Hana sl = Fantastic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tablet Man, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I will probably trade-in my SL for an ML through Hana's trade-up program at some point....no hurry but the stylus alone would have to be worth it.

2. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

I just upgraded the stock head with AT OFC wires.... will use it with he MP200 later.

At the same time I also ordered silver wires for the Yamamoto HS4. The stock wires are so thin.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  3. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

Ok now I am a happy man, just update my setup.

change the Mani out and in with Rega MC for Hana EL.... woohoo, clean bass, nice mid and fantastic sonic at the upper end.

what a revelation after weeks of tweaking. :agree:

Andy Saunders and myles like this.
  4. JohnnyCanuck

JohnnyCanuck New Member

Im running the same setup also. What do you set your fono mc to?

5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Is there any consensus on the lifespan of an SL stylus? Mine has about 500-600 hours on it, which for most other carts would be fine, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe even on this thread), that Hana SL styli wear out relatively fast.

6. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

I've only recently tried the EL. It's a nice sounding cartridge but it's lacking in clarity and treble extension. It's also a bit too fruity in the bass. Enjoyable nonetheless but it's a long way from the likes of the AT-OC9 to my ears. I've tried all viable settings to see if I can liven it up a bit, but I just don't think it's there to bring out. It reminds me of an MM cart in terms of the rolled off treble and lack of fine detail. Tracking is decent but not in the same league as the OC9 either.

7. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I listened to the ML and it sure is a great listen....but I went with a straight replacement for my XX2. Maybe I'll change things up next time!

I hadn't realised how much I needed to change out my old cartridge/stylus - the sound coming from the new XX2 paired with the Roksan Xerxes is absolutely brilliant.

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Hana SL is a very good cartridge at a great price. I bought a Pro-Ject Classic SB table for my office. It came with a Blue Point #2. It was not at all to my liking. I replaced it with the SL, twenty five years ago this would have been the darling of audiophiles.
    It simply does nothing offensive while retrieving details.

rischa and chili555 like this.
  9. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

So I’m thinking about giving either the SL or ML a shot on my P6. Can anyone speak to the proper shimming height for them on a Rega table?

10. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

I have the SL on my P6 and after initially playing around with Acoustic Signature spacer kit I honestly found the best sound with no shims at all. But I also have a 2mm Herbies mat which I think is 1mm thinner than the stock felt.

11. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

ok, good to hear...I'm debating between Hana SL and Dyna 20x2 and Cadenza Red for my VPI Prime scout paired with my McIntosh C2500 tube pre and Mc402 SS amp...thoughts?

12. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

Thanks man, good to know!

13. blakep

blakep Senior Member

The HS4 is an unbelievably good headshell and a bargain around $100 U.S.
    A big upgrade over most headshells providing the weight is suitable for your
    tonearm/cartridge combination. Major improvements vs. the stock Jelco
    headshell also, which is no slouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.