Happy 70th to Free guitarist Paul Kossoff

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Kossoff was the epitome of “less is more”, each note was sparse and just hit so much more. He played in the pocket so flawlessly, and combined with Andy Fraser and Simon Kirke? Oh man, you had something beautiful even before adding the great Paul Rogers on vocals. Kos played with his heart and made his guitar cry. Not unlike Miles, he took his lack of speed, a supposed weakness, and made it his greatest strength. And with that, the music became so much more powerful. Seriously, there’s way more to Free than just “All Right Now”.
    Sadly, Kos faced the demon of addiction and lost the battle. But while his physical being has long passed on, his gift is immortal and vibrates with life every time his music is played. Happy birthday man, may you keep playing on in the afterlife.
    [​IMG]

Sean, Dee Zee, stefane and 8 others like this.
  2. Such a tragically short life.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

His solo album Back Street Crawler...

texron, scottp, Jonny W and 1 other person like this.
  4. Very tasteful player.

Jonny W, rockinlazys and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

Koss is a great compilation. Jim Capaldi’s “You And Me” is an old favorite.

starts at 21:15

The Hunter, Zoot Marimba and Jonny W like this.
  6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

As I've said many times, I grew up a Beatles and general 60s music fan. The changes that came about in rock music in the early 70s, exemplified by the British blooz bands, generally left me cold.

But I made a huge exception for Free, and it was indeed mostly because of Kossoff's soulful playing and Rodgers' impassioned vocals. A potent and unique combination, never equaled by any of their peers.

7. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

Koss was one of a kind. He had such a distinctive sound, impassioned, melodic with beautiful tone. Makes me think of Mike Bloomfield’s comment about guitarists’ sounds being meat on metal. Like all the greats, no one else is anything like him.

stefane, Jonny W and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

First Free album rips so hard !

texron, Jonny W, Bruso and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

I love a lot of that music, but I see what you’re saying. A lot of the time, it was more a gunslinger type thing than anything else, and of course, Free wasn’t that kind of band. They were very economic in how they approached music, every note was carefully crafted and delivered with just the right amount of seasoning.

10. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Just finished playing the Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit album joined by some friends round the world on-line for Koss's birthday week.

That is such a lot of music we have missed out on over the past 44 years since he passed. I believe you should celebrate what is there, not bemoan what isn't.

But still. :(

Zoot Marimba and Jonny W like this.
  11. The Hunter

The Hunter Active Member

I saw Free a couple of times in 1972 and Kossoff was quite brilliant...then, in 1975, I saw him in Newcastle with Back Street Crawler. He was outstanding that night...he'd had a couple of bad run-ins, health-wise, but it was still a massive shock when he died just a few short months later.
    I later had the pleasure of meeting his father, the actor David Kossoff, in 2004 and his brother Simon a talented photographer, a couple of years back.
    Happy birthday and RIP, Koss. My favourite player.

Zoot Marimba, Sean, stefane and 3 others like this.
  12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I was so very lucky to see Free twice at the Fillmore West in January 1971, the Thursday and the Sunday show. They were explosive, simmering, transcendent. RIP Kossoff and Fraser.

I was listening to the Live album just tonight and came here looking for Free fans.

Zoot Marimba and Sean like this.
  13. I miss Koss’ playing even all these years later. What a talented player.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. elvispretzel

elvispretzel Active Member

there's a Free song called "Sail On" where he is playing through a Leslie...as it goes on his part becomes more prominent, and really carries the song. Massive tone, with a keyboard-like approach. It's always been one of my favorites...I've never heard anyone else like him.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.