Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Agreed, BandCamp is thriving with all kinds of great Hard Rock and Metal variants that don't get released elsewhere, and the FLAC option makes it for me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    LuxInt likes this.
  2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Classic Doom!

FJosh, wdiv, GodShifter and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

:laugh:
    I remember them being a standard bearer back around 2002 and I had their music then, "Sons of Northern Darkness" I'm sure, but I can't remember much else. I did drift away towards other music soon after. That said I have intended to check out Abbath's album which came out this year. If I wasn't headed out the door I'd do so right now.

And as xxxmas is coming I just have to get this. :laugh:

[​IMG]

4. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

For those in the know, what Top 5 albums from the Doom/Death/Black genres are your all-time faves?

5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Without much thought and in no particular order:
    Behemoth - the Satanist
    Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
    Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
    Ihsahn - The Adversary
    Watain - Lawless Darkness
    Honorable mentions to every Ihsahn solo album, especially The After and Arktis.

6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Doom:

Black Sabbath- s/t
    Acid King- Busse Woods
    Winter- Into Darkness
    Sasquatch- II
    Earthride- Vampire Circus

7. Dreadnought

I love Bandcamp. Even if $10 USD is a bit steep there's no beating the convenience and yes, FLAC! LuxInt, I don't have a collection. Not one that I know of. Is it automatic if you've made a purchase or you need to opt in?

I was a "Monster Kid"! I'm still a "Monster Kid"! :p
    I think you're so right regarding "to me this is an important connection point to some of the music I was drawn to later" for both fans and artists.

[​IMG]

Horror movies, Alice Cooper and "The Phantom of the Paradise" movie had profound affects on me. Being a kid of the 70s I still wonder how my flipping though horror books and magazines and later putting Kiss and Zeppelin posters on the wall, using my imagination to enhance still images (for I'd never seen live action of them), shaped my expectation of what something should be like.

Wow, Opeth. It's not as if you can go up from them. They're the cream of the crop for what they do. There were certainly emulators that followed but..:unhunh:. And btw they were my gateway to revelation band also.

I don't have a top 5 but there has to be 100s of such lists via google. I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying that it's just that others are better at listing the historically significant standard bearers of said genres. I know Black far better than Death or Doom. You'll always be pointed to Bathory, Burzum, Mayhem. I'm far less interested in the past than I am in the present. I think this is an exciting time for Black/Death/Doom, written as such and gathered together in the thread title in part because so many bands have merged the genres. All sorts of overlap going on. I love it. I could name my 5 fav albums of the past year or two, all of whom do not fit neatly into any genre.
    Horrendous - Anareta
    Behemoth -The Satanist
    Vektor - Terminal Redux
    Imperium Dekadenz - Dis Manibvs
    Sulphur - Omens of Doom

I never hear anyone mentioning that album, an album I lived on for quite a while upon its release. One of my fav vocal performances. A little known fact that there is no ceiling to the volume that this can be played painfree. I tested it more than a dozen times with indestructable ATC speakers and a literally staggering blood/alcohol content. :laugh:
    Um, maybe that was why it was pain free. :idea:

stay crunchy, fuzzface and ceddy10165 like this.
  8. Nice Marmot

Black (not including Mayhem & Bathory)

Craft- Void
    Glorior Belli- Meet Us At The Southern Sign
    Thornspawn- Blood Of The Holy Taint Thy Steel
    Judas Iscariot- To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding
    Temple Of Baal- Lightslaying Rituals

9. LuxInt

LuxInt Forum Resident

Assuming you have an account, I believe that any purchase made automatically goes into your collection. You can choose to keep your collection private or make it public.

10. $tinkfoot

$tinkfoot Forum Resident

I'm not really into Black Metal(mostly stoner/doom), but....this is really good.

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Bought "Scream Bloody Gore" in 7th grade based solely on the artwork and name. Slipped the cassette in my Walkman and hit play. This is what I heard.

Creole Gris-Gris and Dreadnought like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Will have to check those out. Aside from the name of the last two I don't know any of them!

Oh that's just the best! Referring to the surprise/ shock/ revelation. Nothing is better. :cool:

I don't think I have an account. I simply hit and run. I'm not a big time spender. Kinda picky and kinda on a budget. :cry:
    But I'm weak! :evil:
    Bought this album off bandcamp not too long ago and love it! You know when you keep turning the volume up a little more, then a little more, then...you get the idea. :agree:

2016 :thumbsup:

13. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

No offense to prior posters but if you go down the Glorior Belli path, start with Manifesting the Raging Beast. They tried to become some kind of (US) southern black metal band and it went weird.

Also there's new Hail Spirit Noir:
    Mayhem in Blue, by Hail Spirit Noir »

Nice Marmot and Dreadnought like this.
  14. raginghessian

raginghessian Well-Known Member

that Black Metal book looks absolutely great …..I will have to wait on it because I just got the Master Of Puppets book in the mail and if you have any love for that album, the book is astonishing.

