Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Benz Glider here, which I loved and investigated having retipped, but instead got the Hana, which has exceeded all expectations. I like it even more than the Glider.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  2. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Went to the Hana SH from a Dynavector 20xH. I continue to be very pleased with the change. While tonally I find them similar (perhaps the Hana has a bit more detail, but it's hard for me to remember) in terms of imaging and sound stage I found the Hana to be a real nice upgrade.

WapatoWolf and Helom like this.
  3. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Came from an AT440mlb to the SL and it was a big change. Not as bright as the AT (yay!) but has more detail, gets less jumbled when there’s multiple instruments. It’s my first mc cart and I am impressed.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  4. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

Ok, so I'm currently running a P5 with GT subplatter and delrin platter, lim dual pulley thing, tt-psu, blah blah blah... and a Nagaoka MP200
    Croft Phono Integrated into LS50's.

Thinking about an upgrade to the Hana SH... but getting a little bit sticker shocked.
    Having some issues with the Nagaoka that i'm not sure if they are stylus wear or just bad setup (and i'm working on the setup... specifically alignment). But getting a fair amount of IGD on more difficult records, and playback on records that are a little worn is fairly unpleasing. It may be that some of those records are just ruined, who knows... crapshoot when you buy used, as you know.

So will going to the fancier shibata stylus help alleviate these issues or exacerbate them?

Also, talking about the HOMC version due to my preamp, versus also having to acquire a SUT.

It's not likely that I'll be changing that other gear anytime soon.

thoughts?

WapatoWolf likes this.
  5. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Although I'm sure the SH would thrill you right out of the gate, you should be aware that advanced stylus shapes such as these really benefit from as precise a setup as possible. That is, fine tuning VTA and azimuth, as well as nailing the alignment, etc. Unfortunately the Rega arms do not make provisions for fine-tuning VTA or azimuth. I have an Audiomods arm, which is based on the RB303 arm tube, but adds a micrometer adjustment for VTA -- but still no azimuth adjustments. I did spend considerable time taking measurements with a test LP while shimming the cartridge to dial in the azimuth which helped with the cartridge performance. It was pretty tedious work though.

Anyway, it might not be necessary for you as these differences are subtle and perhaps you wouldn't notice on your rig or in your room (not implying that's a bad thing). But keep in mind that these kinds of carts can really benefit from fine tuning.

displayname likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Which Hana?

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Are you trying to use Baerwald alignment with your Rega? If so, that's likely the problem.

8. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Bought the Hana SH with a new VPI Prime at the same time. Cant fairly compare with what I had prior since I was running a DD table with a Denon DL160. I am currently using the same integrated for now however. What I can tell you about the SH is this, it's worth every penny. It's an amazing cart that benefits from cable rolling and fastidious setup. It also requires a good 50-60hr break in period to settle and do it's thing. What I like is it has a very detailed high end with no listening fatigue, clear see through midrange and lower mids and the lows are powerful and deep like you wouldn't believe without any trace of bloat or overhang. I'm noticing more and more recordings I've been long familiar with that the drummers were really pummeling their kits with force and attitude. That's something that I've never took much notice of outside of live performances or my own Bonham-esque drum bashing. The full weight and force of a performance are heard much better than I have been used to in the last 40 years of vinyl spinning. Now, a lot of this is the Primes doing I'm sure, but still the cartridge is pulling it's weight 100%.

Till yesterday I've used the same homebrew record cleaning fluid for my Record Dr. II. Nevermind what the concoction was but I've noticed that some records still had a lot of annoying ticks at the bottom of the groove that the Hana was having to deal with. My hope was a better fluid along with a fresh set of vacuum strips might help alleviate the noise issue. To that end I ordered the new TM-8 Super Record Cleaning Fluid and it and the new strips came in yesterday. Felt strips installed I scrubbed and vacuumed using the TM-8 and played a record that a day before I'd all but given up as a lost cause. The new fluid is magic is all I can say because that record was quieter, more details poured forth and the tics and other groove noise was lowered a good 90%. I've since cleaned and played through six more records and the results have been the same and I'm beyond ecstatic (ex-static!!). I'm finally able to appreciate as never before what all the $$$ for the turntable and Hana SH are doing. Cant recommend that fluid highly enough.

Helom likes this.
  9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

SH, on my Origin Live arm and LP12 table.
    Like the combination a lot.

WapatoWolf and Helom like this.
  10. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

so the current alignment was done at my local shop (was jim fuller when he was still at goodwin's in waltham)
    hasn't really been touched since then.
    i believe i have 3mm spacers on the arm.

i just purchased the mintlp protractor and received it the other day, still looking at the instructions on how to use it. was thinking i'd learn it with the MP200 and either that's that or then apply what i've hopefully learned to a new cart like the hana.

11. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Baerwald didn't quite cut it on my Planar2 when I was using a Sumiko Blue Point. However the Baerwald worked reasonably decent with my first DL160 on that table. No IGD anyhow. You might be right that there's a better solution for Rega's.

displayname likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Many carts can't reach true Baerwald with Rega arms. My arm uses Rega geometry and I have much better luck with Stevenson - mitigates IGD and I can't hear a detriment to the rest of the disc.

Benzion likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

My local dealer likes the EL almost as much as the SL. He said it's also a killer value. I suppose that means something coming from someone who regularly sets up Koetsus and Lyras. He convinced me to try an EL. I hope to get around to installing it tomorrow.

I also noticed that Gene Rubin Audio (not my dealer) is currently offering a trade in discount on the Hanas - any cartridge in any condition.

14. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

I started to look more at the alignment process with the mint protractor that i bought. i think it's going to take me 6 months to figure it out!

15. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Are there any measurements in the reviews of these Hana carts around? Have looked around but not been able to find any except frequency response measurements. They look good, but I was thinking distortion, channel balance and crosstalk which I find very important measures when it comes to cartridges.

16. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

FYI there's a couple good step-by-step tutorials with some good tips in the forum links posted on the Mint website under "testimonials" or something. They aren't labelled as guides as such but take a look through the links and you should find it. Helped me a lot.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    kenrothman likes this.
  17. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Just got a Hana EH mounted on my Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon today. Dipping my toe as tentatively as possible into the MC waters.

I found basic stats on this cartridge here:

Hana EH | Phono Cartridge - HIFIPRO

18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I 've been using a Hana EH with my Pro-ject 2Xperience/ 9cc arm for the last 6 months, and a very nice sounding combination it is to. I believe the RPM5 carbon has the later Evolution arm but it's very similar to the 9cc so the Hana should perform pretty much the same. The 9cc doesn't have the appropriate counterweight to balance the Hana though, so I used a 1.5 gram headshell weight. Hope you enjoy the Hana EH as much as I do.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    DocBrown and Madlove like this.
  19. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Looking for things to enjoy while my new cartridge breaks in. I noticed right away how much better percussion sounds with a MC. There is a real difference between how hard (and perpendicular) each note is struck that tends to become a muddy mess with MM cartridges. So what better than Jon Hassell and Brian Eno? ("Fourth World Volume 1: Possible Musics"; GlitterBeat GBLP 019) The handclaps in "Griot" are positively amazing. You can almost differentiate the shapes of the three performers' hands, and tell who has the roughest skin. Similarly, with the wind instruments in "Rising Thermal", the breathing of the performer is a separate entity from the vibration of the reed. I almost wish I'd spent a few more dollars and got the Shibata stylus rather than the elliptical (and after another thousand or so hours, I will). Anyway, ten hours in, I'm thoroughly convinced of the musicality of this cartridge.

I was surprised to find that the same counterweight (28 grams, the lightest of four supplied with the tonearm) was JUST able to set for the 5 gram Hana, without adding the supplied headshell weight. I can't think of any advantage to adding mass to the tonearm, so I'll enjoy it as is and count myself lucky.

Davey likes this.
  20. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

That is a great record, one of my favorites, nice descriptions.

21. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

A Denon DL-301 mkII was my daily player when I got the SL. Although I still like the Denon very much (it's sweeter and warmer) The Hana is more incisive and has much more air between the instruments. It seems to extend further on both ends as well. Using a test record and electrostatic headphones I can hear up to 14 kHz in both channels. With the Denon I only get to 12 kHz in my left ear. Bass bottoms out at 40 Hz on both; but is noticeably louder with the Denon, surprisingly.
    Was it worth spending $749 for the improvement? I'm not sure. But I've stopped window shopping for cartridges and that says a lot. My TT is an Oracle Alexandria III with a Sumiko Premier MMT. Currently I have the Hana in a Yamamoto HS-4 carbon fiber headshell.

22. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

That's surprised me to... you would think the Hana would comfortably fit within that range of counterweights. Just the one counterweight was supplied with my table, which did come close to balancing the 9cc arm. I did try to find a suitable replacement, but to no avail.

23. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Rega arms in conjunction with Rega carts ensure a "quasi-Stevenson" alignment, by default. It's probably best to shoot for a Stevenson alignment even with a non-Rega cartridge on a Rega arm.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

My table has the same spindle to pivot distance as a Rega. It came supplied with a rather nice Dennison style protractor. I believe it likely mimics Rega alignment as it's definitely not Stevenson or Baerwald. Regardless, it's the alignment that yields the best sound in my listening tests.

25. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

I'm having a little bit of sticker shock on the SH and wondering if I'll be more than happy with the EH with my rig. (P5 with upgrades).
    ugh.

olschl and Pythonman like this.