Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Just ordered my jewel case copy. I'm going to go broke if I keep following this thread...

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  2. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Awesome. That means well get a headliner local show here in Chicago.

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

5. lenny nero

Blayne takes on the possible Grrr disc o' the year

Dreadnought and Deuce66 like this.
  6. lenny nero

Beardo suggests some gifts

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Good thing for the preorder price but could be awhile before delivery. Amazon jacked it up to $31.92 and now says Nov29 release.

Deuce66 likes this.
  8. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Really sucks to hear. Unfortunately, as the US border "thickens", this kind of thing is becoming more common. For example, I've heard plenty of stories of Canadians trying to legally cross the border just to do some shopping or whatever, only to be banned from entering the US based on the whims of the customs officer on duty. Makes me worry how this will affect other international acts trying to tour the US in the future. This isn't good publicity for that.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

That's a great looking package! Wishing for a better look at the at 08 second mark of the inner LP cover. I feel like a chump laying out $8 for the songs and a measly jpg of the cover when you can get that plus all the awesome LP goodies for $23. Though that might be just the LP + download. The package at bandcamp described as "12" vinyl version of the new album from Blood Incantation "Hidden History of the Human Race". Comes with gate fold jacket, poster, printed inner sleeves (record packed in black paper sleeves to avoid seam splits) and 20-page booklet. Color variant - Sea blue / Silver merge with grimace purple+olive green+bone splatters. Includes unlimited streaming of Hidden History of the Human Race via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more" is sold out so it might have been priced higher than $23.

lenny nero likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It looks like Starspawn is getting the re-issue treatment :righton:.

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  12. Dreadnought

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

14. Dreadnought

Some of that medieval metal that I hate so much that I listened to this song five times in a row.

Also, Ford vs Ferrari is pretty good.

100423, lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  15. sons of nothing

1349. From Chicago. Killer Audio.

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. sons of nothing

1349 from Chicago. Awesome Audio.

Dreadnought likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

FYI, placed an order and you can basically double the US price to estimate the CAN price inc shipping. $41 US worth of CDs cost $85 CAN with the 10% coupon. Not bad for 10 CDs.

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

[​IMG]
    The cup of mine hand shall clothe her ladyship's fair bazongas.

Now into their previous album from 2015. I must say I've been seduced. It's like the flip-side of a coin with technical death metal; it is every bit as technical and complex but far gentler.

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Skyclad goes black metal...intrigued. Another folk/bm buzz band like SOAR.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  20. Dreadnought

I had to look up both those bands. Yeah the folk metals are whole sub-genres and well populated, which I sort of was aware of. I never warmed to it but I guess I'm in now. Now where do I buy a lute? ;)

lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Typo alert it's SAOR :D.

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

New Obsequiae is excellent -- Morrigan struck me as being one of the better tracks (among many great ones) from the new "The Palms of Sorrowed Kings" release

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Dreadnought likes this.
  24. Dreadnought

"Lone Isle" is the spell I'm under now. It needs to be played loud to be fully appreciated and the real track has some crucial fidelity lacking in the youtube transmission. On all the better tracks there are surprising developments. I think when listening to unfamiliar music the brain makes nano-second micro-predictions about what logically should come next. When what comes next is both unexpected and nano-second hindsight correct it comes across as revelatory. Obsequiae is doing this special thing. As pleasant sounding as the music is it's very heavy and the organ reminds me of Deep Purple or Rainbow. It's one of three Black Metal albums this year that is an achievement of excellence in the art. The opening minute is my favourite opening minute of any song this year.

ian christopher and lenny nero like this.
  25. Dreadnought

"Swedish prog-metal/rock legends OPETH are readying their awaited return to North America in 2020 for a winter tour with labelmates GRAVEYARD. In the meantime, the band has released a dark and eerie new animated video short for the Swedish language track “Ingen Sanning Är Allas,” from their recently released album, “In Cauda Venenum,” that’s available now via Moderbolaget/ Nuclear Blast. The video for the English version of the track, “Universal Truth,” will be revealed next Monday.
    The offbeat and beautifully crafted video short was created by renowned South African born animator/artist Jess Cope (“Frankenweenie,” “Metallica: Here Comes Revenge”) and follows a melancholic and bitter man on the brink of self-destruction and insanity as he delves into a sinister alternate world as reality crumbles around him. Cope previously collaborated with OPETH’s Mikael Åkerfeldt on the music video for “Drag Ropes” for his side project STORM CORROSION, with Steven Wilson. Working mainly with traditional animation methods, her shorts have an enticingly tactile look and feel to them and are brought to life with an unprecedented level of skill and attention to detail. Her emotive storytelling draws in audiences in a way that has seen her win multiple awards for her films in recent years."

OpethPA, lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.