Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I like this one quite a bit!
    The different styles of vocal delivery work well, I think. I can feel the anguish...
    I enjoyed the starting and ending with acoustic parts, as well.

Grubenfall 1727, by Dauþuz

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

My wheels have been deflated for weeks. I think it's a combination of nothing too great coming out and the general social scene. Some days I don't feel like listening to music at all. I'm not going to sweat it. :)

The original 1998 CD has a dynamic range of 11 and the 2010 remaster is DR 6. Level matching inexactly by hand and ear I don't hear any great difference between them. There's more bass in the original.

lenny nero likes this.
  3. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I haven't purchased much new music this year. Out of 71 releases I have so far this year only 12 are from 2020. :( All twelve are below and all 12 are pretty good.
    Behemoth - A Forest
    Lamb of God - LoG
    Winterfylleth - the Reckoning Dawn
    Kirk Windstein - Dream in Motion
    Transylvania Stud - White Witch
    Khemmis - Doomed Heavy Metal
    Ihsahn - Telemark
    Forgotten Tomb - Nihilistic Estrangement (runner up for album of the year)
    Behemoth - Live from Maida Vale
    Me and that Man - New Man, New Songs...
    Pearl Jam - Gigaton
    Run the Jewels - RTJ4 (album of the year so far)

100423, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thanxxx ! The remaster was locally released, against the hard-to-find, mega-pricey original import, so no choice there really. Pretty dynamic-sounding to my ear (OK; maybe it's tricking my ears, and I do use a dynamic expander, so not quite objective) and if the original had yet more bass, I'm glad I got the remaster, because other than the bass overload, it was a LOT since I last heard a record with such a great, balanced mix.

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. SlevinKelevra

SlevinKelevra Forum Resident

Definitely a promising newer project . 5 great releases in 5 years or so. Shame the LP cant ship here yet...

100423 likes this.
  6. SlevinKelevra

did Inquisition ever find a new label to release their upcoming 2020 album, or are they still in limbo after SoM dropped them due to Dagon's predicaments?

7. Dreadnought

[​IMG]

With only a demo and a promo to their name this Icelandic band put out this single for free. I like it. No mention of an album yet.
    Plague Superior, by Grave Superior

June 26

Official DR Value: DR6
    Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1888 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  8. Dreadnought

Posting these two songs for some of you guys as although I often stray far into the artsy fartsy esoterica I know some of you guys rather things more in your face. To be a bit more skull splitting, ass clobberin' , neck snapping, pelvic pummeling. Based on these singles I like each enough to buy.
    Warning about language :drool:

July 24

9. Dreadnought

August 14

Brenald79, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  10. Dreadnought

My eyes were drawn to this unusual animation-looking cover three weeks ago. I listened but forgot about it until seeing it again tonight. I may has been mistaken in not appreciating this. The guitar solo at 4:17 is a classic rock beauty.

lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  11. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  12. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I need this one! Just got the bandcamp dl of this one a week ago, with all the bonus tracks.

13. Dreadnought

It's a great looking patch and I want it also. I'll keep my eye peeled for when it's for sale. Was just eyeing my virgin TOV patches and sticker.

[​IMG]

14. Dreadnought

Yes I shudder when thinking about the nature of members of my favs like TOV and Horrendous with day jobs as school teacher, fire fighter, registered nurse, etc. The marginal figures of little talent seem always to be the miscreants and I don't listen to them anyway.

lenny nero and eric777 like this.
  15. Dreadnought

Nice pro-shot from 2019

lenny nero likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Avatar is best metal artist I’ve discovered this year. Theatrical groove/industrial/melodic death metal from Sweden. Entertaining music videos. Check them out if you like Lamb Of God, Slipknot, Rammstein.

lenny nero, fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Groovy! :cool: Thanks Brenald.

August 7

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. SlevinKelevra

so basically it's recommended for people who don't like metal...
    ?

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I like reading a good troll but you need a new schtick. It’s not original. Seen it done a lot better by others, whoever you’re copying.

20. SlevinKelevra

well, the 3 bands you suggested as comps/likes aren't metal bands... so...
    it seemed like an honest question to raise.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Why don’t you write us an essay about why the 99% of the metal world who consider them metal bands are wrong.

22. SlevinKelevra

Advanced search - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives nope
    Advanced search - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives nope
    Advanced search - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives exists, but is a -core band, not a metal band.

so, taking a simple average, you say Avatar comparison is 16.66% metal, at best.

your problem is that you, like 99% of people out there think "angry" "loud" and "distorted guitars" means it's metal.
    but you're wrong
    Rules & Guidelines - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

the bands you listed make music for teeny Hot Topic shoppers. the inherent song structures are *not* metal song structures, and choosing to detune and scream doesn't change that into metal.

23. SlevinKelevra

Debemur Morti US store has the 2 Aara LPs for preorder, and a nice price on old Arkona and Wallachia LPs. but I'm a jerk, so those bands probably suck.

24. Dreadnought

I never had to spell it out before but I have felt that within SH Forums any harsh vocal shall be considered extreme metal as that is how it is thought of by the general membership. Note that I never wasted my own time correcting anyone about that. Outside of SH, at a pure metal forum the definition of what is metal would definitely tighten up. Dude, just private message individuals in order to enlighten them. Have it out that way. Everyone knows what it is you're saying and they make their own private moral deliberations. If I recall correctly it was Brenald who raised a discussion of Deathspell Omega just last year, in an intelligent and mature manner, and the result was a number of us deleting their catalogue. You are preaching to the choir, guy.

I just got a tattoo and am having a beer. Explaining obvious things is cutting into my time.

lenny nero likes this.
  25. Dreadnought

Just a pair of great photographs. The Immolation pic sat on my desktop for two weeks, too good to delete but without a destination. Then a second pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.