Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Listening to the latest Mork album and pretty much sold by the third song. Simple songcraft. Quite chilly! Brrrrrr At least they aren't in the damn forest.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    100423 and lenny nero like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion, TIDAL has two versions the 2006 (11 tracks) & 2017 (16 tracks). As for getting the best audiophile versions of releases it's really a mixed bag, sometimes they will have multiple versions of releases (Black Sabbath/Jethro Tull (old remasters + Steven Wilson versions) are two examples while others will only keep the very latest remaster available for streaming.

Black Sabbath (SBS) the 2014 is available, if this album is the next one in line for the 2021 remaster campaign, both versions will be available just like Vol.4 and Sabotage.

I agree with your hybrid approach although my version is a little different.
    - Physical inventory (CD-LP's)
    - Rare CD's (Fave masterings) ripped to hard drive + backup for safety, I'm far too lazy to rip all of them.
    - Streaming (TIDAL/Apple Music) - Albums that I like go into My Collection + I create the odd playlist, that's the extent of it for me.

You should check out the latest 2021 version of Vol.4 if you want to hear a different take on that album, very divisive.

3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Another reason I like streaming now is because we're finally getting much better quality streaming, I use the hifi Tidal and love it. I think that's what held me off using it before that. I used to buy cd's and rip them into itunes as lossless, no need for that now.

Dreadnought, 100423 and Deuce66 like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Agreeing generally with everything you said. Regarding the 2021 Vol.4 I'm hearing it for the first time. My first thought is this remix is superfluous. Being brighter also puts a limit on how loud it can be played. Loud is how it's to be played! That was my initial reaction and soon enough I had a less puritanical opinion that it's a respectful fun alternative. I'm listening all the way through. :righton:

Same here. The hifi enabled! :D I compared the stream to the same files on hard drive and for some reason there's a very slight veil to the stream only detectable in direct comparison, though the volume was a little off as well. In other words the stream is excellent. Rather remarkable comparing how many connections there must be for the stream and how few there are plugged into the source directly. Hmm that's analogue thinking.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  5. Dreadnought

A fun track.

lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Serious stuff here this death-doom album. Moody and brooding with not a bad song on it. Some amount of flab on the edges of this steak, at the beginning and end of songs. I believe we missed out on this 2019 album. It was probably the intro flab that put me off at the time. My impatience. This is a good recording/ mastering, dynamic.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    lenny nero likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I've cooled down on this one due to the horrid mastering, it's absolutely crushed and hard to listen to for more than 5 minutes.

8. Dreadnought

It's the machine-gun pace, blurred fingers on the fretboard which is like a constant confrontation. I can't relax and get into it. I guess that's why I'm not much of a tech-death guy. Easy to admire but tough to love.

Deuce66, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  9. Dreadnought

nosliw and lenny nero like this.
  10. lenny nero

^^^^added that one to my list!!!!

happy 30th bday to Immolation's Dawn of Possession!!!

nosliw and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Dreadnought

Just finished it and like it. There's a few good songs. It feels very Goldilocks to me after the Tidal binge because I didn't realize there was so much generic djent metal out there to crawl over. I started being more selective regarding titles and cover art.
    More goodness. Give it a minute.

lenny nero likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

FZ put out a fourth single (6 song EP July 30).

lenny nero likes this.
  13. Dreadnought

I like the video more than the song but will hear the whole album July 30. Great video editing.

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

Those genre benders Veilburner have a new album coming Sept 24. They'd posted at song a few weeks ago but I didn't like it. This is much better.

lenny nero likes this.
  15. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Blood Incantation will be on all weekend. Thats the plan. Might be my favorite newish DM band.

obi, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  16. Dreadnought

Interesting song that has me wonder what style of album it'll be. The song has brief flourishes of deathcore but the bulk is progressive and death-doom. Worth hearing 'til the end. July 30

Edit: No Center, by Graveslave has 2 other songs of similar structure and caliber. The deathcore I can tolerate is doses knowing there's a classic style ending.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    lenny nero likes this.
  17. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Lots of cool stuff posted lately by you fellows. Just no time to enjoy. Work is killing me during the days and bourbon and boner jams at night. Lol. I still have 3 cds I haven't spun once (in a month since they arrived) and at least two massive King Crimson boxes that still need ripped and listened too. I am soooo behind. The brown liquor makes me not care though. Lol

18. lenny nero

Some of their older stuff is on Tidal.

They're really great. Love to put their stuff on and zone out.

[​IMG]

19. Dreadnought

Saturday night. Once upon a time the glorious Knights of the Picnic Table would meet for merry-making and as if cursed one knave would always spew forth! :uhhuh:
    NP

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    lenny nero likes this.
  20. lenny nero

A tale from Wee Mikey's youth!

prog guy reviews Dvne

100423, Deuce66 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. Dreadnought

With a fifth album coming I thought I'd listen to their last work a 3 song 19 minute EP from 2017. A bit rough getting involved during the initial minutes attack but after that it's smooth sailing and some surprising moments of beauty take place. They lean far post-black but don't cross the line too much or for too long. Some traditional rocking in places. I've listened twice and think it's pretty good. Quite the evocative finale. TIDAL

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    lenny nero likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  23. Dreadnought

24. Dreadnought

25. Dreadnought

Some cerebral metal here. Smart, authentic and distinct. Emotional pychodrama territory about losing a loved one. If you can stomach that then this is top class. Being a lyric vid I even had to rewind and pause over "lentives", then blow the dust off the dictionary. It's just a single. No album. $1 buck. Home, by Sargas
    And they stumped Tidal! :bdance:

lenny nero and rufus t firefly like this.