Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

I'll just remind you guys that I made a thread for the extreme avantgarde metal band PORTAL here: The Band PORTAL (thread)

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Fantastic, fuzzface! I can't think of a better time. :cool:

Oh man, PORTAL are a difficult band, the audience will always be limited in size. Fascinating but difficult.

[​IMG]

AlphabetMan likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

If you're nostalgic for that old time sound of 1994 Mayhem. Not exactly the same but close enough and enjoyable enough. (Thanks NCS). Dead & United, by Vathr

lenny nero likes this.
  4. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

Lately Krallice has got me on a major avantgarde black metal kick.

Deathspell Omega has been one of my favorite bands for several years now, before them my favorite black metal band was Emperor (who were also my entry point as a prog metal fan at the time and still).

But I've been binging so much Krallice lately and I can't get enough of it. Deathspell are amazing but I'm familiar with their work and lyrics etc. Krallice is still fresh to me, even though I grabbed their work probably a year ago, but it's taken till now for me to dive in head-first.
    Weirdly I think I discovered both Krallice and Behold The Arctopus (Colin Marston's other band) from Ulver - who I was binging a lot of at the time, as probably recorded on this site.
    I can't even remember how or where they rubbed shoulders, but the connection was somewhere.

Then from Krallice, I'm now also binging Weakling, Nocturnus, Portal and now Blut Aus Nord.

Even though I love some Mayhem and Darkthrone in small doses, I collide with black metal when it comes to avantgarde black metal. (as avantgarde anything is my avenue, I'm an avantgarde guy. Always have been and always will be).

This music is incredible, cosmic, totally alien-sounding, very ethereal, very kaleidoscopic. I know I'm gonna still be booming this stuff loud in ten years time.

100423, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  5. Dreadnought

AlphabetMan, welcome! :edthumbs:
    The postings in the thread have thus far been more about current releases than older albums. The content has run the gamut from tried-and-true stylings to the avantgarde. I get hottest over bands that push boundaries. That needn't be avantgarde but at least bring something new and exciting to the genres. I hope you have fun AlphabetMan, discovering and musing about music from the furthest realms. :righton:

lenny nero and AlphabetMan like this.
  6. Dreadnought

Upon first hearing some seconds of "Praise The Sun" I wondered what would it have sounded like had "The Bangles" or "Go-Go's" incorporated extreme metal into their sound. That was just an initial impression and soon enough the band proved me inaccurate. Unfortunately the album on YT is divided into individual songs and trying to pick one representative song isn't easy. Do they bring anything new or are they merely Arch Enemy with better table manners? They are more the latter. Nothing much new but what they do they do well. It's an enjoyable, even relaxing, Melodic death metal album.

The band statement: The Proffer of Light, by Praise The Sun "The Proffer of Light is combination of Melodic Death Metal and Metalcore led by famale growls and clean vocals. A lot of guitar melodies mixed with heavy riffs makes unique climate conquered by rythm section of bass and drums. This album contains all already released songs of Praise the Sun in remastered version and of course some of new stuff, which had not seen the light of the sun before."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any gamers know this guy? "Praise the sun".
    [​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

The melancholy, brooding final song on the 2022 album from "Artificial Brain". It's the strange, beautiful, alien entities that dwell within the second minute that put this into orbit for me.

lenny nero likes this.
  8. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

....somethin about this pic seems familiar, can't put my finger on it....

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. lenny nero

I've been enjoying this weird mix of abm/folk/pagan whatever

Dreadnought likes this.
  10. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I haven't been feeling as metal this year, though I still check in with this thread all the time and listen to things suggested.
    This album kept me engaged the entire time. There is such variety... I headed over to Bandcamp and purchased it immediately.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Dreadnought

That's terrific. My musical explorations have also changed a bit this year with my being more omnivorous. I put veggies on my plate, lighter fare.

100423 likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

OSDM that really does sound vintage to me. The production I'm talking about as well. The vocalist is vanilla but instrumentally good stuff. A superb guitar solo and as the song came to a crashing end I thought "winner". Sept 23 Curse of the Forlorn (Death Metal), by LIVE BURIAL

"Two years after the release of their highly acclaimed full length ‘Unending Futility’, UK’s strongest purveyors of classic death metal Live Burial return with a new full length which is a staggering improvement over it in all conceivable ways. As if new techniques have been unlocked, the songwriting on this record is far more intricate and multi-faceted, with the band not only relying on their trademark lurching doomy death metal crawl but also expanding upon the scope by adding new textures and influences, including those sounding Finnish in origin. Despite these enhancements in sound, the music has only become faster, more aggressive and scathing, with vocals being acerbic enough to melt flesh but also somehow carry emotion, which in turn are magnified by excellent lead-playing. This is the culmination of the purest form of death metal worked upon to make it relevant, nay, cutting-edge in terms of extremity, technical proficiency and even emotive capability where this old school style of music goes.

