Gustard X26pro MQA - New release DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Linger63, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG] The Gustard X26pro MQA an updated and improved version of the X26 has just been released.
    Highlights include dual ESS 9038 PRO DAC chips, twin toroidal PSU's and NO OP AMPS in the signal path.

Also available in Silver.

GUSTARD X26 PRO MQA Full Decoding ES9038Pro*2 Chip DSD512 Bluetooth 5.0 XMOS XU216 High Performance Audio Decoder

Impressive SQ review with great pics here.......

The One to Beat: Gustard X26 PRO DAC Review

Tech review with measurements here........

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-gustard-x26-pro/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Tinnitus Andronicus and Tim 2 like this.
  2. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

So has anyone here purchased or compared this DAC to their existing DAC hardware. I'm looking to upgrade from an ifi DSD which I've had now for a few years.....anyone ?

3. big_pink_floyd_toole

big_pink_floyd_toole I am not a bat

Haven’t heard it but it’s a very cool, super overbuilt DAC. Getting the SINAD down below -120db is some very interesting engineering and a lot of work went into this thing.

I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw this in the review linked, however:
    1. DSD Filter: has 4 positions, 47K, 50K, 60K and 70K. You are selecting the cut-off frequency for DSD files. If you want a crispier sound, go for 70K and if you like a smoother top-end, go with 47K. I felt it at 47K – its default position

Linger63 likes this.
  4. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Yeah...crispier sound, that's a new one to me...:laugh:.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Maybe they just mistook the DAC for a bowl of custard and wanted a crispy top like a crème brûlée.

pscreed and Linger63 like this.
  6. big_pink_floyd_toole

big_pink_floyd_toole I am not a bat

Not only that, but why would you want the LPF to be HIGHER than 47-50khz? That makes no sense. If anything, I’d want options that are lower.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. Linger63

Yep..........I did.
    Check out my findings here......... DAC journey with "happy ending"

8. Linger63

LOL
    Probably just their way of describing ultrasonic treble.......:pug:

9. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Well I've got aging ears too, so maybe crispier sound setting would not be annoying...:laugh:

Linger63 likes this.
  10. ea666

ea666 Active Member

I’ve just ordered the X26pro. I have been using the x16 since launch so hoping this will be better.

one question the digital input label 10mhz is that a digital bnc input?

11. Linger63

12. ea666

ea666 Active Member

13. Linger63

LOL..........no need to apologize as I should have elaborated that it is a specialized connection ONLY for use with an external 10 Mhz clock
    however filling out your Equipment Profile would have helped with my answer here a bit though.

As I don't know what CD transport you are using I will have to guess that it only offers SP/DIF outputs consisting of Optical and Coaxial.
    These are the the connections to use in conjunction with your X26Pro DAC's inputs.

DO NOT use the BNC (10Mhz in) external clock connection.

BTW..........congrats on the order.......I think you will be quite happy.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  14. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Yes, the X26 has five(5) digital inputs:
    1. USB
    2. I2S
    3. AES
    4. TOSLINK optical
    5. SPDIF coax
    Does your CD player have something different for digital output?

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I have one of these in house. I expected it to sound bright and nasty out of the box. It didn't. I connected the CD transport using the AES/EBU connector with a DL Labs cable. For computer audio, I use the USB input from the Mac Mini, running Audirvana Studio (the current Audirvana software). The only thing I can compare it to is the Border Patrol which is known for its midrange; this has more range low to high but doesn't sound as artificial as I expected and still needs break in time. It also doesn't run as hot as I was led to believe (an earlier model apparently ran quite hot).
    Seems to be well made and a lot of bang for the buck in the under 2k dollar category. Then again, there's a lot of competition in the lower priced DAC category.
    I've always given digital short shrift. I think my next step is to get ethernet into my room and try the Bricasti, which my friend Ken (and a few others) rave about. Big price difference at retail between that and these lower priced DACs.
    I also have to commend the manufacturer/distributor for how they handle online orders-- I got mine through Amazon given their generally consumer friendly return policy. The seller assigned a contact person to me throughout the transaction, who stayed in touch with me from the time the order was placed until the unit was delivered and running, to make sure nothing went awry. Smart approach given the online world of anonymous persons within large or remote companies. (I contrast that with my experience trying to get support directly from Microsoft- a huge conglomeration of siloed expertise where multiple phone calls are necessary to get to the "right" person to answer even a simple question).
    N.B. I'm not an IT person and am barely competent at computers, unlike some of you here.

