Guided By Voices - Recent / Upcoming albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pop_Zeus, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This is exactly an example of a song I really love on ZOC. It's a total departure.

Pop_Zeus and mr. suit like this.
  2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Apparently it's Bob's favorite as well. I think that approach works sometimes (for example, I really like How To Murder A Man off of August By Cake), but it seems like a shame to have that in a song like You Own The Night that bounces along at a nice pace and has a super hooky chorus.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. Lemon Curry

I would counter that there's 4,000 2 minute GBV songs with a massive, addictive hook that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. It's ok this isn't one of them. I'm in with this adventure, tuned into the frequency.
    All I know is I'm spinning it a LOT.

theMess, Pop_Zeus, spindly and 2 others like this.
  4. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Universal Truths fan :edthumbs:

That one gripped me for months. I must have gone on 100 3 mile walks listening to it.

theMess, Echoes Myron and Pop_Zeus like this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Oh man, that was my life for a while.

Pop_Zeus and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I played UT&C this morning for the first time in ages. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I think I bought a whole load of Pollard stuff all at once when I got that album and simply didn’t digest it all before buying more! I definitely underestimated this one.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I suppose....

Imagine having so many great 2 minute songs that you can just say "**** it" and put in a detour in yet another great2 minute song. It's pretty astounding.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  8. Pop_Zeus

Just for fun, here is my GBV collection. All on CD, I dread to think how much vinyl fans must spend on GBV wax. Some were hard to find anyway, and its certainly not complete. Missing a couple of EPs, some side project stuff, live albums, Tonics & Twisted Chasers and the early albums box, which I really want, have just lost out on eBay a couple of times. I still haven't heard any of the pre-Propeller stuff, other than the Forever Since Breakfast EP from the UFOs box. So thats my next priority as I love the 'Same Place' songs from the live DVDs. Not shown: Electrifying Conclusion & Live from Austin DVDs. 4 'spineless' ones are Fast Japanese Spin Cycle EP, Glue on Bicycle (English Little League era b-sides promo disc), Not in My Airforce (promo, 16 song) & Zoom EP.

Pics taken before ZoC arrived. Recently moved house, been waiting a long time to properly display these as they've been spread about in boxes and all over the place. At over 70 releases, I own far more Pollard music than by any other artist. OP, not sure what your chosen format is, or if you're even thinking of getting the physical releases, but be warned, this is what can happen when you begin to enjoy GBV !

The only thing I don't have much of is the Circus Devils stuff. I just can't get into it. Its just too much of a departure from what Bob does best, for me to really enjoy. Maybe I'll look out for the 'Laughs Best' compilation or other CD recommendations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Nice collection.

Agreed about Circus Devils. I've followed almost all of Bob's side projects. Favorites are Boston Spaceships, Ricked Wicky and most of his stuff with Doug Gillard. But I never liked any of the Circus Devils. Not sure why. It just doesn't have the feel of the rest of his stuff.

I don't see Waving at the Astronauts by Lifeguards up there. Have you heard that one? It's a winner.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  10. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Fantastic! Mine is scattered around a bit and tough to take pictures of. But I do have all my music cataloged in Music Collectorz/CLZ Music and looks like I've got 79 GBV CD/LP/7"/10" and about 45 Pollard solo/offshoot.

I'm heading out of town, but I'll try to do the same thing when I get a chance.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. Pop_Zeus

Thanks. The Lifeguards releases are on my list to get, as are the Takeovers ones. It’s a shame the Lexo & the Leapers and Moping Swans releases are so short. Keene Brothers is great, even if the songs all blend into each other a bit.

I really enjoy Speak Kindly Of Your Volunteer Fire Department (what a title!), Choreographed Man Of War, Tower in the Fountain Of Sparks, and the Ricked Wicky & Boston Spaceships stuff.

12. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Regarding Circus Devils, try the last two or Gringo.
    Stomping Grounds and Laughs Last are solid albums, pretty accessible with some great songs. The strangeness is toned down a bit. I played Laughs Last a ton when it came out; it’s like Space Gun’s slightly more experimental brother. “Do The Nixon” holds it own with Bob’s best and “Smoke Machine” flat out rocks.
    Gringo is a cool album, with a Southwest/Morricone sorta feel. A lot of good songs on that one too.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  13. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Just his solo career is unbelievable. Every one of these has at least 4 or 5 gems and many have 10 or more gems. Never got into Standard Gargoyle Decisions but he released Coast to Coast Carpet of Love on the same day which more than made up for ir.

