Groups that North Americans see different to the rest of the world

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Yes, but it was an Alvin and the Chipmunks role play thing we were into.

2. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Well, you kind of lost me with 'Le bon is a great lyricist'.

Some of the most awkward fifth form sub, sub Jim Morrison doggerel ever penned.

I wonder if he actually did smell like he sounded? (shudders)

Fastnbulbous and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hate to see her go
    Love to watch her leave
    I wanna show her
    What I got up my sleeve
    Go'n git love
    Go'n git love

Those are as close to great lyrics as I need in a rock song.

4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Yes to this... remember how rock and roll, regardless of how corporate it got, just rolled along and occasionally a DJ would pull an old Doors or Jefferson Airplane record out of the radio station collection and play an old song. The term classic rock did not exist and this weird, contrived classic rock canon that we have now just did not exist. Then, was it 1980??? suddenly there was a Doors Greatest Hits album released, there was the book, there was the movie Altered States where in the party scene Light My Fire was playing, and suddenly it was like uh oh, people started looking backwards and classic rock was born. For me, I bought Doors albums, but in the end I started listening to The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, U2, etc... and just kept moving forward with whatever was being thrown at me. I mean, Led Zeppelin was gone, Jon Anderson left Yes, and slowly large corporations started to realize that they could use these wonderful songs that I was so sentimental about to sell me Coke and Pepsi and cars. I mean, anyone in their 20's that listens to classic rock radio (streaming, whatever...) needs to know that it just has no relation to actual radio in the 70's. It's just a fabricated canon of catchy, mediocre, corporate tunes that can be used for commercial fodder. Trust me, those George Thorogood drinking songs that you hear very half hour on classic rock stations weren't actually a part of our rock radio experience... they were occasional, fun, novelty songs that your DJ might play on a Saturday night... not every half hour.

5. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Oh go away

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

T. Rex. In the USA they're seen as one hit wonders whereas everywhere else on the planet Marc Bolan's seen as one of the most important and influential individuals in music. The fact T. Rex is mentioned in songs by David Bowie, The Who and Serge Gainsbourg should be a big shoutout.

goodiesguy, Talisman954 and 131east23 like this.
  7. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

You are beyond annoying.

Zeroninety likes this.
  8. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

The prosecution rests yer honour.

dmiller458 likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

No idea who these are!

Is that proving or disproving a point? :)

Daniel Thomas, zen and Blank Frank like this.
  10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Bee Gees.
    After 1980, they were considered toxic by American radio programmers and many rock fans. Still revered throughout the rest of the world, however.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. dmiller458

It wasn't just the US. They didn't have a major British hit for eight years.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Did the Bee Gees release much between 1981 & 1987 apart from half a side on the Saying Alive soundtrack?

13. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Marc Bolan is pretty much obscure in Latin America, although “Get It On” is relatively known.

14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Roxy Music falls into this category too. I doubt most Americans could name a single song beside "Love Is the Drug", if that. They didn't get namedropped by other artists to my knowledge.

15. dmiller458

It's their only top 40 single here.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Most people in Australia remember Avalon and More Than This. Love is the Drug would have been their biggest hit but Oldies radio is geared towards the 80s.

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While not a complete failure this side (a #1, #2 and a couple other top 10 singles), what about Pet Shop Boys? In the UK they're viewed as pop legends and scored top 10 hits through the mid 00s but in the US faded from the charts after 1988. They've had success on the dance charts and a cult following stateside but definitely not on par with the volume of hits the UK knows. A shame since some of their best work came after they lost America

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Fastnbulbous

I don't remember hearing anything other than "West End Girls" here, and was glad to stop hearing it.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Honestly West End Girls, while sufficing as a fun little gimmicky 80s pop song, doesn't come anywhere near the best PSB work nor really is representative of their music or why they still have a career and loyal fanbase 35 years into their career

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Fastnbulbous

I'll take your word for it. TBH I didn't watch much MTV even when it was still showing music vids so I'm sure there were other songs (hopefully better ones) that I wasn't exposed to.

21. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

Isn't the case for most punk bands of that ilk? They were very much UK zeitgiest bands capturing the public mood of the youth at the time.

22. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

They've headlined the UK's second biggest (single site) music festival on a number of occasions. They're big in the UK within their demographic

23. Fastnbulbous

Did the Jam even tour North America? I'm sure they did but I don't remember. A punk band either needed to tour their a@@ses off (e.g. Ramones) or have a media-savvy manager (e.g. McLaren) to have any impact in the States. And even those bands never, ever got on the radio here.

24. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

38 Special. North Americans liked them. The rest of the world... not so much. (I did).

carlwm likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

According to setlist.fm, the Jam did a few US tours - nothing massive, but they did limited tours from 1977-82.

They also played on "Fridays" - the old "SNL" ripoff on ABC - in 1980, so they attempted to play the promotional game to some degree...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.