Hallmark Channel Christmas Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can't even answer this the way I'd like to...rest it now.

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not bashing. Just commenting on something I never knew about previously.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's probably best, because you're probably not thinking what I am.
    Watching a movie together and hugging each other because it's so dumb...is not the same as celebrating a holiday out of respect for it.

4. Dillydipper

Hold it, waitasecond...one of them has the guy in red? :eek: Major artistic deviation! How did this get past the consultants-!?

Jack Lord likes this.
  5. Michael

uh huh...

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, we obviously like different things, and that is OK. There clearly is an audience for the shows you watch because they continue to be produced. As do shows such as Jerry Springer, Maury Povich, etc. (not saying that you like those, but obviously some people do).
    There are plenty of mean-spirited and demeaning things in real life, and I don't find any enjoyment in watching TV shows of people making idiots out of each other by placing them in embarrassing situations. But that's just me. At Christmastime, I welcome some good natured and good feeling movies, even if they are hokey and you can figure out the plot 5 minutes in. And some of these movies can surprise you and take a twist that was never anticipated. But again, to each their own. It is good that we have a wide choice of what we can watch and enjoy.

Merry Christmas!

San, mmars982 and Vinny123 like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, these movies are so dumb. Now pardon me while I go watch Die Hard again. :)

Shawn and Vinny123 like this.
  9. Vinny123

Merry Christmas buddy. Happy New Year.

dewey02 likes this.
  10. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I actually watch these flicks every so often.

They'll typically have pleasant yet somewhat obscure actresses I like (Merritt Patterson, Cindy Busby, Ali Liebert, Meredith Hagner, et al.) in tight jeans or pencil skirts so I endure the trite template. Big cities are pretty much the worst place to live and only useful for footage of people skating at Rockefeller Center or someplace similar. All the women have important big city jobs but their true passions can only be realized in their small home town. A bicoastal snow job...

11. Dillydipper

This is not comfort food, people....it's nothing you can feel good about sitting through, nothing enriching about knowing how substandard it is and still wasting time on it. There is no excusing reducing yourself to cynically-produced subculture, that brings no mental nutrition to your day, and fortifies you in no way to understand or cope with the world or the people around you that batter you down every day. They are just softening you up to extend your gullible need for emotional softness to the commercial breaks, where you will embrace those similarly-cynical sponsoring corporations with the same lack of critical thought that somehow convinced you it's "fun" to watch "easy" programming because the rest of the entertainment world scares you.

You can pat yourself on the back because you recognize the silliness and common tropes of the genre, and pretend to be aware of some warm perceptions that come from giving yourself over to light-hearted entertainment you don't have to think too much to enjoy. You can sniff indignantly at more people you think cynical because they're not snuggling up on the Broyhill with you while you imagine what it would be like to live in a generic neighborhood in Vancouver and interact with demographically-pleasing head-shot-people right out of Central Casting, but really you are just abdicating your moral responsibility of showing enough strength of character to have the guts to choose between the red pill or the blue pill. This sort of fake dramatic fomula fools you into thinking this is a choice you make, to seal yourself off from the nasty bad mean things in the world because you can no longer recognize the manipulation you allow yourself to buy into. Then you can blame others who try and steer you clear of it because they are mean nasty people and they've got their mean nasty television so why can't you have your sweet, nice television as if this is some false equivalency of ethical selection which will bring you closer to some ideal in your life.

It's the same sort of conclusion that leads you into a lifetime of polarized thinking and cerebral safe havens, never to even consider what a Walk On The Wild Side really means for your emerging awareness of the world and the rewards of empathy. You may think I'm going off on another of Dilly's Ridiculous Tangents TM but this is really the rabbit hole you stand on the precipice of, telling yourself it's okay to cuddle up to the lotus, 'cuz, y'know, it's cuddling.

Maybe you don't believe it, but...you are better than this. And the sake of your world demands that you come to grips with that.

So by all that's holy, back away from the Santa hat; there hasn't really been anything of value in that for you, since it was Capra's.

12. One mans opinion.

mace likes this.
  13. Michael

my favorite Hallmark Christmas Movie Queen...
    Candace Cameron Bure
    [​IMG]

14. Dillydipper

One man's verblization in his own words. Don't think this comes from just one thought process because it comes from my own two hands. That would be naiive.

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

its the Christmas sharknado....hallmark is leaning into ofcourse, its a fine line tho it has to be sweet syrupy goodness and maybe cheesy but not feel purposefully cheesy, then the bubble can pop....but since its once a year I think theyre safe

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Lori Loughlin is in a bunch too, right?

[​IMG]

Both are probably one reason my daughter was so into these. She was a big Full House fan when she was younger.

17. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

I often joke with my wife, (who loves to watch these sugary sweet Hallmark Christmas movies when she has the time), that if you watch 2 of these movies back to back. you'll get diabetes. ;)
    I've seen several of these movies out of the corner of my eye, while sitting with my wife. The premise with these movies is all the same and 5 minutes into the movie you can pretty much figure out the plot. One thing...I can't figure out is why, when the movie is situated in a New England town, they don't use the real name of the town its filmed in, instead of using a fictional name. I've seen this done with movies supposedly taking place in Connecticut and Vermont.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Throwback to perceived simpler times and a nice lead-up to Christmas

19. Color it how you wish.
    Embellish until the cows come home.
    Others may agree with your opinion, making it a popular opinion.
    Still one mans opinion because you are capable of being no more than one man.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Nattering nabobs of negativism. :magoo:

Chance likes this.
  21. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I think you're preaching to the wrong congregation here, friend. Merry Christmas

Michael and mmars982 like this.
  22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Has anyone here seen The Christmas Train? That was a new one last year. I read the book a few years ago and enjoyed it, and wondered if the movie was good.

[​IMG]
    Certainly looks like a good cast.

23. Vinny123

Such anger stemming from my initial post.

24. Dillydipper

Soooo, you think this is the first time I've perceived this, or it came from the top of my head before talking to literally hundreds of people about the subject..?

Do you know how many Christmases I've had these same kinds of conversations with listeners, consultants, ad people and congregation?

If there's anything I've learned about negative responses to this point of view, you can pretty-much narrow it down to one type of viewer...people who can never see the negatives for themselves, while finding it aplenty in others.

25. Michael

that makes sense...I never watched full house.

mmars982 likes this.