[Guide] "My Generation" by The Who: all tracks and where to find them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funkydude, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The SHM disc sounds lower in volume, more depth but to my ears a bit too dull on top.

dee likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd have to compare, but I thought the box even had Erick Labson credited with mastering the stereo portion.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Deluxe is mastered by E. Labson. The 2cd shm mini lp stereo by Manabu Matsumura 2012 . Mono- J. Astley 2012

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ah, sorry, I only did a quick search on the catalog number, and thought you were talking about the 2008 box, not the 2012 mini-LP set.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No problem- :)

But to make the comparison potentially more difficult. The legend on page (1) by the op states

"The first 4 Shel Talmy Stereo mixes are only on My Generation (Deluxe Edition)"

However, the first 4 tracks on the shm are in stereo. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the op meant ?

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You have to include the context:

"first 4" being:

- "I Don't Mind" (Original Album Edit) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "The Good's Gone" (Original Album Edit) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "My Generation" (Instrumental, Original Album Take) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]
    - "Anytime You Want Me" (A Capella Version) [2002 Shel Talmy Stereo]

Those aren't on the Japanese sets.

Hep Alien and reb like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Glad we have both options for better or worse. I do prefer the sound of the 2012 'remaster' to the original deluxe release. Doesn't seem to me as 'high end heavy' especially with the cymbals, but I listened to the deluxe for many years and it gave me enjoyment. Now I just usually listen to the 2012 stereo mastering of those tapes and the new 2014 stereo mix that was MFIT. There's now at least more options for MG stereo. Maybe one day the 2003 sacd will come my way, but for now, I think I have enough and I feel good to have the 3 of them.

Edit: Am a fan of the A Capella Anytime You Want Me. Am grateful Talmy included this in the set. A creative and bold choice. I can do without the AAA's that have appeared as the only one that works in stereo for my ears is the one they don't have the lead vocal fix too. So sadly there is no one version I like in stereo. I thought I might like the 'underdub' with no backing vocals but I found I missed hearing the backing vocals and it only shows to me how integral to the song they are. Ymmv.

I find it ironic that I too think of I Don't Mind and The Good's Gone in their unedited form as my go-to versions and think of the shorter versions which were all that were available for so long now as 'edits' :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Hep Alien and Quadboy like this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

Welcome Back ;) :). I've been interested and had fun too listening to both of them and trying to compare them - when not completely obsessed in doing so - but then that's what sometimes happens and then it's not as fun anymore! Although, you may arrive at your preferred one in the process as a result! Or at least an alternate one :).

9. dee

dee Senior Member

As previously mentioned, for different reasons, I'd add for fun, versions of I'm The Face and Zoot Suit, and the 1 Here 'Tis, to the list as a whole, and for completion sake Baby Don't Do It. Perhaps Good Lovin' and Just You and Me, Darlin' too from the BBC. So that would bring the song list up to 30 I guess. Just a thought.

Since Townshend's Things Have Changed demo already exists in vintage and released form, I'm sacrilegious and desperate enough to want to hear Pete and Roger try it out anew if (despite the liner notes) the band truly never did anything with it or there's no tape of it if so. Maybe just as an acoustic number with the two of them for the rumored box set.

Hit my max of 3 posts in a row.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but this is a fabulous undertaking. Something I've been wanting to find out for some time now. The Who catalog needs this sort of breakdown.

It would be really, really nice to see this continue somehow with their full catalog. Or at least through Who Are You. ;)

dee likes this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

Interesting to give more listens to the 2014 stereo mix of AAA alternate. After first revisiting the song in the Talmy mix to stereo and me just not being so anal about the squirrely phrasing of the "nothin gets in my way" verse Roger sings and accepting its difference to the more clearly stated vocal as performed for the vintage single mono mix, I found the Talmy mix and moreso the different 2014 stereo mix with the same alt vocal an enjoyable enough stereo mix. The 2014 MG album and bonus track mixes have Pete mixed on the right and stage left in nearly every song as if the album were a live performance, opposite the Talmy mix where he is on the left in almost every mix. But the drums seem more prominent (which I often like) to me in the Talmy mix compared to the 2014 stereo mix where they seem more an equal part of the mix than a featured one.

Ingenious imo what Talmy did, or who sequenced the songs back to back, or both. Despite the missing guitar overdub in MG, on disc two where the MG instrumental is mixed to stereo, you get a quick glimpse at the intro of Pete's cool rythmic guitar playing followed later by a bass guitar solo then finished off by Keith's manic drum dustup (with Pete more than just chiming in!) during the extended outro. That track which shows off in flashes the intruments is then followed by an A Cappela mix of Anytime You Want Me which features Roger's soulful and sweet lead vocal, John's insane falsetto, and group vocal harmonizing in other parts of the song. In the one, an early listen to the band playing their instruments as musicians, directly followed by the other, of them singing just as a vocal group. Pretty cool stuff.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Hep Alien and WhoTapes1 like this.
  12. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Anything we can add to this list from the new deluxe version?

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great thread and very informative so thanks to funkydude and others. I have all the HD Tracks stuff for MG and the 2012 Japan SHM (and loads of other cds of this album/material) along with the 2016 Super Deluxe edition. I think I can safely get rid of my mono 2012 UK/European cd which does not seem to get great reviews - or am I wrong?

Re Quick One here is the SHF thread similar to this one

[Guide] "A Quick One" by The Who: all tracks and where to find them

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's good if you have space on your CD rack you need filling.

Flaming Torch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.