Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I was just listening to Still Life this morning.

Dreadnought likes this.
  2. lenny nero

opening track of the ep

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I just browsed the main music forum and I see that "Breaking News @Deuce66" beat me once again! :laugh:

Hey, that's pretty good and the video looks cool.

Deuce66 likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

I'll also be getting both. Unless I really dislike it. Song #8. Banemannen / The Garroter suggests there will be some musical violence. I hope so!

It's streaming now.

mmthmj and 100423 like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I didn't post in this thread because Opeth doesn't really fit the category anymore or will that change??

Dreadnought likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Hey, no explanation required. Opeth has a really big following here among the general SH crowd.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I really dig Opeth and have for some time, but they haven't been "metal" for quite awhile now. Honestly, I have expect the Metal Archives to kick 'em out, considering how militant they are about policing who gets included. Off the top of my head, I don't understand how a band like Helms Alee doesn't count as "metal". But that's a whole different topic not worth getting into here.

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. Dreadnought

Yes you guys are right that Opeth isn't strictly Metal anymore. Darkthrone also has moved far enough out from the hard line of the zone to probably be disqualified. Personally I'm not very strict about these things. Look at any "What is, when did Heavy Metal begin" thread to see otherwise intelligent, knowledgeable members fly moth-like straight into the flame. Not that I'm saying you guys are like that. I know you're not.

I have wondered if an adjustment or addition to the Grrrrr title could make it more inclusive. "Contemporary Metal", etc. Then it's treading on the "Official" thread which, though not stated, is locked in the 80's as in even new music is confined to 80's styles. People want a Classic Coke and Big Mac to never change. I get it. Then after two minutes of contemplation I've had enough of the subject and drop it. It's a democracy so if anyone has a suggestion go to it.

Just to be 100% clear I was entertained to see Deuce got the jump on me with the Opeth news. It's an unintentional ongoing comedy routine. :laugh:

9. Dreadnought

Band/ genre rename: Ogre and the Cave Warts Orchestra
    I like this niche subgenre more than the metal masses I think. Many albums I'll appreciate enough to buy and they gather dust but Antikatastaseis from 2015 is one I do play regularly enough.

[​IMG]

I'm pleased to see a new Abyssal album coming from the depths of the cavern. A Beacon In The Husk, by Abyssal They're also touring with maniacal technical terror Tchornobog but Montreal is the nearest to me they'll come.

June 21

lenny nero and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  10. Dreadnought

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  11. Dreadnought

Full stream is out.
    Having paid the preorder, to wait or not to wait, that is the question.

[​IMG]

12. Dreadnought

Another full stream the day before it goes on sale. This is certainly among the most interesting albums of 2019.

100423, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  13. lenny nero

listening to this one today, in prep for the new ep release

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  14. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I am really enjoying this one so far, it's different, but in a good way.

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Phanerothyme

Phanerothyme Forum Resident

Deathspell Omega is great as always, but not sure about the lyrics this time o_O

deredordica and Dreadnought like this.
  16. Dreadnought

The sound quality is very high as well. A very pleasurable album.

I'm not sure if I ever looked at their lyrics. I might have for Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice, being the album I've listened to the most. Their bandcamp has lyrics for Palingenesia but not for the others, now that I look. At a glance the lyrics/ prose poetry doesn't mean much to me. Initially "Furnaces" of the title set off a worrying alert for me so I had to look up "Palingenesia" and it's fine: Palingenesis (/ˌpælɪnˈdʒɛnəsɪs/; also palingenesia) is a concept of rebirth or re-creation, used in various contexts in philosophy, theology, politics, and biology. Its meaning stems from Greek palin, meaning again, and genesis, meaning birth.

The two albums are opposites of accessibility with GastiR - Ghosts Invited so easy to get into and Palingenesis so difficult. I'm gravitating to the soft spots of it hoping for a way in.

deredordica, lenny nero and Brenald79 like this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Got the new DSO album for $5.99 on 7digital. Same price on the USA and CAN store so it’s great deal here with the exchange rate. The Misþyrming is the same price.

lenny nero, 100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  18. Dreadnought

The (damaged band) Batushka album came out. I got halfway through it and moved on. I didn't hear the magic that was on the earlier album. Панихида, by Батюшка

I've been listening to something outside of the Black and Death zone. (The Death Zone...:cool: ). I suppose it would now be called Crust Sludge or something though it's clearly descended from or is Punk and Hardcore. Regardless of roots and tags I find the guitar universally awesome. Being from 1997 it amazes me that's 22 years old. It sounds like it could have come out yesterday. Pretty sure for bands like Temple Of Void and YOB, etc these guys are a virus in their brains. Fifteen songs in 25 minutes from Memphis, Tennessee and I do love that band name His Hero Is Gone.

1."Like Weeds" — 2:20
    2."Monuments to Thieves" — 1:53
    3."Paranoia Secured" — 0:20
    4."Carry On" — 1:42
    5."Automation" — 0:51
    6."Cavities" — 1:32
    7."Chain of Command" — 3:33
    8."Headless/Heartless" — 2:06
    9."Hinges" — 1:01
    10."Sin & Vice" — 1:31
    11."The Mess" — 1:09
    12."Disease of Ease" — 1:36
    13."Under Watchful Eyes" — 1:27
    14."Stacks" — 1:32
    15."The Unwanted Child" — 2:42

Three favs from Monuments To Thieves (1997). Full album stream.

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  19. Dreadnought

20. Dreadnought

21. lenny nero

new from dark descent records

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I saw Deicide, Jungle Rot, Origin, and The Absence last night and all of them really ripped the venue up. Glen Benton is not as intimidating as he's depicted in the media and in fact, has a good sense of humour!

23. lenny nero

Gaahl interview

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  24. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

The guy who is widely understood to be their vocalist is a known neo-Nazi, so your first instinct was probably correct.

deredordica and Dreadnought like this.
  25. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream