Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Et Moriemur (Czechia) – Epigrammata (2018)
    Death/Doom Metal
    Keys abound in this release. Harpsichord, organ, synths… Really provides a nice counterbalance to the other instruments as do the chanted/choir type vocals and spoken passages that weave in and out with the more death-style grunts and black-ish wails. Production is nice and balanced and everything has a decent tone.
    Both beautiful and grotesque, this release is a keeper. I really enjoyed it.
    GRRR1/2

lenny nero, Dreadnought and heathen like this.
  2. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

This is really good on an initial listen. The keys are indeed interesting, and that acoustic guitar!

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Watched this at NCS, their series MOST INFECTIOUS EXTREME METAL SONGS, and I wonder if I missed a very good album. To be listened to entirely later.

Edit: upon second viewing it would have been better if vocals of greater aggression than the previous were to have followed the excellent guitar solo. Like I have a clue....:unhunh:

Feb 2019

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    lenny nero likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

In locating the above video this 2016 live-in-studio performance of their 1994 song was on the right hand side. I love these types of videos.

lenny nero likes this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I like the album quite a bit. Not as good as the previous couple imo (or rather, doesn't show much growth musically).

lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

I only know the first two albums of their thirteen. The prospect of dealing with eleven albums is intimidating! Slowly and intermittent may be the best way.

lenny nero likes this.
  7. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

You know me... when i gave them a go it was all the albums in chrono order... LOL

8. Dreadnought

I started with the previous album "Rituals". I only loved one song and lo, there was one ready-made. I'm really not a fan of chanting and there's a lot of chanting on this album. I also really liked the chorus of the opening number. Cool looking video too. Oh yeah, and they sound fantastic. So well recorded!

:cool: Literary, "When the whirlwind of fury comes from the Throne of God. When the frowns of His countenance drive the nations together."

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    lenny nero likes this.
  9. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

how bout some french abm

Dreadnought and ljohnfoxx123 like this.
  10. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

The Wolves were great fun on Tuesday night, but missed a couple of vital elements for me:

- no spliffs, so very little vibe other than a smattering of dry ice

- no keyboard player, so the synth interludes were a bit jarring because they used back up tapes, or the bass player played them from the side of the stage, losing the bass guitar notes along the way

- not sure if it was the same bass player as in 2018, but he didn't have long hair! And as the line-up was also missing the the lady playing the keys, they totally lacked those amazing moments when all you could see was four heads of flailing hair within the clouds of spliff.

But the music was excellent - the sound guy was very good, and took time out from his rig to venture into the front crowd to check the sound levels. Perhaps the unusually high ceiling helped as well. I could clearly make out the separate guitar parts, instead of the wall of thrash, and the drums were crisp and powerful instead of muddy.

Ninety minute set, and I know they kicked off with the first track from Thrice Woven, and finished with the epic from Two Hunters, but the rest of the set was a blur, simply because the songs run into each other with no introductions.

The venue was a disused church - quite what the original congregation would have made of a pagan metal band playing inside is anyone's guess :D

11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Anyone else really love these older 'meat and potatoes' oldschool type DM songs with really thrashy riffs? It seems like after around '92 or so the thrash influences kind of tapered off and thrash itself really started to fade away as a scene around that time as well.

eric777, Rollie, Dreadnought and 3 others like this.
  12. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Nigredo (Greece) – Flesh Torn – Spirit Pierced (2018)
    Black Metal
    Good ol’ thrashy black metal. A swarm of razors. Good stuff. Very enjoyable. Production is nice and balanced. Guitars sound pretty good and tasty. Fun, fun stuff. Granted it isn’t pushing any boundaries and is very indicative of lots of other stuff, but sometimes you just want to throw your horns and bang your head. This is for that. CHAAAAAOOOOOSSSSSS!
    <I had to break from listening to this album midway through the 3rd song and after I had written the above. When I found time to start again a few days later, I restarted the album and was immediately drawn in and back to the previously written statement; a great sign>
    GRRRR

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  13. Dreadnought

Straight old school BM and a perfect two minute song. A two minute song with unneeded extension to seven minutes, though the end is not bad. The first thing that jumped out at me was the bass. For old school worship I'm glad it doesn't adhere to the past to the point of sounding anemic. Styggdom, by NATTVERD

Jan 31 2020

fuzzface and lenny nero like this.
  14. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I really dug this one

15. Dreadnought

Bolt Thrower worship here. I only listened to the whole album once last night and thought there were lesser minutes within songs which kept it from crossing the line into greatness but generally a Grrr.

Feb 2019

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  16. Dreadnought

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  17. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Haha! I can see that reference.

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

Banger review of Death-Doom band KONVENT's debut album.

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

Sounds great to me.

Jan 24 2020

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

100423 likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

I'm smitten with this album. I shouldn't be as it's really Sludge-Doom or Sludge-Stoner-Doom and not Death-Doom as labeled, and I don't care much for sludge/stoner. I guess this is a great mix or hybrid. (I'm sure an aficionado could point out 50 bands and that it's common). It's the repetition that drives me bats with some sludge and yet this is the simplest, most repetitive song on the album and it's my favourite. I just surrender and go with it.

22. lenny nero

^^^That's some tasty stuff!

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

I bought it.

[​IMG]
    Analyzed: Konvent / Puritan Masochism
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR7 -0.30 dB -8.17 dB 4:42 01-Puritan Masochism
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.44 dB 3:26 02-The Eye
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.70 dB 5:17 03-Trust
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.73 dB 5:57 04-World of Gone
    DR7 -0.30 dB -8.40 dB 6:31 05-Bridge
    DR7 -0.30 dB -7.69 dB 4:59 06-Waste (ft. Tue Krebs Roikjer)
    DR7 -0.30 dB -7.95 dB 5:22 07-Idle Hands
    DR7 -0.30 dB -9.56 dB 4:36 08-Ropes pt. I
    DR6 -0.30 dB -9.18 dB 7:21 09-Ropes pt. II
    Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR7
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 857 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

Their 2017 Demo is a free download.
    Demo, by Konvent

Analyzed: Konvent / Demo
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -0.50 dB -8.33 dB 3:39 01-Chernobyl Child
    DR6 -0.50 dB -7.57 dB 3:46 02-Squares
    DR5 -0.50 dB -7.08 dB 3:38 03-Tracks
    DR6 -0.50 dB -8.36 dB 6:34 04-No End
    Number of tracks: 4
    Official DR value: DR6
    Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1545 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

100423, lenny nero and Brenald79 like this.
  24. lenny nero

ugh RIP to another amazing drummer and the dude was my age, far too young

Dreadnought likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New album song samples are up on iTunes, $4.99 pre-order.