Hal Willner RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Hal, Lou, Rufus, Van Dyke:

[​IMG]

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thank you.

3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

went to high school with hal , we weren't great friends by any means but remember having a few "discussions" about music over lunch in the cafeteria. as a big lou reed fan i knew about his work with lou reed , and other production credits. was not aware of his huge role with SNL. RIP hal.

4. MikaelaArsenault

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

RIP, Hal. Love Stay Awake.

9. MikaelaArsenault

In honor of Hal, I changed my avatar to this:

[​IMG]

10. MikaelaArsenault

11. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

From the Weird Nightmare liners...

"And to all who passed through this...-cough-...nightmare and got old with me, a.k.a. Sue Jacobs and friends.
    WE'LL SELL DOZENS!
    I'll be seeing you,
    Hal Willner
    New York
    1992"

RIP, Mr Willner

12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You were almost guaranteed to have moments you just adored and stuff you never wanted to hear again on any Hal project. He was fearless, truly. His Monk and Weill project are, IMO, his strongest. His song/artist pairings on the Disney one are challenging and often succeed in a major way. My favorites are Todd on Call From The Grave (damn, that guitar), Lou on September Song, Joe Jackson on Round Midnight, Lobos on the Monkey Song, and Buster on Castle in Spain. At the time, when he got Fagen out to do a Monk tune was a real coup. I will miss his style and adventurousness.

ledsox, mjb, ConnieGuitar and 5 others like this.
  13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm the only one who mentionned here this great album produced by Hal Willner. Maybe too European for my fellow American members, but would like to post it for the members here for giving it a try:

It's Gavin Friday's album 'Each Man Kills the Thing He Loves'. Here one of the songs.

14. MikaelaArsenault

And I've been having this on repeat since yesterday:

danasgoodstuff and frightwigwam like this.
  15. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

When my kids were young, they listened to those awful ‘Wee Sing’ cassettes when they were in my wife’s car, and ‘Stay Awake’ while in mine. We all loved that album, but they kind of got spooked by Tom Waits ‘Heigh Ho’. Both grew up to be fans of Waits.

Willner’s albums are the epitome of the word ‘album’ as far as I’m concerned - awesome collections of music put together so artfully.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, if we're putting up samples.......
    This is just perfection of what smokey, atmospheric late night jazz is:

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A great loss to the music world, I was so sad to learn of Hal Willner’s passing today. I had the good fortune to attend one if his Harry Smith Project concerts in Los Angeles. The terrific CD/DVD box set made from those shows in L.A. and New York gets lots of play.

[​IMG]

The Harry Smith Project: Anthology of American Folk Music Revisited

18. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I knew the name from Stay Awake and The Carl Stalling Project(s), I've just come to find out his involvement with SNL. A very talented man. Rest in peace.

19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Night Music/Sunday Night may have been his biggest triumph.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Good call.

21. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

One of my wife's favorites!
    Did not know he produced it!

MikaelaArsenault and Echo like this.
  23. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Really a sad sad news!
    His tribute albums are full of creativity and originality.
    R.I.P.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

And,as mentioned in the John Prine thread,Seth Meyers included Hal and John-both Seth & Jimmy are SNL alumni. One hopes that the mentioning of these guys will find some new ears. Especially Willner,as he was a behind- the- scenes guy.
    I'm reminded in times like these of the final words from Bang The Drum Slowly,the 1973 baseball film that features a young Robert DeNiro. The narrator,Michael Moriarity,upon reflecting on the death of his misunderstood gone-too-soon friend, says: "He wasn't a bad fellow. No worse than most and probably better than some. And not a bad ballplayer,neither,once he they gave him the chance...when they laid off of him long enough. From here on in,I rag nobody." I've borrowed that line in eulogies for two friends who were also the best baseball pals in my life. Both gone too soon and gone over 20 years. These guys were such baseball fans,they got to officiate at a meaningless spring training game. They got to call the stolen base,wild pitch,was it an error decisions for major league players getting ready for real baseball. When I went with them one spring,the radio guys hollered at my friends,welcoming them back for another year,like it wouldn't be complete without them,too. Those ending words seem appropriate for these guys,too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.