Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I or II? Which part is the better one?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

Although I'm a huge Nirvana fan and I'm aware of the fact that these two bands didn't get along with each other, I've allways enjoyed listening to Guns N' Roses, too. The album I like best from GNR is "Use Your Illusion" because of the many great songs its two parts contain (such as: "Dust N' Bones", "Don't Cry", "Bad Obsession", "November Rain", "The Garden", "Civil War", "14 Years", "Yesterdays", Knockin' On Heaven's Door", "You Could Be Mine",etc.). But I was never quite sure which one of the two parts is the best. I voted for "Use Your Illusion I", but it really is a damn hard choice. What do you think about this?

Diamond Star Halo and 905 like this.
  2. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Well liking Nirvana is irrelevant in a GNR post but I'll go with II as it contains Yesterdays, You Could Be Mine, Estranged, Breakdown, and Pretty Tied Up which are classics imo. They're very close and GNR did a great job sequencing the albums.

3. KurtNevermind

I do understand what you mean and the songs you mentioned are absolutely great but the main reason I chose to vote for I is that I really hate the last track "My World" on II. It's only annoying and a really bad closer for such a great album since the other 13 tracks are fantastic.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Tyler Chastain likes this.
  4. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

My World is one of the worst songs of the 90's

5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've listened to a combined "best-of" version since they both came out, but Use Your Illusion II is stronger. As an added bonus, II doesn't have that crap version of "Live and Let Die".

jason202 likes this.
  6. KurtNevermind

Not only of the 90's. "My World" is one of the worst songs ever. Well, at least if you can call something like that a song. It's just uncessary to include this crap on such a great album. Can't understand why Axl did that. "Don't Cry" would have been a perfect "end" for the second part since it is a fantastic song and both versions of it have very strong lyrics.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I usually don’t vote for sequels as the better of anything; however, as these were a mere (and successful) marketing play, I voted UYI II

8. psychedeliceddie

psychedeliceddie Forum Resident

I agree it's pretty much a tie, though UYI II has the edge for me because of Locomotive - a very underappreciated gem. But then again, Don't Damn Me on the first UYI is in my personal all-time Top 5 of G 'n R songs. Shame they've never performed that one live.

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I went with UYI I. In general, it rocks harder, more hit singles, and the last track (I think we can all agree), is far superior than what closes UYI II.

KurtNevermind and coffeetime like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Part 1 has much better songs as a whole and less mediocre filler.

11. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

All of GNR's music has aged pretty poorly for me, but "Use Your Illusion II" is probably the album I still enjoy most out of all of them. "Civil War," "Estranged," "Locomotive," "You Could Be Mine," "Yesterdays" -- these are probably my favorite songs in their catalog.

On the flipside, "Get in the Ring" and "My World" are about the most embarrassing songs I can think of by any artist.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely II - even with "My World"!

jeffd7030 and MitchLT like this.
  13. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I enjoy Use Your Illusion II much better. The songs are just more fleshed out. If they would have only switched "November Rain" from I with "Estranged" on II and gotten rid of that terrible Axl musical masturbation "My World" then UYI II would be a masterpiece.

KurtNevermind likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

II easily, though I still reach for 1 to hear "Coma".

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Axl's 8 minute ballads are terrible. Or all the "epics" on both albums are dicey. Prefer the short punky/stonesy songs.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I couldn't pick one as superior. To be honest I blank out when it comes to the a̶b̶Use Your B̶a̶n̶d̶m̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ Illusion albums.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There are fewer skippable tracks on I

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  18. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Tough one.

Part 1 has more "hits". Part 2 is also very good. Love the song Estranged on part 2. I say a tie!!

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  19. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Use Your Illusion Too

wrappedinsky and MitchLT like this.
  20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Neither......but there is one sheer brilliant album between them both if you dig it out

KurtNevermind, MPLRecords and joel80 like this.
  21. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I'm going with 1 because it has "Coma" and the underrated duet with Alice Cooper "The Garden"

andrewskyDE and coffeetime like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Neither is sufficient on its own. I bought them cheap, eventually, but was never a big enough GnR fan to repeatedly comb through every last track enough times to pick out a preferred playlist. Lots of times, I would think "Oh, song [x] would be good right now. But it's on the other disc."

So it counseled patience on part of the listener: "Yeah, but you're HERE now." It was hard to think of them as two different albums. It was impossible (pre "Rip, Mix, Burn") to treat them as one.

And had they left half the stuff on the cutting room floor, like everyone says they should have, people would still be pining for the Great Lost Illusion album or some such nonsense (but we'd probably see a $300 deluxe box set for it, today).

From day 1, I admired the whole approach and project and ambition more than I actually listened to it. Lotta thrilling stuff, lotta dreck, but I can't fault the "stunt" part of it.

23. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

UYI II is almost a great album, if only they left of the dire Shotgun Blues & My World.

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Dust n bones!

Szeppelin75 and KurtNevermind like this.
  25. jhershauer

jhershauer Forum Resident

II for me as well. I'd say Yesterdays and the back-to-back Estranged/You Could Be Mine pushed it over the top for me.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.