Hacked? No, not the SH Forums. BUT: Compromised Staff Account!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SHTV Staff, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parman

parman Music Junkie

Good Job! :righton:

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I feel like a celebrity with my name up on the banner.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Are you logged in as me?

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Thanks to the Gorts for all you do to keep this train running on time!

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's all lies....I actually have no patience

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

My private message from “Steve” was about being hacked.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I didn't see the section where I can enable two step verification when I had to log in where I had to use my randomized alphanumeric password from when I first signed up as a member.

Does anyone know where to enable this on this site?

Nevermind I just saw it in my dropdown profile menu. DOH!

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I first read an email from Steve that read HACKED.

9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I thought Steve had become a hacker. :D

10. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

[​IMG]
    If only they'd use their powers for Niceness instead of Evil.

11. Tim Lookingbill

Well I changed my password but I thought I got an error box because the page didn't change which made me think I used unauthorized characters as part of my password so I changed the new one to all letters and numbers and then I REALLY got a red error box. I gave up. I don't know what my new password is that's recorded into SHF.

I got the confirmation code from my email for the two step verification. I'm logged in so I'm not going to worry about it because I've always stayed logged in all these years. The forum is functioning fine as before.

All this is confusing as hell as usual with things involved with internet and computer security. If they want my junk, they can have it! Freakin' hackin ' A-HOLES!

12. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I just wanted to make sure he wasn’t having a stroke.

Who smells toast?

13. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

...until something happens to your third-party cookies.

14. Tim Lookingbill

Do you think I should toss the SHF cookies? and create a new menu bar icon which is probably what I'm going to have to do to stay logged in because that doesn't work any more when I quit my browser, relaunch and click on SHF menu bar button.

Are you an IT expert?

I've been doing this stay logged in thang for over 20 years and none of my cookies went south.

15. Jerk The Handle

No, far from IT. But sooner or later you'll have to figure out how you can log in/out normally. Anyway, the forum staff can help you with lost passwords and such. They can't see the passwords but they can reset them.

16. Tim Lookingbill

So you really didn't know anything about what could happen to my third party cookies.

You might think about posting one liners like that in situations like this.

I fixed the problem for now. This Xenforo is pretty simple and straight forward in its security mechanisms as I've just found out. Now I'm wondering when my email account IT dudes are going to get suspicious about me logging in and out just from all the SHF code confirmations and PW changes.

17. Jerk The Handle

Just tried to warn you, considering how grave the situation is. As for the email account, they must have very strict rules about suspicious activities, and that isn't one of them.

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Shilt happens, we can deal with it. :cheers:

19. Tim Lookingbill

You don't know that.

Besides I'm the one that was having problems figuring out how to change passwords within the Xenforo GUI. Out of sight, out of mind for this many years I tend to forget how all this works. I've only had to do this once on a photography forum and that was about 5 years ago.

The red error box didn't stay open long enough and now I'm beginning to think that box didn't really show up at all and was me mistaking it for the blip in the screen after I clicked in the new password and in the confirm entry. I was hoping to get some kind of response instead of a blip. It must've seen the new password and I had erased it to put in a newer one when I didn't get a confirm that it took the first one.

It didn't log me in. Something was going wrong somewhere so it took several tries and email retrievals. Decided to go with "Forgot Password" route and that worked with the 2 step verification enabled confirm code.

Hoping tossing the old SHF cookies and its clickable menu bar and clearing the browser cache helped some but who knows.

20. Jerk The Handle

Have you at least tried to contact the staff/support so they could reset the password? In many sites they are glad to help when they find the time. Well, glad is a relative term.

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I could log in by about 2pm pacific hut site Wasnt loading so I pretty much stayed off. Only just saw this alert!! Too bizarre.

22. Tim Lookingbill

Don't need to because the "Forgot Password" route worked or I wouldn't be able to post here.

23. Jerk The Handle

It's part of the standard Xenforo (version 1.x or higher) package.

24. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Site was only down for a few hours and I was already going through some serious withdrawal symptoms. Sign of a true junkie I guess:)

25. Jerk The Handle

Ah yes, missed that. Good that it worked despite the weirdness before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.