody

PhoffiFozz and Witchy Woman like this.
  2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Queen were big in the US up to the Game after that they conquered the rest of the world in a huge way. Queen were and are part of the classic rock radio playlist here.

3. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

Dave Matthews Band

I don't know anyone who owns an album by him and I know some mighty collectors.

4. Ricardo Perfecto

Ricardo Perfecto Forum Resident

Robbie Williams, Jamiroquai and Simply Red have all had huge and sustained careers, each being close to the biggest selling and live drawing act in the world at some point, without any sustained US success, in Robbie’s case none at all. ABBA were the second highest selling band in the world after the Beatles for decades, still huge most places but only middling in the States. On the other hand asides from the obvious country acts, most of the US mainstream arena rock acts in the Boston-REO Speedwagon-Journey-Kansas-Styx vein were one or two hit wonders in much of the rest of the world.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  5. Agree on Weller and the Jam, but Paul has himself to blame there. He wasn't willing to do the work to make it big in the US like the Clash, Zep, etc.,

Nick Drake is a little harder to quantify but, I would be willing to bet his sales in the US are equal, if not even a little larger than, his sales in the UK.

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That is the first band that came to mind. They have always been pretty big here in the States, yet not sure they made much of a dent anywhere else. Have they ever toured anywhere but North America?

GyroSE likes this.
  7. Indeed, no less hard rocking or corny than Cold Chisel.

Hammerpeg and Ricardo Perfecto like this.
  8. Ricardo Perfecto

Not a sniff in Australia. Add Phish etc to the list. Jimmy Buffett and Grateful Dead are not unknown outside the states but their huge live followings are unique to the US.

DaveJ, Blank Frank, blutiga and 4 others like this.
  9. Indeed, we all have our crosses to bear, and it equals out in the end.

Ricardo Perfecto likes this.
  10. Ricardo Perfecto

Great band, BCO, but sadly their first Australian gig ever was 2013 in a 500 capacity nightclub that was far from full.

zphage likes this.
  11. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Probably a lot of hip-hop and country “groups” fit the bill. But then again the “rest of the world” is a pretty big, diverse place, and encompasses much more than the English-speaking world.

12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Most of the early rock and roll greats aside from Elvis: Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, etc. - In their own time they were a lot bigger in Britain than at home, and to this day I've met my share of British fans who are shocked to learn most Americans know one or two of their songs, tops.

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't know much about Sparks and I didn't always agree with The Rolling Stone Record Guide, but I still smile at the RSRG's last word on the band:

Docked one star per album for being partially responsible for Queen.

:laugh:

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wish he had never been heard of in America!

:crazy: I don't know where on earth you got that idea! Toto may be pop, but they are nowhere near novelty. Are you sure you know what novelty means?

Their hits, and at least their first two albums are very well known here in the U.S.. Mike Hucknall is very recognizable.

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Outside fanatics the Move are known in the US, if at all, as some band Jeff Lynne had before ELO

Small Faces are one-hit wonders here

I've read that in the UK Paul Revere & The Raiders are essentially a cult act, if even that. Did the Revolutionary War garb open up old wounds?

Jarleboy and MungoMusic like this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Responsible for Queen? That reminds me why I don't read outdated stuck in the 60s Rolling Stone magazine.

:laugh:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

That's hilarious ! I love Sparks, but don't like Queen at all...

saturnsf, MikeM. and Hermes like this.
  18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was shocked to see how many records they've sold. Their first 7 albums are all multi-platinum, the first two are 6x and 7x platinum! And they have another 5 live albums that went platinum, a couple of those are multi-platinum too.

It goes to show, I think I've met a couple of people who were big Dave Matthews Band fans (and I know plenty of people who are into other jam bands,) but that's it, I never would have thought they were that big.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Aerosmith is a band that I see as being more highly regarded in the US than they are elsewhere

20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I thought Led Zeppelin & David Bowie put into a blender was responsible for Queen.

klockwerk, Hermes, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I am going to suggest Iron Maiden. They seem to be much more popular outside of the United States.

22. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Blur
    Oasis... yes, but I'd say Blur is more obscured here.

Then there's ABBA.
    While I think Mamma Mia (the film) has exposed them, I don't think they're anywhere as popular as in Europe.

23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Glam and Britpop didn't really crossover to the US. Grunge, Heartland and (Corporate) Arena rock didn't really do much over there. Mark Winstanley recently did a number of threads on Aussie Pub rock bands.

When bands don't crossover, fans miss out (IMO).

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We have a whole thread debating the popularity of ABBA in the U.S.. I think it all boiled down to what you listened to in the 70s.

WolfSpear likes this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

NO, it all boils down to how many records they sold.

Hermes, mikedifr0923 and unclefred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.