Hana M Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by liptrot, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the new Hana M series cartridges or seen any reviews?? Interested in the Low Output but haven't really seen any feedback on these yet. Hoping to get to a dealer before xmas for a listen.

2. Eaglesfan9

Eaglesfan9 Forum Resident

I have the ML low output with about 20 hours on it so far. It replaced a Koetsu black that I had for about 15 years (including a rebuild in that time). So far it sounds more than decent. Better soundstage than the Koetsu. Midrange very smooth. Not sure that I am qualified to comment on where the top end is going to go yet but the bass is tighter than the Koetsu.
    Music played is mostly Rock oriented both Electric and Acoustic. Very sorry I can’t be much more specific right now.
    Based on my schedule I won’t hear it at it’s best until 2019.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  3. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

It is 2019 any updates on the ML?:winkgrin:

Jim in Houston and jawaka1000 like this.
  4. Eaglesfan9

We went on a long road trip in December so not too many hours on the ML.
    I do think that the soundstage is getting bigger (wider and more sounds coming from different heights - does that make sense?).
    The bass is about the same in amount but somehow sounds more real than it did out of the box. The top end is improving in that there are now very few records/songs with the dreaded ssssss.
    I will give a proper report in another month for sure.

5. tategoi

tategoi Member

It’s been more than a month :wave:

6. Eaglesfan9

OK I have now put 75 hours or so on the Hana ML. Without trying to put in an “audiophile” style review I can say that everything that I liked about the cartridge out of the box has become better and better. Hopefully this continues through 100 hours which my dealer describes as the full burn in.
    I can only tell you that (in my view only of course) the Hana has superior (better sounding) bass, more controlled top end and a glorious midrange when compared to my only other 2 cartridges being the Koetsu Black and the Shelter 501MK 2.
    That is considerable praise when the Koetsu is a “midrange master” to many people. There is now no hardness at the top end and voices sound very natural indeed. I’m sure you could get more bass but bear in mind my speakers are Quad 2905s so Bass response is not that important to me as a listener.
    “Fully recommended” as the pro reviewers might say.

IGD Positive and Jim in Houston like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Vanishing Twin ~ Life Drummer (2024)

Low hours Hana ML on Canuck Audio Mart today for around $630 USD ... probably be gone quick, if not already ...

Hana ML - mint!!

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  8. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

If I lived in the new continent I would jump on it

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Just breaking in a new ML. It is indeed a winner at its price point. I second everything Eaglesfan says about it.

John K

10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

It'll need about 100 hours to hear the final sound of the cart based on my experience with an SH and really, all other carts too.

11. Aflatfry

Aflatfry Well-Known Member

I've had the Hana MH since November, 2018 and am loving it. I must say that it has reinvigorated my love for the hobby. Though, I did not realize that there would be a domino effect...new tubes in the phono stage, new tubes for the line stage, replaced SS Bryston amp with VTL stereo tube amp... Each and every change was more revealing than the last. The system was Nottingham space deck with Benz Micro glider, VTL pre, Bryston Amp, Hot Rod Shearwater speakers. When the system was assembled, it was exactly what I was looking for. But the Hana came along and blew me away. Truly a cut above. Strongly recommended!

Andy Saunders and Golfhead like this.
  12. Golfhead

Golfhead Forum Resident

I just noticed this thread and wanted to add my experience with Hana MH. Using it on a VPI Scout through a Tavish Design tubed preamp I have been very pleased with the sound on mainly jazz and rock. Have about 80 hours on it so far and find it to be detailed yet smooth with a wide soundstage and excellent imaging. Coming from an Ortofon 2M Black a major improvement in refinement and in much lower surface noise on used records. I plan to stick with this one for a long while!

displayname and Andy Saunders like this.
  13. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Golfhead

@Aflatfry

Super, hopefully getting an ML Wednesday and have it up and running by Friday ( please God.)

May l ask if you have found the cartridge sound forward at all?:)

displayname likes this.
  14. Golfhead

Golfhead Forum Resident

I would not characterize the sound as forward. I find it in my system to be well balanced and smoothly detailed.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  15. Aflatfry

Aflatfry Well-Known Member

just noticed that the thread continues...
    The presentation is very balanced across all genres. I revisited the music I grew up on: hard rock, funk, fusion, soul and classical and didn't feel that I was missing out on anything. On the other hand, my previous cartridge, the benz micro glider, was a little laid back by comparison.
    Funny thing though - - I picked up a billie holiday record and was captivated. This to re-discovering the female vocalists in the collection as well as purchasing many more. Female vocals are a strong point. The big question: what to do when it starts to wear...retip, replace with the same unit or try something different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.