Guns N' Roses are planning to hit studio in 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Guns N' Roses are planning to hit studio in 2019 ahead of more tour dates

[​IMG]

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Richard Fortus has confirmed the band are planning to hit the studio in 2019 and will 'hopefully get an album out soon.'

In a fresh interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Fortus revealed Guns N’ Roses will reconvene in the studio once Slash has wrapped up his current touring commitments with Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators.

Asked about Guns N’ Roses’ plans, Fortus said: "Slash is on tour right now. Once he gets back from that, we're gonna get some more recording done and hopefully get an album out soon. And then we'll get back to touring."

Echoing these comments, back in December Fortus said that Guns N’ Roses’ new album could be coming "faster than you think."

“We’re going to try and do another record and get it out soon. The band’s so great right now,” Fortus told KSHE.95.

“I think it will happen faster than you think. I sure hope it happens faster than you think.”

[​IMG]

Confirming a single “could definitely” be released in 2019, Fortus was then asked if Guns N’ Roses have already started laying down new material.

He responded: “Maybe. There might be stuff started. We’re hoping to get one out very soon.”

Speaking in issue 10 of Planet Rock magazine last autumn, Slash said the rock legends are keen to make an album but they haven’t had the opportunity to record it yet.

He told us: “I think in everybody’s heart of hearts we want to do a record, but we’ve been working so hard on the road that we haven’t really had the chance to sit down and focus on new material or anything like that.”

Guns N’ Roses’ sixth studio album ‘Chinese Democracy’ was released more than a decade ago in November 2008. The last record to feature Slash and Duff McKagan was 1993 covers album "The Spaghetti Incident?".

At the time of writing, Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators’ final UK show of 2019 is on 13th August at Hard Rock Live in Orlando, Florida. They play four sold out UK shows this month before returning for Download Festival in June.

2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

1. This would be more exciting news if it was coming from (in descending order) Axl Rose, Slash, or Duff McKagan.

2. I hate the "we've been too busy touring" reason for not writing. What else are guys doing with their days off or the other hours on show days? They aren't doing a lot of press. And I highly doubt at this point of their lives they're writing with two guys face to face and trading riffs and melodies. More likely they record pieces of music individually and trade them back and forth to see which ideas are workable to the others. So if they haven't been writing it's simply because they've made no effort to do so.

3. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed. Sounds like it might happen this time.

Getting the right producer in play could be the difference between a 2020 release and a 21/22/23...

4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Well, if it ever comes out, it will come out soon than I think.;)

wrappedinsky and kwadguy like this.
  5. Stankey

Stankey Well-Known Member

Here starts another Chinese Democracy delay again lol

Zoot Marimba and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Richard Fortus has historically always said similar things in interviews, hopefully this time with Slash and Duff back in the mix it will actually happen. Saw GNR on this last tour and they were great, it would be fun to hear what Slash, Axl, and Duff can do together once again (hopefully with Izzy even as a behind the scenes songwriting contributor)

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Exactly. Anyone not one of those three knows about as much about the current status of Gn'R as we do.

9. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Slash has confirmed they are working on ideas Slash Says New Guns N' Roses Album Is in the Works

But with the following caveat "The guitarist cautioned there’s no timetable for the new release, explaining that the group doesn’t do well with set schedules. "It's just, with Guns N' Roses, you don't go, 'Oh, there is a plan, and it's gonna be like this,' because that's not how it works," he said. "So, basically, the only real answer to give is we're hoping to put a new record out, and we'll just see what happens when it happens."

10. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

No Izzy?, ..so it will be:

a.- 1995-1996 all over again (eternal delay, band members replacement, covers EP or album, etc.), this time is "side projects" :rolleyes:
    b.- Another Axl solo album now with Slash and Duff

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Probably a combination of both (a) and (b).

Izzy is out of the band (and at one point seemed a bit bitter that he was not part of the reunion) — I doubt he will return for recording, unless he is invited and decides he wants some publishing revenues.

12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Yup. It seems that Slash and Duff have corroborated what Richard Foetus has said about new recording taking place.

Will it be new band songs? Chinese Democracy outtakes with overdubs (if its anything like what made the album, any more overdubs woukd surely make their pro tools system explode!)?

Whatever happens I expect that any final product won't come out for years. But when it does, it will be more than a bit good.

enro99 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

2030. Not before.

lordfalconer and jason202 like this.
  14. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Slash sounds a little more definitive this time, saying the band plans to work on the album later this year:

Explaining why he’d been indirect in the past, Slash told 101 WRIF (via Alternative Nation), “The thing is, we hadn’t really done anything yet, and I don’t like to say anything. You know how people promote **** and lie through their teeth? So I just wanted to be honest, and there was no telling what we were going to do at that point. But at this point, I do know we are going to do this one, and we’ve already started working on stuff. There you go.”

Slash Confirms New Guns N’ Roses Album Is Happening

enro99 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or an AC/DC album with Axl fronting the band and Slash and Duff as special guests. :p

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Good Lord no.

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I do believe I shall hold my breath for this one.

johnnybrum, DTK and mbrownp1 like this.
  18. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I wonder if they have any chemistry, or if this will be a one-at-a-time-in-the-studio record... If it even happens.

19. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

For all reports they seem to be getting on ok, but with modern recording methods I think it's more likely they be recording music/vocals separately. I think spending too long in the studio as a band would drive them all insane. Let's just hope Axl doesn't overdub Slash's guitar work or bring in extra guitarists without him knowing...

The writing credits have always been a mixed affair, but as long as they write some of the music together that'll do me. The rest of the band are more than competent so hopefully they can pull out some fairy dust and release a decent album. I've enjoyed Slash's albums and even Chinese Democracy so I should be easier to please than most!

20. There's a chance it might come out before the next My Bloody Valentine album, though.

Sci-Flyer and johnnybrum like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, man. I agree. Ugh.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  22. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

I really don't think Slash and Richard Fortus work that well together live so I can't see it working as well in the studio as I or many people want it to. Fortus doesn't have the groove, blues or swagger of Izzy or even Gilby. I can understand why Slash said back in the early 90s when Zakk Wylde was in the frame to replace Izzy that two lead guitar players wouldn't work in GN'R. He's right, it doesn't. I don't want to hear Fortus solo, I want to hear Slash. I want to hear two GN'R guitarists grooving together around a riff, not competing.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    enro99 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

More tour dates announced today. It's hard to turn off the moneymaking machine and focus on that new material, isn't it? (Same goes for my Stones, alas.)

RogerB likes this.
  24. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I’ve got the “over” on any of these happening in 2019:

New GNR Single
    New GNR Album
    New GNR Tour
    Finding D.B. Cooper
    Finding Jimmy Hoffa
    Landing on the Moon

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I haven't given up hope that the new dates might be in support of a new album. Perhaps called 'Use Your Delusion'.

But seriously, and sadly, far more people will be interested in hearing Welcome To The Jungle for the millionth time than hearing any new songs. And GnR (well, Axl, Slash, and Duff) can pocket far more from a even few arena shows than from a new album.

enro99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.