Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. SlevinKelevra

SlevinKelevra Forum Resident

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Intriguing enough to check out fully later this week. Vocally Vektoresque in places, I really like the middle section 3:30 - 6:00.

Jun 16

Statistics for: ?-Where Demons Bore
    Official DR Value: DR7
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1679 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

lenny nero likes this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Full stream of the new Ulthar

4. lenny nero

Death's Overactive Imagination covered

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. SlevinKelevra

it's time to shut down 20BS. Only 2 or 3 good albums in the last 5 years.

6. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Bandcamp sez "THE MEYRINKIAN SLUMBER" is a 5 track concept full-length album dealing with magical realism of Gustav Meyrink and his masterpiece novel "The Golem". A tale of searching for the ascension through identity shifts, alchemical concepts and suffering, all set in a distorted Kafka-like vision of Prague. Expect an elaborate, tenebrous ride through the shadows, beyond and above." The Meyrinkian Slumber, by SOMNIATE

The single available track with its awfully dragged out ending gets forgiven a little for being the final track.

Jun 30

Fine looking young men. If you're sprouting new hair in unusual places it's time to retire music! Or get out the geezer tweezers and rock on? :evil:

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  8. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

9. Dreadnought

I saw this get a 4/5 at AMG and sure enough it is pretty good. There are a couple of songs that didn't do much for me but there are also a few winners. Sulphuric Omnipotence, by Fornicus
    "Birthed in the heart of America's bible belt in late 2012, Fornicus was created to cast darkness over the ignorant masses and their dogmas." :cool:

Today from Kentucky

[​IMG]

100423, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  10. lenny nero

some new abm

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  11. SlevinKelevra

thanks for at least giving them a chance.

12. Dreadnought

I'm looking forward to former black metal band Hail Spirit Noir's squeaky clean album this Friday. Sounds like an album of the year to me.

Deuce66 and 100423 like this.
  13. Dreadnought

14. Dreadnought

Banger interview with Temple Of Void. Did I ever say I think they're the best band in the world today? :uhhuh:

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  15. lenny nero

^^^awesome interview, covering some of my fave stuff, warhammer, blind dead movies, etc. I saw all those little paint bottles on that guys shelf and said to myself, 'i wonder if hes into painting warhammer minatures?' I've never played that game, but I do read the novels. Blayne's cat wondering around in the background too....lol

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

I was doing the same trying to identify stuff including pausing and rewinding during "meow" to see Blayne is using Sennheiser headphones.

lenny nero likes this.
  17. lenny nero

Picked this one up last bandcamp day, love the chugga chugga geetars on it!

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. lenny nero

19. Dreadnought

:cool:Cool song.

I was at work when saw your post but the photo was blank so I hit the link and did not foresee that Venom! I had Spidey's villain in my head. D'oh!

Nice weather and a frosty mug of straight vanilla Quebec BM, and it is very tasty. I might have posted this a month ago as the painting is familiar. Yes the good old days when you'd burn through your meager rations chopping wood! Curl up near the fire later half starved and eaten alive by bugs. :unhunh:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    I sleep all night and I work all day.
    I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
    Suspendies and a bra.
    I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Papa!"

[​IMG]

Jun 24

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Listening to this now, I like it. It's basically a heavy psych rock album with very little if any hint of BM. There's nothing remotely extreme about it.

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Can I just say this remains one of my favourite albums of the year? It's a dilemma... folk threads won't take him seriously because he's a 'metal' artist. Metal threads won't take him seriously because this is a 'folk' album. I don't know what this is... but it is holding up incredibly well.

Carry on.

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I agree, but I love heavy psych rock, so I'll take it!

Dreadnought and Deuce66 like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

On my second play now, it's a cool record.

Bandcamp promo blurb

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR is an intriguing psychedelic prog metal band, with strong experimental and prog rock influences, recommended for fans of Oranssi Pazuzu, Ulver, Borknagar, or Ghost, yet with an identity of its own. The group was established late 2010 as a trio and issued their debut album "Pneuma" two years later. Its warm reception strengthened the band's experimental approach and enhanced its quirky take on music, all of which inevitably led to the release of "Oi Magoi" in 2014; a psychedelic prog-black metal opus of trippy melodies and satyric aura. Followed by "Mayhem In Blue" in 2016, the band's signature sound was solidified, and at the same time expanded into more aggressive territories, without abandoning the group's trademark psychedelic-infused melodies. Since 2018, the trio has been joined full-time by its live members, changing the band into a sextet. The new album "Eden In Reverse" was completed late 2019. It is regarded by Hail Spirit Noir as the next step in their ongoing evolution, this time with an 80s twist.

The band had this to say on the new album: "This is the album we've spent the most time on. We started off doing some experiments without any idea where they could lead to. After the first 3-4 tracks, we realized we were onto something new for the band. We were no longer in the 60s-70s zone but more in the 70s-80s. The songs sounded retro-futuristic and surreal but they were also more prog, psychedelic and challenging than ever. In the lyrics, we re-wrote the story of Eden from a surreal, Richard Dawkins-esque, Darwinian point of view. The result was Eden in Reverse".

"Eden In Reverse" was recorded at Lunatech Studios. The album was produced and mixed by Dimitris Douvras (Rotting Christ) and mastered by Alan Douches (Nile, Aborted, Whitechapel). Cover artwork was prepared by StuZor. The track "Crossroads" features guest vocals from Lars Nedland of Borknagar.
    credits

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  24. Dreadnought

It's all good with me. As long you're moved and think it belongs that's good enough for me. Strict rules are such a bummer. It does seem when metal artists do a side project often enough it is acoustic. I think that the Johnny Cash covers series cast a long shadow which still influences.

Not a bit of BM for sure. :)

"Crossroads was on repeat last night. It's phenomenally good pop music. Upper echelon stuff; as good as it gets. It certainly helps that the sound quality is high. I had a single nit pick which was the vocal wail around 3:30 has a fade-out rather than natural decay before blending with the incoming vocal. A tiny nit. Not metal but an album of the year for sure. Or at least I felt so last night.

100423 and Deuce66 like this.
  25. Dreadnought

I was looking forward to this album out today. I actually was able to listen to it fully earlier this week. Listening now a second time confirms that however much I like parts I end up fatigued by the one dimensional use of the hollar vocal, largely because the songs are too long and it's just filler. That same vocal dragged out as filler is a killer. All the best stuff is up front in the songs then it drags and decays. That's odd because averaging 6:00 they aren't long songs.

Cool vid though

lenny nero likes this.