Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Actually the 7.1 mix on Kick 30 is not that compressed, average DR 13:

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR13 -2.64 dB -22.56 dB 2:21 01-Guns In The Sky
    DR13 -5.62 dB -24.65 dB 3:40 02-New Sensation
    DR13 -5.51 dB -24.18 dB 5:14 03-Devil Inside
    DR15 -6.08 dB -23.02 dB 3:02 04-Need You Tonight
    DR12 -9.85 dB -24.28 dB 2:36 05-Mediate
    DR12 -8.76 dB -25.37 dB 3:36 06-The Loved One
    DR13 -9.57 dB -25.48 dB 3:10 07-Wild Life
    DR15 -5.69 dB -25.24 dB 3:05 08-Never Tear Us Apart
    DR13 -5.70 dB -25.17 dB 3:18 09-Mystify
    DR12 -7.10 dB -23.66 dB 3:12 10-Kick
    DR13 -9.89 dB -26.91 dB 3:04 11-Calling All Nations
    DR12 -7.97 dB -24.09 dB 3:33 12-Tiny Daggers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 8
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4292 kbps

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

My birthday is a week from today and I was told by my brother not to buy the set for myself the other day when it was on sale at amazon. I hope this means he bought it for me as a gift or I am going to be one pissed off GNR fan on Sunday.:D

Can't wait to hear Rocket Queen in 5.1 surround sound.

3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

You guys are really on top of this stuff, or maybe I'm too slow.

I was coming to post that the super deluxe set is now $93.51 plus a 10% coupon on Amazon.

Maybe there will be an after Christmas blowout sale?? I'm a waitin'.....

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Same here dude.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I didn't think it was that bad downmixed to 5.1.

6. Not sure that DR reporting is correct. Listen to it—especially Guns in the Sky. Those opening synth drums are robbed of their impact.

7. It is conceivable that I have been playing the 2.0 track track on the Kick Blu-ray and my receiver has been using DSP to play it as a multichannel recording. Maybe that’s why I have not been hearing the overhead Atmos effects. I will check all my settings and make sure the proper Atmos track on the Blu-ray is playing and that my receiver is set to decode Atmos. Usually, I have it in a source direct mode, but it does sometimes randomly switch from source direct to “multi-stereo” or to Dolby Surround. It’s a well known bug with Sony receivers, even the very top of the line za5000es I own. One thing is for sure—the 2.0 mix on the Kick Blu-ray is heavily compressed. You only need to listen to the first few seconds of the album to know this.

8. I’m giving it another listen and making sure my settings are correct. The 2.0 mix certainly is very compressed, and I unwittingly could have been playing that.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Finally bit on this. With the conversion rate and the addition of the turntable, finally felt like an OK deal. I'll try to dump the turntable to defray the cost further and if so, finally get this at the price it should have been at originally.

12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

:righton:

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It would be a deal if I was liquid. What's the turntable and cart actually worth? This is silly for me as I don't own a stereo anymore and my records are still with my ex-wife.

14. Dreaddazzman

Project turntables usually go for between $400-$500. They're selling it individually at $550 USD. It doesn't matter to me if I can sell it, but that's what I'm going to try to do.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Is that model regarded as a good TT?

I've been thinking of getting a TT and if that's a good model at a good price, I might buy this package...

16. Dreaddazzman

Can't speak directly about this one, but I think Pro-ject TTs are generally thought of as good midrange priced tables.

I have this one currently:

Dinosaur Jr. Custom Turntable

and have been generally pleased with it. The only thing I don't love about it, is that you have to manually adjust the belt, by removing the platter, to change speeds.

(and the only reason I'm not hot to keep the GNR one is I already have several turntables.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks!

I'm tempted, but I don't think I care enough about the L&L edition to take the plunge.

I wouldn't use a TT for more than needle drops of some records I have from my yoot, and I suspect I could get a more than competent (for my needs) TT for about $300, tops.

So I'd spend the equivalent of $350 on the L&L edition vs. about $85 on Amazon (when it dips back to that price again - which I'm sure it will).

The added gewgaws for the L&L aren't worth another $265 or so - not for me, at least!

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Based on the pictures of the gnr table the pulley is on the outside which is super nice, my current table I have to pull the platter

This is a really tempting deal

19. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

The specs for the G-n-R turntable seem to match those of a Pro-Ject Esssential III: Essential III – Pro-Ject Audio Systems

If you need a turntable and love this G-n-R era, this seems like a good deal. If you are willing to go through the hassle of busting up the box and selling the exclusive items, it might be a great deal.

20. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Yeah I had just done mine digging it’s an essential 3, no real interest in the table from me but I’m sure it would be easy to unload that
    The real deal there is the box at the price after selling the table

21. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Even if you threw the TT away the box would still only be costing you half what it is on amazon.co.uk without the TT.

22. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

23. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident Thread Starter

24. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

TheLoveDrags and Michael Rose like this.
  25. Dreaddazzman

Finally had a chance to open my big box today. It’s really nice. Not worth 1K IMO, but I have no regrets based on what I paid for it.