For fans of: Asphyx, Unleashed, early Atrocity, Morgoth, early Vermin, Skeletal Remains, Thorn, Heads For The Dead."

Luke Oram
    [​IMG]

lenny nero and mackeyse like this.
  13. Dreadnought

What a terrific band this "Live Burial" is. I've been aware of the name for years but never gave them a try. I have problems with the production. I'm not a fan of that old, flat, bass-shy production, dynamic as it is. I bailed fast from their debut "Forced Back to Life" (2016) for being especially bereft of bass. "Unending Futility" (2020) was a good improvement, being similar to this 2022 album, and I listened to it start to finish. An infectious album, you know after just a few songs that there will be no duds on this record. I'm lukewarm on the sometimes serviceable vocals and the bass-shy production style, even if it is correct for the era depicted, but I love everything else.
    New retro gold! :edthumbs:

TongueDruid, lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  14. lenny nero

I'm sold on Live Burial, love it! I cannot get into Sumerlands, though. I've done several listens and nothing really grabs me about it.

100423 likes this.
  15. JCM800

JCM800 Forum Resident

Earache has a lot of cheap ($3.62) downloads on their webstore. A few have an "MP3" tag on the art, but all I've bought came as both MP3 and WAV. Several of are explicitly listed as the Full Dynamic Range versions, but many of the 10 or so I've got so far seem to be old, untouched masters with nice beautiful '90s waveforms.

The ones I can confirm are not brick-walled:

* At The Gates "Slaughter of The Soul" FDR
    * Bolt Thrower "...For Victory" FDR
    * Brutal Truth "Extreme Conditions..."
    * Carnage "Dark Recollections" — Can't remember if this was listed as FDR or just happened to be; the FDR version is HIGHLY recommended.
    * Godflesh "Godflesh"
    * Godflesh "Streetcleaner"
    * Nocturnus "Thresholds"

There are more FDR releases (Bolt Thrower, Entombed, etc.), and I suspect there are more old masterings that just aren't listed in any obvious way.

Earache's a lot of things, but I love them for keeping these available. If only they'd do a better job at identifying them for us.

16. Dreadnought

As I was pushed along by this prog metal, with hints of early Rush intro, I had my fingers crossed that a cognac smooth extreme metal baritone would enter but instead some castrati took to the stage. Squeaky clean but excellent with superb vocal harmonizing. Maybe a beast resides elsewhere on this album. Oct 7 The Signal Heard Throughout Space, by Parius

Stephen Andrade
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Jeff Kent and lenny nero like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Some more aggressive vocals present here and there. Just out today, not a heavy song but faster.

Jeff Kent and lenny nero like this.
  18. JCM800

JCM800 Forum Resident

Revenant, Prophecies of A Dying World 1992 Nuclear Blast. Choppy death thrash with a somewhat progressive approach to riffing and song structure. Terrific production, clean and quite dynamic. For some reason this reminds of Kinetic Dissent and D.B.C. but sounds like neither. Maybe it's the production. Hard to believe John Mentee and Paul Ludney were in this band at one point.

[​IMG]

sathvyre, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  19. Dreadnought

Sounding good, Italian/American death metal quintet "Inverted Matter" put out "Unorthodox Emanations" on November 11th.

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

mackeyse and lenny nero like this.
  21. lenny nero

new worm

mackeyse and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Dreadnought

Beautiful song! I'm sold. Just last night "Worm" was a name I was looking around for. I was worm hunting! :-plnktn-:
    With the intro, which I love, I wondered if this was the first song but looking at bandcamp it is the final song. I'm bowled over by how good it is. Plus it isn't a sonic disaster. I'm happy about this apparent higher standard of fidelity among the new more creative BM bands.
    Bluenothing, by Worm
    1. Bluenothing video
    2. Centuries of Ooze II
    3. Invoking the Dragonmoon
    4. Shadowside Kingdom

Brad Moore
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    lenny nero likes this.
  23. lenny nero

You should check out their first one, Gloomlord, I like that one quite a bit too.

Dreadnought likes this.
  24. Dreadnought

Got to it finally. So it's three new songs and three live. These guys don't write bad songs.

lenny nero likes this.
  25. Dreadnought

I have Foreverglade but I don't remember anything about it. I should refresh.

lenny nero likes this.