Guns N Roses Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl_Blues, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove Thread Starter

This incredible rock band doesn't get enough love in this forum, but I know we still have some big fans here.

My appreciation for them has grown quite a bit over the past two decades (I first got into them around the year 2000, when I was 20), to the point where I love them now more than ever.

They are the quintessential rock band: dirty, aggressive, loud, bold, and uber-talented.

Despite his naysayers, I absolutely LOVE Axl's singing, a high-pitched wail that fits perfectly with their music and that few rock singers can replicate.

Alright, let's get the conversation started. Feel free to answer any or all of these questions:

1. When did you first dig this band's music and dive into their catalogue?
    2. What do you love about their material?
    3. What do you hope the future of the band will be? New music? Regular touring? Or simply mine the vaults for unreleased tracks and live shows? All the above?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

I first got into them when Appetite came out having first seen them on MTV when I was 19. I appreciated the fact they were more aggressive than the glam metal of the time.

One day when I was record shopping in Hollywood around '88 Axl was looking through the records too. The store was Rene's All Ears on Melrose, just down the street from the old Aaron's Records.

3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I’m an old school fan, got into them when I saw Welcome to the Jungle on MTV back in ‘87. At this point I have no expectations of them. Hope they stay together, hope they tour some more. New music? Sure, why not. I’m sure it won’t live up to anyone’s grand expectations, but that’s ok. I dug Chinese Democracy, think it’s a really solid album. What else can I say? Oh, would like to see Izzy join them again at some point. And more appearances by Steven would be cool too. I don’t care about Matt, just leave him out at this point.

I hope they do a deluxe Use Your Illusion box too. But a regular box set not the stupid, fat expensive one.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

As a preliminary note, I think GNR receives a lot of love and attention on the forum. The band certainly has its detractors on the forum, but over the years there has been some great in-depth discussion on the band.

I was in my early teens when the band broke with Appetite, but I wasn’t really into them at the time. I generally liked what I heard on the radio, MTV, and on friends’ cassettes, but never went as far as acquiring any albums during their 1987-1993 domination. I got really into their music a few years later around 1998, and consider myself a big enthusiast. As a side note, the first Guns related music I purchased was Izzy’s 117 Degrees.

I was impressed with the songwriting (particularly Izzy’s work), the musicianship, the arrangements, and underrated versatility.

As far as the band’s future, I’m not necessarily that intrigued with the idea of new recordings by Axl, Slash and Duff. The “classic” sound will never be replicated, especially without Izzy’s involvement. That said, if that is the direction, it will be interesting to see what the three of them can accomplish, although I have my doubts Axl will be able to collaborate with them in the studio. Regardless of what the trio does, I really want to see an expanded release (or box set) of Chinese Democracy, with unreleased material and alternate mixes.

5. buddachile

Agreed. There is no GNR lineup that matches the original. Adler sounded right in that band propelling a greasy rock groove. Sorum is great but does not deliver the grease.

6. Vinyl_Blues

That's amazing that you spotted Axl in a record store! Have you seen the band live?

buddachile and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Vinyl_Blues

Glad to hear you dug Chinese Democracy, as well. All things considered, I think it's an excellent album. Of course, it's hard for them to live up to anything they did prior to the early 90's, but it definitely satisfied my itch for more Guns N' Roses music.

And I'm definitely all-in for a UYI box sets. Don't know if there's any plans for that yet, but hopefully it happens.

I'm also eying tickets to see them at the "Louder Than Life" festival in September.

Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. buddachile

Actually no, I didn't. By the time I was a fan Appetite was out and they were playing big venues. I was (as I still am) into smaller venues.

It's funny, I've never seen some of my favorite artists because of venue size. Especially back when you had to wait in line to get tickets.

Regarding spotting Axl in Hollywood, I also spotted Chris Cornell once at aforementioned Aaron's Records. I had seen Soundgarden play a Holloween gig a few days earlier and then spotted the singer (they weren't famous yet) behind the counter. I guess he must have known the folks at the record store or something.

Matthew Tate, Fullbug and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  9. Vinyl_Blues

Glad to hear there's more love for G n' R on this forum than I originally thought. I was looking at a recent thread about the band and it felt like 60-70% of the comments were trashing them. Hence, this thread was created.

I will have to take a look at Izzy's 117 Degrees, that's not album I've listened to, but now I'm intrigued.

As for Chinese Democracy, I would love an expanded release of that album. There's enough to fill a box set, huh? I wasn't aware of that, although I shouldn't be surprised considering how many years the album was labored over.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

there is enough for at least 3 more cd's. the chinese era band re-recorded most of if not all of appetite. there is multiple mixes of the chinese democracy album some with vastly different parts. there is at least another 70 minutes of completed material with like 7-9 song titles already mentioned by people involved in the recordings

11. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

I like them but not a top band. When the big albums came out when in my teens I listened to them a lot. Still love their ballads.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

1. When did you first dig this band's music and dive into their catalogue?

Guitar Hero III (it's the truth! Young'un here) - dove into their catalogue a few years later. Listening to Appetite all the way through blew me away.

