Groups that North Americans see different to the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

If it's not being nosy, may I ask what this is?

2. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Renaissance, as little as I know pushed more records in the US in their prime than anywhere else, and despite frequently touring they hardly ever hit anywhere but the US. I'd even argue they had a bigger fanbase in Brazil than they ever did in the UK. For a group so English as them having bigger success across the world seems really weird, and I'm aware they're only hit was a UK no. 10 and that was it, the touring and album sales seem very biased towards the US, despite them being rather obscure anywhere.

Can Utility likes this.
  3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Americans (some of them on this forum) think Free was a one-hit wonder pop band. Conversely, Britons think of the (Young) Rascals as a one-hit wonder act on the basis of Groovin'. They are otherwise completely unknown over here.

Jeff Buckley was/is a megastar in Australia but probably a cult artist (at best) in his own country.

Elton John is/was a 'serious' rock star in America, with critical attention to match his sales. In Britain, though successful, he stopped being taken seriously around 1975 and is often referred to as 'the queen mother of pop.'

Paul McCartney is similarly taken very seriously by Americans and (these days, at least) given critical attention equal to Lennon's. This has not been the case in Britain since the early 80s. In fact, he's pretty much taken for granted here and the Frog Chorus looms large in any discussion of his work.

The Grateful Dead's name is widely known in Britain: if you were stop a random person in the street and ask them who the Grateful Dead are, you'd probably be told 'a band' but that's the extent of most people's knowledge. Hardly anyone could give the title of a song or an album. Isn't it the case that they rarely toured outside America after 1972?

In the 60s, Bob Dylan was HUGE in Britain and Ireland and this was his most loyal and intense fanbase. I get the impression that during the same period, his appeal in America was limited to students and influential intellectuals who gave him a stronger media profile than his sales and chart positions suggested. This situation was reversed somewhat in the 70s when he was actually more popular in America, scoring chart-topping albums and doing high profile tours.
    But I still think he's one of those artists who is 'known' apart from his work. I'm sure a lot of people are unaware that Dylan wrote Blowin' In The Wind (a song widely known to just about everyone in the western world).

In Britain and possibly in the rest of Europe, too, the J. Geils Band is seen as a pop act on the basis of Centrefold, their only hit. Their background as a blues bar band is unknown.

Probably every Italian of a certain age knows Van Der Graaf Generator and is familiar with their music. I don't think this is true of any other country in the world.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Seabass, maandrade, Jarleboy and 8 others like this.
  4. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Boston, Journey, Van Halen are one hit wonders over here in Europe, seem to be much bigger in the US.
    The Who and Led Zeppelin are still well remembered, but seem to be revered more in the US as well, judging by the forum threads here.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not even that. They are completely unknown in Britain and the only way you'd become aware of them is by researching American charts from the mid-sixties. I've never even heard one of their songs played on the radio.

The War of Independence was not taught in History in my day (we tended to focus exclusively on what happened in Britain), so it's unlikely the costumes would have caused offence. In fact, I'm pretty sure no-one would have known what they 'meant'. But PR and the R never even got that far - no radio play, hence no television exposure.

The Civil War costumes didn't hurt Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, though - one chart-topper and one top ten hit in 1968.

Jarleboy, olsen and Blank Frank like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Unfortunately, you are correct
    Who of that era is revered in the UK?

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'd agree with that, not very successful outside of the US as well as being considered little more than a bad joke really

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

His father is a cult act. Jeff is definitely better known than that. I've had plenty of arguments w/people who prefer his version of "Hallelujah" to John Cale's

Few people here could name one of their songs other than the hit single (was it a hit in the UK?). What makes the Dead noteworthy is the Trekkie-like devotion of their fanbase.

Dylan was a huge star in the US from the single success of "LARS" on

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

No. No Dead single has ever troubled the charts here. I don't think their albums have ever charted, either.

Blank Frank likes this.
  10. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

You guys loved Bush. I don't get it! England generally doesn't get it. Bush? Why?

Some of your own acts didn't export well, but then, I doubt there's many Hootie and the Blowfish fans on here. Though you never know!

11. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Queen. They're probably the U.Ks favourite group, even more than the Beatles these days.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

His version of Hallelujah is the best-known version worldwide. A lot of people think he actually wrote the song.

Grace was an international hit but Tim Buckley didn't seem get any reflected glory from his son's success. In Britain, Tim is deeply obscure and doesn't even approach cult act level. If he is known at all, it is casually as 'father of Jeff'. Most of his music is deeply uncommercial and difficult for radio to programme. I've rarely heard it even on 6 Music where it wouldn't sound out of place.

Jarleboy and Blank Frank like this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Queen have a huge casual fanbase, which is the surest route to mega-sales. Their 1981 Greatest Hits got/gets everywhere.

Jarleboy and Black Magic Woman like this.
  14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

A lot of people predicted the country would eventually go to hell if the Reform Act of 1832 was passed. Turns out they were right.

15. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident Thread Starter

What?

E.Baba and Sondek like this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

They had at least some following there in the '70s, as a young Declan McManus is said to have been a fan

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Just a joke. Don't take it too seriously

Although the part about me disliking Queen is not a joke

18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Yeah, we know. You tell everyone every single opportunity you get. Anything past 1960 is daring for you.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Not true

I liked Gracie Fields until she went electric

20. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Following this forum it seems that The Byrds are considered as one of the most influential 60’s band.
    I don’t think they have similar status here in Europe. They’re seen by many as an obscure band with „this” song from Forrest Gump movie.

Jarleboy, Hermes and MungoMusic like this.
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Declan was/is a music obsessive and music obsessives are a breed apart.

Yes, the Dead got airplay via John Peel and the like (and that counted for a lot) but that didn't necessarily lead to meaningful sales.

Ditto Country Joe & The Fish - Peel used to tell a story of how he couldn't believe their first album never charted in Britain as 'literally everyone' he knew (and he knew a lot of people) owned it. Yet 'Freak Power' alone was not enough to secure a chart position.

22. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I´m not from the UK, but from mainland Europe. It´s been said here before, but Queen (not one of my personal favorites btw.) is almost as big as the Beatles or the Stones over here.

Jarleboy, Plan9 and danielbravo like this.
  23. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Excellent point - but is it still true?

I don't know any English people under thirty or so who think of Queen as anything more than a pop group with a couple of novelty hits (Under Pressure, mainly) and a charismatic frontman now deceased.

But then I move in pretty restricted circles, I guess.

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Cliff Richard & The Shadows.
    [​IMG]

Genuine superstars of Beatlesque proportions, and Hank Marvin influenced generations of guitarists, people think of a red fender guitar and picture Hank.

In the U.S. The Shadows are all but unknown (although far superior to the likes of The Ventures), and Cliff was lucky to have maybe the odd hit here and there in the late 70's.

Cliff & The Shads are music royalty, especially here in NZ.

RevUp64, 51IS, instrofan and 9 others like this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They're more popular with younger people than any of the other classic rock groups. "Pop group with a couple of novelty hits"? Why are you talking out of your butt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.