Guns N' Roses - Best Studio Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

by far;
    Appetite For Destruction

2. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

Appetite is great but it does feel a little safe and samey compared to the rest of their discography. Honestly I had to say Chinese Democracy. It is the most rewarding of all their albums and it's worth going back to many times

BluesOvertookMe and sweetdudejim like this.
  3. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

I imagine he did it based on his interests in industrial music. If anyone wonders what a mid-90s Axl Rose solo record would’ve sounded like, My World is probably a good example. I don’t think it wouldn’t have sounded as out of place on Chinese Democracy, actually.

4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Just like Oh My God.

5. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

Appetite!

Should Chinese be in this poll? It's only GnR from a who legally owns the name, right?
    I consider it to be an Axl solo album.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  6. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

Pchu, am I glad he didn't do solo, back then.
    Are you serious? Any song on "Chinese Democracy" is lightyears better than "My World" in my opinion. Actually, almost every song that exists is lightyears better than "My World", if you ask me. I think, if they had put it on "Chinese Democracy" it definatly would've completely ruined that album, as well. For me, "My World" isn't just out of place on UYI II. To be honest, for me, "My World" is no music. This track is only annoying noise, anyone could do, if they really want. I absolutely hate it. Axl has such a great talent to write fantastic songs, but this track doesn't show any of that. Everytime, I forget to stop my CD after "Don't Cry" has finished and "My World" comes up, it only really sucks to me. As I said, in my opinion it would have been

Anthrax likes this.
  7. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I do like Chinese Democracy. An interesting listen if given a chance. BTW Jungle is approaching, if not having surpassed, the "played way too much" zone a la Stairway. Best saved for weddings, etc.

8. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

There was also a problem with distribution in the UK. I can’t remember exactly whether it was a strike or the they went bust but the supplier to a lot of the big outlets for music,(Woolworths, Tesco etc...) were having trouble. The place cards were in the racks but the shops had no stock to sell you.

9. unclesalty

unclesalty Rzzzzz!

I’m not making any quality judgements, just saying stylistically its not a far cry from the music on Chinese Democracy.

10. KurtNevermind

Ok, understood your point. Still, I have to admit, I wouldn't want it on "Chinese Democracy" either.

11. KurtNevermind

Well, still, if you ask me "My World" would be light years out of place on any album by any band, except from a compilation album containing the worst songs history has ever seen.

12. KurtNevermind

The main reason I'm not a fan of "Lies" is that I personally, even if many are of a different opinion, just don't like the 2nd side (Except from "Patience", which is one of GNR's best ballads). Talking about "Spaghetti Incident", I don't really dislike everything on it. "Since I Don't Have You", "Raw Power" and "Ain't It Fun" are pretty cool if you ask me, but I agree that some parts of the album are very strange (e.g.: "Down On The Farm", "Look At Your Game, Girl", etc.).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  13. KurtNevermind

As well you have to admit that everything on "Spaghetti Incident" is better than "My World".

14. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I did. The album that became Chinese could have gone two ways; the blues rock by the numbers album that became the first Slash's Snakepit album, or a new direction and vision where the band (no matter who the members are) tackle different styles.

Don't get me wrong, I love Appetite, it's got that sleaze rock swagger that is classic. But this band has always been about moving forward. Even towards the end of Appetite's tracklist, it becomes a bit more progressive. The Use Your Illusion albums were definitely a transitional point between that and what was ahead.

The '99/'00 Chinese Democracy demos that are surfacing lately are even more indicative of some great stuff that was happening. There were definitely efforts to transcend what they'd done in the past. Some of it really does sound like NiN meets Zeppelin. Great stuff.

15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

This. The others don’t come close IMHO

16. KurtNevermind

Not completely true, no other albums have ever coursed such a massive onrush onto the music stores than the 2 "Illusion" albums have, when they were released...

You see?! "Appetite"'s not the only GNR album that wrote history...

17. KurtNevermind

"My World" is NO music!!!

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It was awful. Possibly the worst double LP ever made.

19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

You're talking 'history' in the sense of hype, promotion, and sales.

Appetite wrote 'history' for its music.

20. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I voted for "Chinese Democracy". It's my favourite album of theirs : but not the best. It's brave, bonkers, often strange, and compelling. He should pay royalties to his ex though, every song seems to be about her.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Appetite is great but I cannot believe the disrespect towards the Illusion albums. Give me a break, it shouldn't be THAT big of a landslide.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm shocked that anyone chose The Spaghetti Incident.

23. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Then they got home and played them...

24. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I sped read that and immediately thought of something like ‘Appetite for A Country Pie’, which almost sounds plausible now :whistle:

25. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

Appetite For Destruction, for the sheer chutzpah and swagger.

But it was a toss up with Use Your Illusion I. There's a lot to like on that album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.