Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

BFX 15346
    According to Richard Weize, "maybe one of the all-time worst sellers from our entire catalog..."

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Anybody else have the same issue with Disc 3 as me and another have mentioned?

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Wowzers, might buy one for the mother in law.

hodgo likes this.
  4. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Vinyl Album

Artist: Audrey Williams
    Title: Ramblin' Gal
    Label: [​IMG] Bear Family
    Catalogue: BFX 15346
    Date: 1988
    Format: LP
    Collection: I Own It I Want It
    Community: 1 Owns
    Price: Valuation Page
    » Search on eBay » Search on Amazon
    [​IMG]

Track Artist Title Composer Rating
    A1 Audrey Williams Who Put The Pep In Grandma Jethro Burns, Mel Foree Rate
    A2 Audrey Williams I Like That Kind Audrey Williams Rate
    A3 Audrey Williams My Tight Wad Daddy Audrey Williams Rate
    A4 Audrey Williams Model "T" Love Audrey Williams Rate
    A5 Audrey Williams Don't Be Too Quick To Judge Audrey Williams Rate
    A6 Audrey Williams How Can You Refuse Him Now Hank Williams Rate
    B1 Audrey Williams Honky Tonkin' Hank Williams Rate
    B2 Audrey Williams I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know Cecil B. Null Rate
    B3 Audrey Williams Slowly You Taught Me Webb Pierce Rate
    B4 Audrey Williams Help Me Understand Hank Williams Rate
    B5 Audrey Williams Ramblin' Gal Hank Williams, Audrey Williams Rate
    B6 Audrey Williams To My Pal - Bocephus Hank Williams Rate

Electric Sydney likes this.
  5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Both of these descriptions are correct, in that, the new set definitely has more bottom end than the Time Life sets have. I also agree with member Boswell that a little too much noise reduction has been applied, the air around the songs has been taken away, resulting in the natural "Radio Sound" of the previous sets having gone, this in my mind sort of defeats the object.

Content wise the set is top notch and in my opinion, this should have sat alongside the full shows and been released in place of the two smaller 3 disc Time Life sets. Both the book and musical content are outstanding, with excellent liner notes, beautiful pictures and fabulous songs and performances.

To sum up, the presentation of this is fabulous, however, sonically, what it gives with one hand it takes away with another, that said, despite the slighty over the top NR this is still a highly enjoyable listening experience .

Content and Presentation wise I give it 10 out of 10.

Soundwise, due to the noise reduction it loses some points and I can only give it 7 out of 10.

6. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I had to stop listening by the second CD as it just isn't exciting me.
    I was listening to a digital copy, btw, and will not purchase the set altho' if money and opportunity allow I will be looking for the book in the future.

the air around the songs has been taken away

That's it, great explanation of what I'm experiencing aurally.

Electric Sydney and hodgo like this.
  7. hodgo

Brian Mc likes this.
  8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Bullmoose wanted me to send the entire box back. Instead I e-mailed someone at BMG and got this nice reply:

"I am so sorry to hear about the issue you had with disc 3 of our Hank Williams box set. I’m totally happy to send you a new disc 3 to replace it. Would you be able to send me best mailing address?

Again, apologies for this issue and thank you so much for your support of Mr. Williams’ music and legacy."

They didn't even ask for proof of purchase.

9. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

This set looks beautiful. After sampling it on youtube, I'm in.

10. hodgo

It is indeed a beautiful set, be aware however, that is slightly let down by the overuse of NR.

The Beave and Brian Mc like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

NR...?....yuck

Mr. H likes this.
  12. hodgo

Yes, as discussed above and quoted below there has definitely been too much NR applied......

Brian Mc likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats too bad. Not a positive improvement. Never is.

Mr. H and hodgo like this.
  14. hodgo

I agree, it's such shame really because out all the releases of these performances, including the 15 disc set containing the full shows and the two smaller 3 disc sets, this one from a content perspective is for my money the best and most essential of the lot.

Both this and the previous Timelife sets are sonically flawed, the former with too much NR, the latter is too harsh and lacking in bottom end.

mpayan likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

All this talk about sound comparisons.

Many of the few people who had the complete Mother's Best recordings for years before the official issue say that the raw circulating unofficial version sounded better. I agree.

56strat, hodgo and Brian Mc like this.
  16. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Why release a good sounding set when you can just remaster and reissue a different multi disc set that sounds like **** every 10 years?

hodgo likes this.
  17. hodgo

I wholeheartedly concur! From what I've heard of the untouched recordings they are much better in every way.

Sadly there's a lot of truth in this, I wish there wasn't but there you go.

Mr. H likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

despite what some have said about the sound quality, and despite having all of the variants of the Mother's Best tapes (including having the original transfers for about 20 years), I ordered the new set.

If nothing else, I will enjoy playing the new set at home and in the car.

It is Hank Williams, after all.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

fyi

I also have the Japanese vinyl boxset and the Japanese CD set of the MGM recordings, along with many 78s, EPs, 45s, early LPs.

As long as there is no "Jr." or "III", I am into Hank.

hodgo likes this.
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

'Nuff said!

hodgo likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't remember all of these posts, but I recall a fair amount of grumbling about this set.

The set does include a major book, which is just about the value of the entire set, making the CDs almost like a bonus.

Here is the book description from Rolling Stone magazine:

In addition to the thoroughly compelling recordings, the CDs are packaged in a slipcase and accompanied by a 272-page hardbound book loaded with photographs chronicling the musician’s life and career. Featuring many previously unseen images – including some exceptionally rare color slides – from a variety of sources, including Williams’ fellow Hall of Fame members Hank Thompson and Little Jimmy Dickens, the book was assembled by Grammy-winning Williams scholar Colin Escott with the assistance of Grammy nominee Scott B. Bomar and Williams photo collector Ken Campanile. A plethora of professional publicity stills as well as candid personal photos featuring some of his fellow Opry stars are also included in the fascinating book, which also sheds light for the first time on details of a mystery woman in a photo of the two having dinner at New York’s Copacabana in 1951. A poignant foreword to the book of photos was contributed by Hank’s daughter, Jett Williams.

Mychael and hodgo like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If that book did not include the CDs, I would probably pay the same price as the whole set ($65 for me)

baptistbusman, Mychael and hodgo like this.
  23. hodgo

I agree, the book is outstanding and definitely worth the cost of the set alone. I've spent a few days with the set now, whilst the NR is a little annoying this is still a highly enjoyable listening experience, it's just pure Hank without the distraction of the instrumentals, I for one prefer that aspect.

The Beave, baptistbusman and munjeet like this.
  24. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I agree. I am just not hearing any problem with the sound...this has been one of the most enjoyable sets I have had in a long time....I may buy the complete Mother’s Best to go with this one.

The Beave and Pawnmower like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you do not have the complete edition, you must have it. I suggest getting the later edition in the slim compact box. The edition in the chintzy cardboard radio box is stupid and hard to store.