Hacked? No, not the SH Forums. BUT: Compromised Staff Account!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SHTV Staff, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

So you think it was someone with a high level of familiarity with this forum?

ARK, imarcq, Guy Smiley and 1 other person like this.
  2. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

That’s what he wants you to think!

3. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Click on the X in the upper right hand corner

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know, I didn't even see that X until I was looking at it on my Kindle this morning.

5. I got a rather normal message from Steve stating the forum was hacked and to use stronger passwords and 2fa. I now know that was not the real Steve, but it’s good advice nonetheless.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think that was the real Steve. The hacked message was the one with the "Hahahahahahah" and saying it was going to be fun around here.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

What I don't get about using a random-generated password is don't you have to store that password somewhere other than in your brain? Hardly makes it secure.

John B Good likes this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

There are two options, that I’m aware of:

1) Get a small alphabetized “binder”, your very own “little black book” if will and store that in a safe place.
    2) There are online sites that will manage all of your passwords, for a fee I think.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's what I do now. I write stuff down in a little book. It's come in very handy.

10. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Same here.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It wasn’t Steve..he has already said he sent no mass messages. It was the hacker basically laughing at people for not using 2 Factor as that would have stopped him from getting in. Hopefully that hole is now plugged and all Mods are required to use 2 factor going forward as unlike us regular members they have admin features and options that you wouldn’t want someone unauthorized to have access to.

Lost In The Flood and slipkid like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I'm guessing John...

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Who is the real Steve?
    There's a Steve who I gather is a wizard engineer ( I saw his name just the other day on a Mamas and the Papas CD I have and it does indeed sound good).
    And then there's another Steve who bugs me now and then about putting artist's names in my thread titles.
    Who is the real Steve?

14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I heard that the real Steve died years ago and if you play various Audio Fidelity masterings backwards you can hear the clues

Charles Adams and Frittenköter like this.
  15. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I'll need my ear trumpet for that! ;)

Karnak likes this.
  16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

More secure passwords is something everyone should at least attempt to do. With what just happened, it has given me the impetus to get this project in motion.

Problem is I can’t find the book I bought literally years ago to start this very project! I think it’s hiding under a pile of CDs in The Dungeon.

17. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Was the 403 msg and the (non-working) popup username/password login part of the site's security feature?

18. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

This. I don't even share news about my recent purchases anywhere, for the same reason. This is a very high profile site, brimming with information about its users that could be valuable to those who work in retail, who have access to customer data and recent orders.
    I have warned people against replying in those "tell us about your recent music purchases" threads. At the very least I expect that many vendors are doing market research here, under aliases.

Do you always believe the official story? You do take more risks that way.

The best practice would be creating an individual account for all sites. It's a pain, but worth it when **** hits the fan.

I like the way you think. We're through the looking glass, people...

You'd be surprised how often that happens, legit companies willingly selling customer info.

slipkid likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No surprise here. I assume every damn one of them, especially stuff like yahoo mail (which has already basically admitted it as part of their new agreement once they got taken over by "OATH" or whatever their name is) do this. Everything is about making $$. Our information is a commodity to sell all over the place for ad targeting and anything else you could imagine.

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I got the 2fa PM as well.
    I thought it was Steve telling me to enter a stronger password. Never thought it was a prank.

21. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Selling information about users is a given with Microsoft and Google etc, but I think it's rarer that companies give away people's email addresses for profit. If the latter was more common, there would be more spam in fresh accounts that haven't been part of breaches.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm one of the most cynical people on the planet, so no. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, either. I believe what you say, but I still don't think, by and large, the incident was that big of a deal.

Dreaddazzman and GentleSenator like this.
  23. Arezzo

Arezzo Forum Resident

Deleted. I've sorted the problem out.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The “master system” detected that 80,000 emails were being generated all at once, assumed it was spam and automatically shut us down as a protective measure. It took some time to get back up because it had to be switched back on by a live person. The system was just trying to protect itself.

ARK, Lost In The Flood, xaml and 5 others like this.
  25. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I couldn't get in this morning and had to reset my password.
    All fixed now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.