[​IMG]

theMess, DPK and Pop_Zeus like this.
  14. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I didn't like the first Lifeguards album Mist King Urth. Try Waving at the Astronauts first. Though they're not that similar

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You don't have Box or Suitcases 2-4.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm only a moderate GBV fan--I've always found their massive discography to be a bit daunting--but if you're looking for a great encapsulation of their 90s heyday, I strongly recommend the Human Amusements At Hourly Rates collection. Most of the songs that have been mentioned in response to your query are included here.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  17. Pop_Zeus

Here is the killer 2 disc GBV compilation I made. Its from 1992-2004 as I still need the pre-Propeller albums, and 2012 to present day is a challenge for another time, as is doing a Pollard solo comp.

CD1
    My Kind of Soldier
    Watch Me Jumpstart
    Things I Will Keep
    Buzzards and Dreadful Crows
    Tractor Rape Chain
    Official Ironmen Rally Song
    Drag Days
    Quality of Armor
    Blimps Go 90
    14 Cheerleader Coldfront (live at the Wheelchair Races)
    Gold Star For Robot Boy
    Dragons Awake!
    Surgical Focus
    Demons Are Real
    Unleashed! The Large Hearted Boy
    Dayton, Ohio, 19 Something and 5
    Little Lines
    Frostman
    Cut Out Witch
    June Salutes You!
    Eureka Signs
    The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory
    Teenage FBI
    The Enemy
    Atom Eyes
    I Am a Tree
    Hit
    Storm Vibrations
    Weed King
    Man Called Aerodynamics
    Wormhole
    Bomb in the Beehive

CD2
    A Salty Salute
    Skills Like This
    Chasing Heather Crazy
    Echos Myron
    Don't Stop Now
    As We Go Up We Go Down
    Matter Eater Lad
    My Thoughts Are a Gas (Demons & Painkillers version)
    An Unmarketed Product
    Cheyenne
    Postal Blowfish
    Game of Pricks (Tigerbomb version)
    Pretty Bombs
    My Impression Now (live at the Wheelchair Races)
    Over the Neptune / Mesh Gear Fox
    Shocker in Gloomtown
    Ghosts of a Different Dream
    Useless Inventions
    I Am a Scientist (Single version)
    Metal Mothers
    Exit Flagger
    Redmen and Their Wives
    Gold Hick
    Avalanche Aminos
    Everyone Thinks I'm a Raincloud
    Big Boring Wedding
    Hot Freaks!
    Smothered in Hugs
    Dodging Invisible Rays
    Planet's Own Brand
    Closets of Henry
    Mute Superstar

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Nice list. June Salutes You is a nice touch.

Also love Dodging Invisible Rays for a Tobin deep cut, but also needs "Scissors." :)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  19. Lemon Curry

Squeeze Jane Of The Waking Universe in there and we can shake hands.

20. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Ok, I'm going to admit something that goes against popular opinion. I don't think most of Tobin's songs are anything that special. Yes, there are a few I think are excellent (Good Flying Bird, cheerleader...) but generally his songs don't do much for me. Let's the flying rocks begin ..

21. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

There is a B-side song from the UTBUTS era that is one of my all time favorite GBV songs. It's called Finks.

theMess, spindly, kouzie and 4 others like this.
  22. Pop_Zeus

Big fan of that song. So many of their gems are hidden on EPs and random releases. The Demons & Painkillers disc from the UFO box is so good. That version of My Thoughts Are a Gas is incredible

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I always liked the Tonics & Twisted Chasers version far better. It's a different song really.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have you heard Carnival Boy? Wall to wall awesome.

dlemaudit and Pop_Zeus like this.
  25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I was never a big Tobin fan but I will say Carnival Boy & Moonflower Plastic were both really good. I also loved this song:

Pop_Zeus, theMess, kouzie and 2 others like this.