16. ea666

ea666 Active Member

thanks for the info.

so in terms of my current set up i have a Cyrus cd-xt signature transport connected to coax input of the x16 and my streamer Prisma NP5 into the optical TosLink.

I was hoping I could change/improve the toslink when I saw the BNC input on the x26pro … lol

Linger63 likes this.
  17. Cherrycherry

ea666 likes this.
  18. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Hmmm. Always curious why the "bright and nasty" bias? Devices of this pedigree and internals should sound highly neutral.

Linger63 likes this.
  19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Perhaps a baseless preconception. I had the impression that the ESS chips were harsh compared to the more favorably treated AKM chips.
    My preconceptions are also rooted in early experiences in digital, which did sound nasty to my ears (though it is possible that some of those early CD players used chips that are now preferred as non oversampling types).
    And the general experience in audio (almost entirely analog, rather than digital) that you get what you pay for.
    I'm somewhat gratefully wrong, and admit it. This unit has, even without extensive break in time, proven to sound robust, clear and presents a real sound stage without the forwardness or "digital edge" that I dread. Again, my misconceptions confront a reality that has shown me that reality wins.
    I know you have deep experience in the digital arena, and though I have a long history in analog audio, I admit to a long held bias against digital for consumer audio* which I am now, somewhat pleasantly surprised, was either wrong or, at the least, outdated.
    Is that a fair response?

*The distinction regarding consumer products is one that I make only because I have heard the work of archivists restoring early recordings- acetates cut direct to disc or transcription discs from the pre-war period that were vastly improved through considerable processing in the digital domain.

Linger63 likes this.
  20. Bumping this thread up to see if anyone who hasn't already posted has had experience with this DAC. I am going to upgrade from my Rega DAC-R maybe later this year and this model seems to have exceptionally impressive build and design. Here is a link to the informative review on the model...

21. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

I have had this DAC for about 6 weeks now and think it is wonderful. I moved from the Topping D90 MQA to this and have been very pleased. Deeper soundstage and wonderfully smooth without losing any detail. I believe the class A analog stage, the precision clock, custom filters and excellent power supplies make all the difference. I highly recommend it.

Linger63 and Tinnitus Andronicus like this.
  22. Where did you buy it and have you had occasion to connect with customer support? How do you update the firmware, I read that it comes with firmware on a mini CD? and that they have no website to check for new firmware. Even my discontinued Oppo player has wifi connectivity so it can keep the firmware up to date.

23. Cherrycherry

The only firmware updates are for the USB port support.
    They are available on the miniCD and also available at "Gustard.cn" in the upper right of the webpage, you you can select "English" and navigate to the manuals and firmware.

24. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

I purchased it through Amazon from the seller Aoshida. They were very communicative. As mentioned, you can reach Gustard directly at www.Gustard.cn There are drivers and a manual downloadable from the website. The only problem I have heard of was for Linux users and the USB. Gustard released a new firmware file and update tool (.exe) specifically for those users. No complaints from Mac or PC users. Mostly those running Raspberry Pi boxes on a Linux kernel. There is a link to download the f/w update over at www.audio science review.com or you can ask for it from Gustard. I have had no issues with my unit.

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  25. Thanks for all that info, much appreciated. I may have to take the risk and buy one of these but I'm gonna wait till Amazon gets them in again in black. I don't like silver hifi components and if I have a choice it's black for me.

UCrazyKid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.