Guilty YouTube pleasures

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Judge Judy, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the past couple of months I’ve become completely addicted to the following YouTube rabbit holes, and I can’t get out:

Drunk people getting removed from airplanes
    People calling the police but getting arrested themselves
    People acting entitled at Walmart
    People who acted horribly and then got fired from their jobs
    Judges holding self-styled legal experts in direct criminal contempt of court

And so on. Watching these things makes me feel like I’m some kind of bottom-feeder, but rather than be ashamed of myself, I keep watching them.

What’s YOUR shameful YouTube rabbit hole? Don’t be afraid. This is a safe space and a no-shaming zone.

2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Auto dealership sales training films and slide shows from the 50s/60s/70s.

3. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Spot-popping videos, obviously.

Dudley Morris and Judge Judy like this.
  4. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

ASMR

RickH, andy749 and jbmcb like this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not sure if I should feel guilty but I use YouTube mostly to watch golf vlogs. :)

Judge Judy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Transformers G1 toy reviews, the ones I had as a kid.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Jeff McCall

Jeff McCall Forum Resident

ReLaxing….watching people in off the grid cabins.

Morpheus and jbmcb like this.
  8. Judge Judy

I love this type of thing. Also shop safety films.

Long Live Analog and Paul Gase like this.
  9. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I enjoy some ASMR. Though, since the people who host ASMR videos are doing it willingly, and creating and uploading the videos to YouTube themselves, I think it's a bit of a different situation than, say, videos of Karens freaking out in the local park because someone let their dog off of a leash.

I sometimes like falling asleep to videos of CBS Radio Mystery Theater episodes on YouTube (every episode of the show survives, and they are all there). I like old-time radio, or radio drama, as some call it, but CRMT was pretty generic and mediocre, and rarely very good. Scripts were recycled from golden-age radio with minimal changes; slang is very out-dated, even for the 70s; budgets were low and the music came from library stock (often episodes of the Twilight Zone show); episodes are way too long at 60 minutes and obviously padded; and Hiram Brown churned out 7(!) episodes a week for years, factory style. Actors are usually good, though. It's juts boring enough that I get to sleep pretty quickly.

Keeping this on-topic, though, there is a great subreddit titled Public Freakout, which consists of YouTube clips of exactly what the title suggests. Lots of good ones with airplane incidents, usually due to passenger entitlement. Loads of fun. Not sure if I should feel guilty if the person freaking out usually has only themselves to blame. Be aware, though, that redditors there also sometimes upload very serious videos of police misconduct, and other subjects that are not in the least bit funny, along with the lighter stuff.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    Chuckee likes this.
  10. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Americans reacting to British comedy and music. Big fan of King Boomer

11. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I used to watch people doing stupid things with exotic sports cars and crashing them. Haven't spent much time on YT since they started going heavy on commercials and scripted intros. I might pull up a guitar lesson every once in a while.

carlwm likes this.
  12. Judge Judy

In the three months since I originally posted this thread, I have moved on to police body-cam videos of drunk driving stops. All of them say they're not drunk then promptly demonstrate that they can't walk a straight line or count to ten. Then they start crying. They should give out Oscars for these.

Grant and unclefred like this.
  13. DaBigBadWolf

DaBigBadWolf Forum Resident

sovereign citizens

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

that's why I LOVE NESTLE'S CRUNCH!

hi_watt likes this.
  15. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I've downloaded a since-taken-down video (for some reason) of someone with a binaural microphone taking a box of matches, lighting one and shaking them out next to each ear, then walking around the microphones while shaking the matchbox. I could listen to it over and over again.

Also, the "Prof. Johnson Does Something Spatial" track on the XLO Test and Burn-In CD, where he does nearly the same thing with a wood block and cymbal, but with regular cross-cardioid microphones.

Laibach likes this.
  16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Endlessly watching old episodes of “Top of the Pops” often in amazing quality and quickly taken down. Also developed a soft spot for “Solid Gold” episodes.

hi_watt, SmallDarkCloud and Thwacko like this.
  17. Judge Judy

Oh my god I love those. The judges they appear before seem not to embrace the sovereign citizen’s interpretation of US law.

18. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Old soap operas.

cwitt1980 and Judge Judy like this.
  19. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls...

I was recently somewhat amused by this one....

20. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls...

As for my guilty youtube pleasures (not really sure I should be guilty but...)

Police Interrogation analysis videos

"Scam Bait" videos

unclefred likes this.
  21. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

Anything uploaded by Techmoan is a must watch for me! And I’m usually up for a good hot pursuit chase that ends with a solid pit maneuver.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Remastered episodes of The Midnight Special have been uploaded to YouTube recently, by the copyright owners, and they look and sound spectacular. There’s a segment of The Bee Gees (pre-disco) performing a medley of Beatles songs that is wonderful.

jupiter8, Chuckee, Suncola and 4 others like this.
  23. Judge Judy

These all play out exactly the same way. I would love to see one where the driver just cops to it immediately and doesn’t engage in all the very unnecessary histrionics, but if anything, these people are too full of liquid courage to just take the L.

Komakino___ likes this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Car chases are good. Walking tours through 3rd world cities are interesting.

Judge Judy and Komakino___ like this.
  25. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Bald and Bankrupt, Harald Baldr & Kill Tony.

asdf35 likes this.