Guillermo Del Toro's "Pinocchio" (2022)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident Thread Starter

Animation feature film directorial debut of Guillermo Del Toro. Voice cast of Ewan McGregor, David Bradley, Gregory Mann, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman, Christoph Waltz and Tilda Swinton.

Can't wait for this film and saw a thread hadn't been created though it's supposed to hit Netflix in December. Anyone anticipating this release?

zobalob, Nephrodoc, ex_mixer and 4 others like this.
  2. Brendan K

ex_mixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Probably if anyone else was making a Pinocchio movie it wouldn't mean a thing to me... but this feels like fate; yes, excited! I really hope I can get to see it eventually (not having netflix).

zobalob, Brendan K and longdist01 like this.
  4. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Looks to be the best thing he's done since Pan's Labyrinth.

5. Brendan K

Guillermo on the director's chair feels like an idea that I never knew I could have wanted, but now that it exists it seems like the style and subject material match is an obvious, perfect fit.

6. Brendan K

I guess an updated official teaser (since they already had a first one?) dropped earlier this morning. Much more of the character design is apparent.

zobalob and MichaelH like this.
  7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Looks ok. What more can you say for now?

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks awful., if you ask me.
    Bring back Walt Disney.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes! Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone are great.

11. alexpop

Tim Burton wannabe.

12. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

This legitimately looks nothing like Tim Burton. It looks more like Henry Selick solo work, like James & the Giant Peach or Coraline. Do you think Tim Burton invented stop motion animation? Or do you think he invented dark, playful fantastical aesthetic? Either way, you are completely wrong.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Not interested as it's been told so many times.. Give us HellBoy 3:D

14. alexpop

Walt Disney did the definitive version ..give a little whistle

15. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Okay? Doesn't mean other adaptations shouldn't exist, especially ones done in different mediums/styles. I like Jean Cocteau's Beauty & Beast as well as the Disney's animated film. I like Jan Švankmajer's Alice as well as Disney's animated film. You can like multiple versions of the same story. Look how many different versions of A Christmas Carol there are.

16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The public connects The Nightmare Before Christmas to Burton more than it’s director Selick because Burton’s name is in the title. It was how the film was marketed. No one said Burton invented animation, but people associate the macabre look to him and his design work.

I realize you’re responding with sincere passion on the topic but you’re coming off a bit harsh on other posters.

alexpop, MichaelH and Brendan K like this.
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It’s looking great so far!

MichaelH likes this.
  18. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Looking forward to this one. Trailer looks fantastic!

zobalob and MichaelH like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

zobalob likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

zobalob and P(orF) like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks like drudgery to me. As someone said, the story is worn out (and not that great to begin with) and I was bored after a minute of the trailer. I think the wonders of stop motion have seen their day. I appreciate the work it takes, but the whole look just feels out of date. Now stop motion looks like clunky CGI.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm not sure about CGI looking clunky. In Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride they used techniques that made it look as smooth as CGI (such as haveing the ability to make micro adjustments to the character's faces rather than just replacing the head).

I'm looking forward to seeing this version. One thing that I hope they do is include elements from the original story that are often skipped when brought the screen (such as Pinocchio's adventures as a donkey).

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The voices are grating. What's with the cheap Italian accents. Couldn't listen to 2 hours of that film.

However not quite as grating as the most horrific cartoon voice of all: Dora the Explorer.

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Now available on Netflix. Only seen the trailer so far, but the animation looks terrific. 4k UHD too. Looking forward to seeing all of it.

25. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Unbelievable stop-motion animation and superb production values overall. The story should have been on an equal level.