Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Rolling Stone: Hank Williams' Radio Recordings Compiled in Massive New Box Set

Early in 2020, country-music legend Hank Williams will be the subject of a six-CD collection which gathers a series of 144 performances from radio shows he hosted nearly 70 years ago. Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings represents the complete rundown of Williams’ performances 15-minute broadcasts of a radio show he began hosting at WSM studios in 1951. The set, which will be released February 7th, was produced by Cheryl Pawelski, with each track restored and remastered from existing transcription discs by Michael Graves. In 2015, the pair earned a Best Historical Album Grammy for their work on a previous Williams compilation, The Garden Spot Programs, 1950.

Question: Is this the same songs as the Mother's Best Recordings release from Time Life? (hated the way that was packaged)

EDIT: From the article: While the recordings of these radio shows, which also featured other vocalists and the performance of instrumental tunes, have been packaged and released previously in various forms, this new set marks the first time the entirety of Williams’ Mother’s Best performances have been collected as a standalone compilation, shining a spotlight on Williams outside the context of the full radio-show and presenting an invaluable opportunity to experience the charisma, sincerity and singular talent that was Hank Williams.

2. PDMan

PDMan Forum Resident

I thought the big box set that looked like an antique radio contained all the Mother's Best recordings?

melstapler, Muzyck and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Kevin55

[​IMG]
    This says 144 recordings - the antique radio had 143. But it appears to be the same recordings remastered (?) and repackaged.

Perhaps without the chatter?

4. PDMan

PDMan Forum Resident

Could be. And the commercials.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

So, in short, you could make your own version of this collection if you make a playlist or burned CDs from the Time-Life set?

I’ll probably end up getting this, but it’s hard to imagine that there’s much sonic upgrade, since the Time-Life set already sounded great. It feels like double-dipping, but nobody’s forcing me to buy it, I suppose. For Hank I’m willing to allow myself to be hornswoggled a bit.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Kevin55

I guess you could. Maybe the book has some added value. Depends on the price.

melstapler and munjeet like this.
  7. Kevin55

Here's a link to the order page. There's also a 3xLP Vinyl release
    $99.00 for the box and $35.99 for the Vinyl set.
    Shop the Hank Williams Online Store | Official Music

The first-ever large format hardbound photo / coffee table book dedicated to the life and career of country music icon Hank Williams, carefully curated and assembled with leading music historian and Hank biographer Colin Escott.

• Features over 200 images of Hank, including dozens of rare and unseen photos. Though Hank has been gone since 1953, we’ve still managed to unearth unpublished photographs of the celebrated singer/songwriter in his prime.

• A true hybrid project, the book is packaged with six CDs of Hank’s live in-studio performances known as the “Mother’s Best” radio shows, newly restored and remastered to sound better than ever.

Pre-Order before Jan 17th and get a Free Hank Williams 7’’ vinyl. This features Hanks 1st ever recordings pressed on a red 7’’ vinyl. Order now while supplies last.

8. Kevin55

Hank Williams – Only Mother’s Best 3xLP (180g Black)

• 3xLP Set featuring the best of Hank’s Mother’s Best Radio Transcription

• Includes “Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain”, “I’ll Fly Away”, “Have I Told You Lately That I Love You”, “When The Saints Go Marching In” & more

• Produced by Grammy Award Winning Hank Williams Team – Cheryl Pawelski & Michael Graves

• New liner notes from Grammy Award Winner and Hank Williams expert Colin Escott

Pre-Order before Jan 17th and get a Free Hank Williams 7’’ vinyl. This features Hanks 1st ever recordings pressed on a red 7’’ vinyl. Order now while supplies last.

Matthew Tate and munjeet like this.
  9. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Colin Escott has always done right by Hank, so I’ll gladly support this product. The price on the 3 LP set sounds like a bargain, but the book only comes with the CD set, if I’m reading correctly.

10. Kevin55

That's what I read too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast

I'm so excited about this!

melstapler likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I'll get it if The Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Darn it!

I'll end up buying it largely because of the book, also the chances are with Cheryl Pawelski involved, it'll probably have better mastering than the time life sets which are not bad but they are a little harsh to my ears.

Edit... I also only have the two smaller 3 disc "Timelife" sets so it'll give me an extra 40 tracks, I just hope most of them are NOT duets with Audrey!

14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

When, oh when, are they going to issue a set that features ONLY the duets with Miss Audrey, collected in a stand-alone compilation for the first time?

Someday, it’ll happen. If the Lord’s a-willin’ and the creek don’t rise.

The Killer, Matthew Tate and hodgo like this.
  15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

:cop: :yikes: :help:

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

$99? Glad I got that repackage version for $21 (after taxes and shipping) when Amazon marked it down temporarily.

The Beave and melstapler like this.
  17. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I have two of those 3 disc Time-Life comps and have listened to them regularly over the years. Essential music.
    I also have the big box set in digital so i don't think this is something I can justify buying except for unpublished photos of Hank? That's exciting stuff right there.

hodgo likes this.
  18. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

Hi folks, the audio upgrade on all these projects is substantial. For all of the Hank projects we're working on, we've gone back or are going back to the original sources (when available) or original transfers (where degradation has occurred). The book is magnificent. The 3LP distills all the tracks that only ever appeared on the Mother's Best recordings - no other studio or live versions exist by Hank. So far we've worked on the first 1938 recordings (Record Store Day/Black Friday 7") Hank Williams - The First Recordings, 1938 , the Health & Happiness Shows 2CD/3LP Hank Williams - The Complete Health & Happiness Recordings , this coming Record Store Day/Black Friday RSDBF '19 Special Release: Hank Williams - The 1940 Recordings , besides The Garden Spot Programs, 1950 10" and LP/CD

We'll keep going - more to come!

19. Is the CD box set sold exclusively at the shop hank site or will Amazon and the others usually sites have it too?

@izaboo

melstapler likes this.
  20. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

Others will have it too.

21. :tiphat:

22. kzm007

kzm007 Active Member

Hiya,

Finally joined the site :)

Just to clarify, the only upgrades here are new remasters and the book? If I buy the older MBF box set from Time Life, I'd have the radio shows in their entirety?

Also, is there a good resource to help me wade through all of the various releases? I'm trying to collect anything and everything Williams, but the editions greatly confuse me.

Somewhere or other, I have:

Alone With His Guitar
    Luke the Drifter
    The Complete Hank Williams
    Mother's Best Flour (digital)
    The Garden Spot recordings
    A 3CD edition of the Health & Happiness Shows

What else should I pick up so as to maximize COMPLETENESS and minimize DUPLICATES? I'd also be interested in video performances when available.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

PS - I'm also looking for a good solution for easily storing digipak CDs, which don't play nice in my zippered CD storage tote made for jewel case CDs. I'm thinking here of the GS issue, and I see a H&H issue listed at Bear Family.

Best,

Kegan

23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I have the reissue of this material that's maybe 10 CDs or so. Maybe my reading comprehension is off, but besides the book (which sounds great) is there anything new here besides remastering?

melstapler, Matthew Tate and kzm007 like this.
  24. Welcome aboard. :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Welcome!!!!!!!!
    :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.