Hank Williams: Pictures From Life’s Other Side — The Man and His Music in Rare Photos and Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It's not a Patsy Cline set after all...

supermd, hodgo and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Imagine That.

The Beave likes this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

This is just totally unreal what kind of bullschiit people had to go through. And Hank Jr, is a Defendant? That Loser putz needs to thank his lucky stars his daddy isn’t here to beat the schiit out of him!
    I’d clock him one…….
    Poser!
    Beave

4. The Beave

Thank you thank you thank you!
    No bass/low/bottom end!
    Excellent this is here!
    BeaVe

5. The Beave

Very much appreciated review, and very well worded.
    Personally I can deal with noise reduction if the music sounds full, which the original sets didn’t, their clean but listening to such clear songs with no bass is impossible for me, like listening to a clean am radio signal.
    But I’ve also resolved myself that with very few exceptions, the mastering of old stuff like this is ALWAYS going to have a problem one way or another. We’re stuck with not listening to it at all, or just enjoying what we can with what we’re given.

And we’re also living in the era of diminishing returns for us collectors. This stuff will be relegated to the vaults and maybe streaming here and there. Nobody in the near future’s Pop Culture is going to give a hoot about the Mother’s Best radio shows.
    So, I’m going to enjoy what I can NOW, even if it’s flawed, and since I’m a collector and fan of the original 60’s and 70’s vinyl bootleg’s I’ll let my ears adjust to it and just enjoy the music.
    Beave

6. The Beave

hodgo likes this.
  7. The Beave

^
    This!
    Like I said, having grown up listening to Beatles and Stones vinyl bootlegs this shouldn’t be a show stopper. And I thank everybody here for their opinions. Very helpful.
    So I elected to get 2 sets, one to play and one for the warehouse. If my hunch is right this has already been out of production and it’s just stock in the warehouse left. That being said I have no problem gotta spare one.
    Goodwill’s going to love me when I croak!
    Beave

hodgo likes this.
  8. The Beave

Holy Mackerel! I bought a few of these on Amazon UK for $16 apiece…….look what it’s going for now……
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DTQJBII/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s $305 USDollars!

Wow…….
    Beave

hodgo likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

10. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

wow, I think I paid around $40.00 a year or so ago. When the set was going for under $20.00 I didn't realize the urgency to hurry up and buy a copy before the prices would spike. Then again, I read threads on this board about how cd's are so cheap because no ones interested any longer! Ha!

11. The Beave

It’s funny how things ebb and flo eh?
    I used to do a lot of music shopping on Amazon UK until they started charging tax to foreign countries, but this popped up back in 2019 at £13 each, so I thought what the hell and bought a couple. Compared to the earlier issues it definitely is a bargain issue. I remember thinking “man, this must be the last run for the Mother’s Best…….
    And now THIS! LOL.
    Boy was I wrong.
    But you know their smart. They let a run go out of print, wait awhile, then slap some new paint on it and press up another run! It’ll sell out, go out of print and like me, a collector, I’ll buy it because us collectors have to have all the variants, and viola! Another run sold.
    Lol! I’m such a sucker……really am….
    B……
    Oh, almost forgot.

baptistbusman likes this.
  12. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I got that dirt cheap too and I don't think I have looked at it. I downloaded all the discs instead of ripping them.

13. The Beave

The EU sometimes puts out some cool products dirt cheap but their really packed with value.
    A few years ago, in a move to extend copyright protection Universal France issues 6 or 7 Jazz box sets of people like Sidney Bichet, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker and a few others. And even though they look cheaply done, which they are, their still priceless as they are VERY UNIQUE because:
    They only came out in France.
    I think that only 500 of each box were pressed up.
    They contained all master takes from the artist ACROSS DIFFERENT RECORD labels!!
    So Parker for example, all the Masters from Dial Records and Verve I think plus the one off labels he recorded on. This is extremely rare in the business, that labels allow other labels to release their titles. It just doesn’t happen that often.
    The boxes were from 13 to 16 discs plus a book.
    They also included bootleg material and live material that had been bootlegged.
    And, the kicker is that they indeed went to whatever sources they had an did a damn fine remastering job on every song. Incredible that they actually did this, just amazing and the remastering, for those old sources sound very very good.
    That’s a lot of songs to remaster, a huge job I’ve rarely seen from American record companies.
    All that and those were also $16 USD. long out of print and scarce as all get out.
    Never see any thing like that here in the states.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They are good.

But I think that far more than 500 copies of each were manufactured. They were widely available for a long time at heavily discounted prices, through many dealers. I have all of them, and so does another friend.

If there were only 500 copies, they would not have been so easy to get for so long.

Now, of course, they are very hard to find and expensive.

15. WonkyDonkey

WonkyDonkey Forum Resident

Just a heads up that this set is now £57.56 on Amazon uk (according to camel, the lowest price it’s been offered at)

hodgo and Fred Dender like this.
  16. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Same problem here. Who do I contact at BMG for a replacement of CD 3?

17. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Can you rip the songs to your computer and burn a new disk?

18. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Yes. CD 5 is affected as well. Insufficient quality control at BMG.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My experience has been that laser alignment may be off in many CD players as they age. I often find that a different player will play such unscratched discs perfectly.

JSKC likes this.
  20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Tribute, JSKC and Boswell like this.