2. What do you love about their material?

It's like they yanked all the best elements of Hair Metal and the (arguably) dying rock genre throughout the 80s and created an extremely raw, loud, heavy and gnarly yet accessible style of hard rock.

3. What do you hope the future of the band will be? New music? Regular touring? Or simply mine the vaults for unreleased tracks and live shows? All the above?

New music!

Vinyl_Blues, Noonie and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Friend of mine living in NYC was plugged into the music scene and turned me onto Guns and tickets to the 1987 L'Amour and Ritz shows. I really loved how their music reminded me of classic rock.

While they grew on me over the years, I was let down when I first heard the UYI albums. They lost the bands rawness to me.

Would love to see Izzy back in the band and a new album but not sure Axl is into the old music vibe anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. buddachile

This!
    There's some great stuff on Illusion but the rawness is indeed gone.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Garden of Eden
    Double Talkin Jive
    Perfect Crime
    Back off Bitch
    Pretty Tied Up
    Locomotive

Are pretty dang raw.

16. buddachile

There's real aggression there but for me the drums sound polished enough (performance and mix-wise) to alone make the band sound less raw than on Appetite. (This is not a slight on Matt Sorum, who is a fine drummer and did a great job with Guns and Velvet Revolver.) Well, that's how I hear it anyway.

I think my favorite from UYI is You Could Be Mine.

Also, I like Chinese Democracy. Not the same Guns 'N' Roses but good record nonetheless. Maybe not 14 years in the making good, but good.

17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

that's funny...i remember buying Appetite while doing back-to-school shopping at melrose in later summer '87. i don't remember the record store name but it wasn't near Aaron's though... i was pretty early convert to the band, there were lot of hype surrounding them locally and KNAC were playing the hell outta of Welcome to The Jungle from the get-go. the album actually didn't broke nationally for a WHILE, not until Sweet Child of Mine was released as single. i was blown away by the album and they quickly became my favorite for the next few years, enough to do midnight purchase when Illusions came out.

sometime in late '88, i was doing my weekly record shopping at local store when i noticed 'brand new' original shrink wrapped Live Like A Suicide EP in G'N'R bin for like $5. 99. i've already bought The Lies EP that just came out around then so i 'stupidly' passed on it....i know, i know :shake:

18. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I like Chinese, but found there are too many ballads, and not enough rockers.

The Illusion albums are probably underrated, very popular at the time, but quite bloated, as was the tour.

I prefer UYI II, it’s just a better mix of songs.

GNR had it all for a short few years then threw it all away

While they are one of the best rock bands of the era, they are also one of the biggest disappointments of all time, who should have been the next Stones or Aerosmith.

Why anyone would delude themselves that the “reunited” line up could pull anything out the hat creatively after 30 years is beyond me.

And how many more presidents and wars until they get the next one released? It’s so ridiculous

19. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Love them to death. Appetite is hands down the greatest heavy rock album of all time. And that band, at that time, was everything Rock 'n' Roll was ever about.

20. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I could write pages and pages about my love affair with G n' R. But for now I will be brief.

I arrived at G n'R's music via Appetite, at the turn of the millennium. It was a thrilling antidote to the rather bloodless and processed music that seemed to dominate mainstream rock and pop at the time.

I stayed with G n' R for their stylistic breadth, which is something that they have in common with my other favourite bands like Zep and Queen. Of course, UYI and Chinese Democracy are all over the map. But even Appetite carries along a range of styles and feelings on it's blues metal chassis.

I do wish though that, after nearly 35 years as a band, they would have put out more than the 60 or so songs (including huge amounts of cover versions) than they have managed so far.

Come on Axl, Slash, Duff and Co - give us another album. In this lifetime please!

21. Former Lee Warmer

The last thing I want, is the band currently touring as GN'R to further tarnish their legacy by attempting to write and record a new album without Izzy.

I don't think even most Guns fans realize how much Izzy brought to the table, song-wise, but I'll put it like this :

No Izzy = No Guns

22. NunoBento

As for writing songs, agree.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Former Lee Warmer

Did you read the post I was responding to?

24. NunoBento

You mean the possibility of an Izzyless album? I've read rumours of him coming back, but I very much doubt he'll be back just for a tour, so if Izzy is indeed back, it will be to write new songs. Which is what Axl and Slash need. Truth is, no one knows what's going on at this point. I for one wish for a new album WITH Izzy writing. An Izzyless album might be fine too, but proceed with care.

25. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

This is one band that needs to release some proper live audio and video from the Appettite band era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.