One chapter title that caught my eye in the BM book is the one on VON, a band that was barely around in 1990 - 91. I have always thought it was such a crazy thing that this odd, completely unknown and unconventional band that only recorded two 4-track demos (only releasing one) and played maybe 4 shows somehow became the blueprint for a style of music that inspired a cultural revolution half way around the world. I like them but have never been able to figure out wether or not it was a tongue and cheek kind of thing….. to now where there is this guy who has been releasing albums and playing shows under the name Von and there is ZERO evidence that the guy ever had anything to do with the band. I would post a video of a show from 1991 the original VON played at The Stone in SF but "VON Inc." has had all traces of the orig Von taken down from YouTube etc. ……anyhow, I kind of love this soap opera.

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Dreadnought

I recognized the cover for Hail Spirit Noir, checked and sure enough I did have this bookmarked for later consumption. I must have picked up on them from Angry Metal Guy - Metal Reviews, Interviews and General Angryness »

Very nice. :righton:

Nice Marmot likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

Hey raginghessian, that notable name rang a visual bell. :cool:
    Yes it has turned out to be a very good book. I haven't been tearing through it because I've been cueing the relevant music. If I'm not familiar with the music I have to put the book aside and absorb a little. And if I dig the unfamiliar I'm off on a full blown indulgence. I'm still in the pre-second wave period.

So far in the book one thing that is striking, yet unsurprising after a moment's consideration, is how strong and determined were the primary personalities (Cronos of Venom, Quorthon/ Bathory, Tom G. Warrior of Hellhammer/ Celtic Frost). Sheesh, my heart went out to Tom G. Warrior for having a criminally neglected by family upbringing in a town of bullies both young and adult. And admiration for him in focusing his rage towards starting a band. The ultimate latch-key kid (as it used to be termed), essentially abandoned with a roof over his head. Just himself and the family's large record collection for company. Very interesting.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    DoF likes this.
  17. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I still love this one and this band. Still listen to them, and some of the stuff, not all, they've released in the past decade has been great.

A death metal classic! Love this band.

Speaking of Saint Vitus, does anyone have Live Vol 2 yet?

patient_ot and Dreadnought like this.
  18. Nice Marmot

I concur about Manfesting The Raging Beast. If you're just getting into Glorior Belli, that's more the traditional sounding black metal album by them. I like Meet Us At The Southern Sign more because of how different it is.

I'm not a huge fan of the repetitive black metal "blast beat", the albums I mentioned tend to keep that to a minimum.... even if it's just by having shorter songs.

Dreadnought likes this.
  19. Nice Marmot

Death:

Incantation- Onward To Golgotha
    Cianide- Hell's Rebirth
    Blood Freak- Mindscraper
    Vital Remains- Into Cold Darkness
    Baphomet- The Dead Shall Inherit

Dreadnought likes this.
  20. Nice Marmot

That Crust/Blackened hardcore thing

Trap Them- Sleepwell Deconstructor
    Bones- s/t
    Dishammer- Vintage Addiction
    Gallhammer- Ill Innocence
    None Of The Living Remain- Grim To The Brim
    Black Elk- Always A Six Never A Nine
    Converge- Jane Doe

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Doom (modern era, excludes Sabbath and the Pentagram comps):

1) Trouble - Manic Frustration
    2) The Obsessed -The Church Within
    3) Solitude Aeturnus - Beyond the Crimson Horizon
    4) Grand Magus - self-titled
    5) Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics

Dreadnought and Nice Marmot like this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I love doom metal, but the Black Death, not so much...

23. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Nobody on this forum has talked about the new band comprised of George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher from Cannibal Corpse on vocals, Adam Dutkiewicz from Killswitch Engage on guitar, and Shannon Lucas from Black Dhalia Murder on drums called Serpentine Dominion.

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Black Metal

*(with the caveat that I tend not to like black metal that is purposefully over/under produced)

5) Nachtmystium - Instinct: Decay
    4) Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum
    3) Leviathan - True Traitor, True Whore
    2) Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium
    1) Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Dreadnought and Nice Marmot like this.
  25. Dreadnought

I still remember the fuss in the press in 2007 about "Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum" and I have to devote some time to them.
    I'd not listened to Bathory for a decade and now six months shy of the 30th anniversary of the third album what a template that was. There really should be a distinct Metal Hall of Fame.

I was always familiar with the standard Quorthon portrait but had no idea that earlier he was teen heart-throb "Tiger Beat" magazine material. Not before the pic in the Metal book. Legions of teenage girls (and some fellas) were denied the opportunity to expand their horizons. :p
    I knew girls who went punky due to a crush on Billy Idol so...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016