Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

My understanding is that discounts only applied to music, not equipment.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've bought equipment there with the discount. Some of their sales are music only so watch carefully.

whaiyun likes this.
  3. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Their current sale only applies to Music but frequently they run sales that apply to equipment as well. (Does not include some brands though).

Spitfire likes this.
  4. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me what the size of the Hana EH?

Also, so these look.a bit like Denon DL pus, are Denon the OEM they produced for?

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think Denon make their own, they don't use an OEM supplier for cartridges.

Kristofferabild and Rolltide like this.
  6. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

According to my Hana EH user manual........Hana don't include the distance from stylus tip to bottom of cart in their dimension for the height of the cart. Instead they just give a dimension of 15.0mm from top to bottom of cart body. Neither do they state the cart's overall length, instead they just give the distance from stylus tip to end of cart pins, which = 23.5mm. They do however, give the dimension for the total width of cart, which = 16.8mm.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

7. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Forgot to quote you in my above reply.

8. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Thanks! =)

9. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Hi Phillip,

I know this is a reply to a long-ago thread, but hope you don't mind the question. I'm looking for a new cart to replace my LO Dynavector 20x. Are there any Hanas that would outclass it?

10. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

For what it's worth, awhile back I clumsily bent the cantilever on my Hana SL. I called one of the big online audiophile retailers thinking I'd bite the bullet and get a new cartridge for somewhere around $2K or so. The dealer told me not to bother. He said he's heard them all and that nothing in that price range was as good as the Hana SL. He told me they had a trade in program. I traded my bent one in and got a new one for about $400 or $500. I've been extremely satisfied with the Hana SL.

11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks so much for telling me this. The more I read and hear about these cartridges, the more I am inclined to make one my next purchase.

12. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I just did that for an EL. I'll let you folks know if it tops my DL-301 MK II, or if I notice IGD. I have a copy of Hasten Down the Wind with a tortuous patch.

mikeburns and Jim in Houston like this.
  13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

The SL version of this cartridge is on my radar as well, as is the new Rega Ania.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'll be interested since I still use the 301.

15. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

It's supposed to arrive Friday; but I'm having shoulder surgery tomorrow. It could be 6 weeks until I am able to mount it! What torture!!!!

16. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I replaced a Denon 301 MkII with a Hana EL. No contest. (The Denon is very nice but the Hana trounces it - especially for dynamics imo).

Jim in Houston, olschl and Shiver like this.
  17. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I'd be curious to know if any Hana users are experiencing any significant static issues since getting the cartridge? I'm about 55hrs in on mine and all of a sudden I am getting some massive, what I assume to be static pops. It comes and goes, seems to be worse with some LPs vs others. The LPs come off the platter quite staticky. Nothing has changed in my rig in the last 5 months and the issue has only popped up in the last 3 weeks. Very odd.

18. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

No static issues or pops on my end. This did happen with my Lenco turntable and it was due to an improper tonearm setup. Maybe something got bumped?

19. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Anything is possible I suppose. I have a few things to investigate (i.e., trying a different preamp) and I should verify the setup as well. I'd be surprised if it changed, but you never know! I'm also very skeptical of the quality of electrical in my condo.

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Didn't Andre Jennings (at The Absolute Sound) do a shoot-out of all four versions of the cartridge? I don't read the magazines any more, but the topic came up on another forum, and either Dre or someone else provided a link. I think he preferred the low output Shibata type for his system. Worth checking. I've talked with Andre about other stuff-- not these cartridges-- he's a pretty specialized engineer by trade, and only does the hi-fi b/c of his interest in it.

olschl likes this.
  21. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I don't see how it could be a problem with your power supply if it is indeed static without a hum. I periodically had static problems with my TT until I got rid of my dust bug, put a vaporizer in my listening room for dry conditions, and grounded the chassis of my TT to the electrical box. I just ran a small wire that I wrapped around a metal part of the chassis (something with continuity regarding the spindle or metal platter would be best) to the screw holding the cover on the nearest outlet box. I do have a few new LPs that make a sound like static in the same spot every time I play them. I've read that static discharges actually leave pits in the vinyl. (But then I've read a lot of stuff that is horse s#!t) Is it this or just poor LP manufacturing QC? I don't know.

22. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Everything seems grounded properly. I'm showing continuity between all parts of the TT to the ground lug on my phono stage, and then to all the other ground points in the system. I guess it is possible the wiring in my condo is not properly grounded.

Its just very strange that this starting happening only recently when I've had 50h of blissful playback prior to the issue. Perhaps its something in the phono stage going sour. Hoping to swap it out soon to see what happens.

23. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Are the headshell leads firmly attached? I've had them break when changing cartridges. I promise. No more suggestions after this. ;^)

24. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

No headshell, but I did inspect the leads attached to the cartridge and even went as far as reseating them to no avail. Your suggestions are appreciated :)

25. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Someone did have problems with static and his Hanna. He replaced his Chinook with a JC3+ and he said the problems disappeared.

Here it is.
    Manley Chinook problems, Part II: Chinook's Revenge