Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Watched it last week. Choice of Solo or Deadpool 2. Went with Solo. No great expectations after VII & VIII. Better than expected. No real surprises. Would watch it again. Can't say that about the other Disney flicks except Rogue One. Not fussed about the recasting, of Solo, Calrissian or Chewbacca. They should make a few more in this period. I'd be more interested in that than the main series. Recast all the major players and make a few interesting films. Like Sherlock Holmes, Bond, Doctor Who. This veneration of a bloke or woman picking up a pay check for some work forty years ago is getting old.

Yovra, snowman872 and David Campbell like this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Can we get a CGI/animated Shadows of the Empire film?

Or is that not canon anymore?

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Rogue One and Solo just demonstrate for me again that no matter how much interesting and previously unknown information and detail they fill in, and how well they are (or aren’t) made, there is just something fundamentally lifeless about prequels. The Last Jedi had a number of weak points, but I was far more deeply engaged with it because it was taking the Star Wars story forward. That’s where the energy in storytelling is, not in filling in gaps.

supermd, sunspot42, Song4U and 2 others like this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Technically it isn't canon anymore...but to my knowledge it doesn't actively contradict or override any current canon..so i guess if you want it to be canon it still is.

I loved the "Shadows" game. Countless hours in my teens on the N64 playing through it. That train scene in SOLO gave me legit flashbacks to the train level in that game.

If...and it's a big big if at this point...we get a follow up to SOLO, I'd go crazy for a Dash Rendar cameo. Maybe he could be one of the crew of that "big time gangster " that Beckett referred to.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

L3 reminds me of Dash Rendar's droid co-pilot.

Also, his ship, the Outrider, can be seen in the skies above Mos Eisley, which makes SOTE a strong candidate for recanonization.

marblesmike likes this.
  6. marblesmike

So even though Shadows of the Empire had a LucasArts game it's not canon? Not sure how that works.

I loved that game too. Maybe time to pull it out again, although I remember liking Rogue Squadron much more.

Robert C and David Campbell like this.
  7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

marblesmike likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The First Order counts females and minorities among its troopers and officers. If anything, it was the Galactic Empire that was comprised of just white men, usually with English accents.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
  9. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I'm in the same mindset too.
    After watching Solo - i def liked it more than the last 2 episodes of Star Wars and Rogue One. I got to thinking - why don't they just reboot Star Wars after this next big let down that will be coming out in 2019. Do more adventures with Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie and the gang.
    Of course they would have to be good stories - steer clear of political agenda and the SJW movement stuff. Just make Star Wars fun again.

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It hardly counts females and minorities, and for when it does, that's why I said mostly all, instead of all. The contrast between the bad guys and the good guys is blatantly obvious. As it was also in Rogue One.

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

But why do people have to get hung up on this stuff? This deal of keeping score of how many of this type of race is represented here and there? It's silly - all this outrage and divisiveness. Can't we just enjoy a movie for what it is?

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's the movies that's doing it - the audience observes the political agenda and SJW stuff, and comments on it. That doesn't equate to outrage, certainly not here (though it does for some). But it does appear forced. I wish the movies would get back to just being good stories without all that, but I think it's Kathleen Kennedy pushing the agenda, regardless of whether the audience / fans want it or not.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  13. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Yeah, but are we supposed to not notice stuff that is either clearly meant to be noticed, or if not, that is done in such a blatant way that it is impossible not to notice it?

14. marblesmike

Funny, my dad is definitely very socially liberal and even he said this about TLJ.

Sondek likes this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm left of center myself. And I find it quite unimpressive, for want of a better word.

I don't get angry about it, but I can understand why there's fans who're invested in the Star Wars universe getting angry (though I disagree with the way some of them are behaving - they aren't helping matters). Fans are paying money to escape and enjoy movies, not to have political agendas shoved in their faces. I don't think it's very cool at all.

16. David Campbell

I had both. I loved both but i agree Rogue Squadron was the superior game. I remember the controls on Shadows being wonky.

17. David Campbell

The one constant with both is their disdain for aliens. Don't see many non humanoids in their ranks.

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Okay, but what about the point I made that the evil Galactic Empire was all white men? The Rebel Alliance, meanwhile, was the diverse bunch. You can't ding the Sequel Trilogy for roughly the same representation that the original series got away with.

19. marblesmike

I think it goes both ways. Lucasfilm has mentioned several times that this has been a main objective with their new movies. When they make it about these things then of course some people will get hung up on it.

20. marblesmike

YES! A lot of the early N64 games had this issue until developers figured out how to best use the unconventional N64 controller.

21. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If they were really good captivating stories, no one would care about the race and gender of the characters, IMO.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Not on the level it is now. Look at Rogue One, for example - check out the Blu-ray cover. All the main heroes were diverse (non-white males). The bad guys were white males (Ben Mendelsohn on the bottom right is one of the bad guys, as you probably know). That's the SJW agenda right there.

It seemed forced to me. And I think it does to a lot of other people too. as I said, it doesn't anger me, but I can understand the issues it's creating.

[​IMG]

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What does it say that people look at a cast of non-white and/or non-male actors and think "That looks wrong"? This is what bothers said non-white and non-male people and why they want to be better represented in movies.

supermd, Aggie87, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I seriously never noticed that per se - consciously. Especially being a 9 year old seeing those movies then. Though when I got older I figured George made the Empire's racial makeup like that in a direct parallel to Nazism. So I guess I never had a problem with the Empire being white guys because if the Empire were the Nazis then that's what it was.
    The Rebels could have all sorts of colors to their racial make up since they were a mix of humans and alien creatures from across the galaxy united to defeat the Empire.

In the case of the sequels is that they have a SJW agenda going and I'm not a fan of that. I don't want to be distracted by that political morass - I just want a good story. I don't want agenda and story - just good story that's all. I want to leave the theater saying to myself - it's a good day when the Falcon, Chewie, Han, Luke and the rest show up on the screen.

Song4U and delmonaco like this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Because it's blatantly forced. And that's over-representation of heroes being non-white male.

There's correction, then there's over-correction. The latter is what's happened with Star Wars.

razerx and Rhett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.