GS: I'm allowed to be infuriated too!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Apr 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

As most of you probably know, I've been on a GS (essentially, Japanese Nuggets-esque material from the 60s) kick for quite a long time now. The current crop of easily-availible GS releases is on Teichiku records...

...who, wait for it, definately no-noised all of their "original" releases. It's very obnoxious; it isn't the "I can't listen to this" kind of no-noise, but it is the "make the quiet parts sound like an MP3" kind. Damn.

I always knew that some of the albums sounded weird, but I always assumed it was just the original tapes. BUt today, I got the Teichiku version of the Carnabeats 1st album, which I already have (on a WAY OOP CD) on Phillips, and sure enough, the latter doesn't quite sound that way.

-D

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hye David - good thing our friends at Rhino haven't jumped in here yet - the stereo/mono thang would get weird!!! Japan was stereo crazy in the 60's and it seems like stuff recorded in Japan always turns up in stereo. Too bad about things getting No-noised now - the Ace comps are a little midrangy, but I'd betcha dollars to donuts the tapes sound that way to begin with - definitely aren't hiss monsters...

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

The Ace comps are direct rips of the Japanese CDs. In fact, a large part of the second GS I Love You disc was based directly on one of the PHillips GS compilations from Japan (I know this because it ALSO has the out-of-place Eleki instrumental). Thing is, though, that all of the Tempters tracks sound EXACTLY like the version on the Teichiku Japan discs...Stop The Music has that same slightly-gauzy sound.

FWIW, though, it seems like only the newly-mastered-by-Teichiku stuff has this problem.

It's just bizarre...Teichiku did the same thing to the Zombies reissues they put out years back...modeled on the Repertoire CDs, but no-noised. Blatantly and obnoxiously.

-D

PS: And yes, I'm aware nobody cares.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Nah, I care and lots of our friends here do, too. It's just harder when your interest (GS for you, RAB and 60's US garage punk for me) is outside what most posters here enjoy listening to - Beatles, Dylan and the usual crew.... I like the look I get when I'll play some monster tune that sold 37 copies in their day for an unsuspecting listener and they want me to dub it off for them - remember, it's never an oldie if you've never heard it before! :) We butt heads sometimes over mono/stereo issues, but at least we can mumble when we're here to play! Keep plugging away, get Goldmine and Discoveries, and watch Ebay - stuff pops up when you least expect it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.