Hana SL cured my Rega Ania blues.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Not really, I'm sorry to say.

The Rega guy was doing his best to talk-up the positives without criticising other peoples LPs/choices (even his own selection displayed some edginess & this was an all-Rega setup). Typical British responses from the rest of us - a few shrugs, sideways glances or polite coughs - perish the embarrassment of actual negative comments!

My mate & I left without saying anything. We still like Rega turntables themselves but decided this cartridge isn't to our tastes.

2. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Typical indeed! Funny.

I think I'm going to a P8 launch event/demo - will be interesting to see how it goes.

3. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Another user found 3.5mm to be a sweet spot for their Rega with the Hana -- I already had a 2mm Rega three point shim then added three 1.4mm washers, getting me to 3.4mm shim height on the P2. I set my VTF to 2.05 grams and aligned with the Rega Baerwald protractor from Vinyl Engine. Immediately tracked beautifully and was dead quiet -- all with minimal fuss, particularly for a shibata. I could probably take a closer look at whether I could reduce IGD a tad, but it's minimal right now and I'm enjoying the music too much.

rischa likes this.
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

But I thought you blokes across the pond stand up and shout "rubbish" at meetings. :winkgrin:

5. Give us some feedback after your visit to the demo,,,,,,,,please

Shiver likes this.
  6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Not me, I spend almost half the year 'your' side of the pond not too far away (second home in Santa Barbara).

7. Erik Tracy

Oh - my son goes to UCSB.

8. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Well, there we are - I can be a 'rubbish' neighbour to your son!

rischa likes this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have been trying one out on an RP8 here and it is sounding very good. It isn't the finest at any one aspect but is a great all-round performer. Many cartridges will have one really strong ability and a few shortcomings, and another may be acceptable in most areas but be less capable in another. The thing that stands out most after my listens to the Rega Ania is that nothing stands out. It is very well balanced and doesn't do anything wrong. While I have used cartridges that are $1000+ and even $2000+ on these same tables, and those cartridges did have superior imaging or dynamics or fine HF performance, I really can't find fault with the Ania in any one area. It just does an outstanding job of not getting in the way and thus allowing the delivery to be about the music rather than the gear.
    -Bill

10. Erik Tracy

In SB, from the houses I saw, you guys live large. :D

Bananas&blow and Drewan77 like this.
  11. I had an Exact on my RP 8 and then upgraded to an Ania and an Aria stage. There was an issue with the Ania and a channel just cur out. Rega will replace it with a new one. However I did feel it was more edgy than my Exact, so I am now considering switching over to a Hana. Even though the Exact sounds really good, I like the totally silence of an MC cart with the Aria stage. The Ania wasn't just right with my B&W speakers and somewhat brighter room.

So my dealer will come over and try a couple out. I know these carts need some break in time, but I am considering the Hana SL or the brand new Hana ML. Looking for a richer smother sound.

I know the ML is too new for any comments here, but that's where I am now.

Any more Hana comments appreciated.

Jim in Houston and rischa like this.
  12. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I'm hoping to hear the ML next week so if no other feedback is available before then, I can give some.

WapatoWolf and Mazzy like this.
  13. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I can't speak to current cartridge technology having been out of LP play back for so long.
    I can say that in late 1979 I bought a Denon DD table & 303 MC cartridge after listening to MM v MC.
    Prior to that I had a B&O table, prior to my 1st TT Shure MM & Dual1219.

I know it has been eons but MC carts by design are killer for silence & detail, imo.

14. John Brunatti

John Brunatti Forum Resident

I recently purchased a Rega P6 that had a Hana SH cartridge installed when new. The dealer said that the first P6s came without cartridges and the buyer opted for the Hana. It is a great cartridge on a great table. The dealer's opinion is that the Hana has the edge over the Ania and an overwhelming edge over the Exact.

WapatoWolf, McLover and rischa like this.
  15. Cool but I don't think edge is a good word to use as the Ania is edgy on some systems. Edgy is not a positive word in this case. :tiphat:.

rischa likes this.
  16. John Brunatti

You do know that "edge" in this context means slightly better and not a reference to sound quality.

17. Yes Of course I do.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

spacers?

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Good move. Make sure you get the appropriate spacers installed. Seriously consider the Audio Technica ART9. An amazing sounding sub $1K cartridge.

21. I have a local turntable cart wizard who lives near me and comes by to set me up.

22. John Brunatti

Honestly no idea....I bought the turntable from a friend who purchased it from a reputable dealer. I know that if it was necessary the dealer would have definitely installed.

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Did you experiment at all with the loading on your Aria phono stage? If the cart was a bit bright and edgy...perhaps a change in the loading could have dialed it in better?

The dip switches on the back of your Aria should have been set like this, or it would have sounded too bright. Might be worth checking out before moving on from the Rega synergy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    chacha likes this.
  24. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Hey Mazzy, have you swapped carts on your RP8 yet, and if so, what did you get? we have similar setups, B&W CM10S2 here, and thinking of an RP8 upgrade. Running an RP3 with Hana EH, and i have a SimAudio Moon Neo 310LP phonostage. Its tempting that I can get an Ania for no cost thanks to Amazon points.

25. No still have the Exact on and it sounds great. Will probably try the new Hana M cart sometime soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.