Guns N' Roses - Best Studio Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

This poll is damn one sided! I expected "Appetite" to have the upper hand, even though it's not my personal opinion, but clearly not by this far...

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    carlwm likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There can be a difference between best and favorite. For many, it will be the same with respect to Appetite For Destruction, widely acknowledged as the band's best album, and one of the very best hard rock albums from the 1980's, if not in history.

3. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Indeed, it is a subjective subject.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

With respect to choosing a favorite, yes, it is subjective. But analyzing the merits of music is more than subjective; for example, one can personally prefer Use Your Illusion II, but acknowledge that Appetite For Destruction is the band's best album based on a number of factors and analysis.

5. Appetite + side 2 of Lies = all you need, really.

6. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

Getting rather deep now, but I get your drift.

7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

This is like polling on Michael Jackson albums. I don't care how much you personally like Bad or Off the Wall, Thriller is going to dominate the poll. GNR had one album indisputably bigger than the others.

Fullbug and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Who voted for Chinese Democracy?

scobb and Fullbug like this.
  9. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

As I said in another thread, most of GNR's music has aged poorly for me, but I find myself revisiting the musical sprawl and ambition of the "Illusion" albums -- "II," especially -- more than I find my adult self having an appetite for "Appetite." I find all of their albums inconsistent and at times cover-my-ears embarrassing, but at this point in my life "Use Your Illusion II" has the most songs I'm likely to seek out for personal pleasure.

wore to a frazzel likes this.
  10. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Or, if you're lucky like me, Appetite and Live Like a Suicide. :D

Man at C&A and vamborules like this.
  11. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Ok, seriously, who's voting for Democracy? :crazy:

Appetite is if course the one correct answer. By far their best, and one of the best hard rock albums of that decade.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Not with the word "best" in there. At least by itself. Best AT what? As someone said earlier regarding UYI I as a solo 'it wouldn't have the attitude or balls to the wall" whatever. UYI II is the best GnR album for me because it's not all attitude and boogie. Best selling? Best mastered? Best what? Overall best? Totally subjective. Except for UYI II is the correct answer, of course.

13. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Although I like the Illusions, there’s just too much filler type tracks on them. 7/10 for both.

I don’t even count Chinese as a GNR album. But 6/10

TSI is one of the worst albums ever recorded! 1/10 that’s generous.

Lies was just an EP and shouldn’t be here.

Appetite by a landslide. 10/10

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Forgive me for following the herd but it's Appetite for me. Breath of fresh air at the time. Didn't enjoy much of what followed.

Apropos of nothing, Duff McKagen's new record is getting very positive reviews. Outlaw country in style, seemingly, with Shooter Jennings in producer's chair. I'm definitely curious to hear it.

15. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I think the songs on DM are some of their best, and the mastering issues are fixed on the version on their website.

16. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure there's been threads about making a really great single album UYI, but has there ever been a thread to make the worst? That could be fun.

I voted AFD by the way, followed by UYI2 which is pretty good too.

Szeppelin75 and andrewskyDE like this.
  17. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy Chinese Democracy but it's not really a GNR product. Lies I enjoy a lot too. Of course, I voted for AFD.

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

No contest.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  19. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

"My World" should be the lead-off track. After that, it's a matter of making the most disjointed & poorly-sequenced batch of tracks possible!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

I think Chinese Democracy is an excellent album. I also have no issue labeling it as a GNR album. Whether people like it or not, Axl retained control of GNR and the band evolved into a different line-up. GNR has had a very fragmented, disjointed history with a lot of line-up changes and the legendary Appetite line-up was short-lived. And really, the Appetite line-up was never going to be long-lasting; in fact, they almost imploded before Appetite was recorded.

21. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Estranged should be enough to put UYI II into second place.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Honestly, at this point, I rank Democracy second behind Appetite. I mean, there's great stuff on the Illusions, but so much filler on both that it's a slog to get through either one in one sitting. Democracy isn't all winners, but it's so fascinating and ridiculous that it almost doesn't matter.

Mark7 likes this.
  23. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

It's enough to put it into first place for me.

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This isn't even a question is it?

25. Next poll: . . . Sex Pistols favorite studio album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.