Happy Birthday Sgt Pepper.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fawltykog, May 26, 2023.

1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I first heard the album when I checked it out at the library along with Rubber Soul. It was probably 1975. I dutifully recorded them onto 8-track tapes. I got my own copies of the albums, along with The Early Beatles through a mail order ad in the newspaper from Bon Marche’ the next year. They were having a sale on a few of the Beatles Capitol albums. They were on sale for $3.99.

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

56 Years later:

[​IMG]

Sgt. Pepper's Social Distancing Club Band

DK Pete, Bern, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  3. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

Alternate take... :)

[​IMG]

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I revisited this album last night and it never ceases to amaze me. A masterpiece from start to finish.

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

The pivot point in modern pop music when the LP became important.

jamesmaya, DK Pete, Buddybud and 2 others like this.
  6. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I can’t add anything that already hasn’t been said. It’s when Rock music became Art. Time hasn’t been particularly kind to it and that’s to be expected to music that is so closely tied to Psychedelia. Leave it to the Fabs to create something so revolutionary. For as much as I love Peppers, on some days it doesn’t even make my top 5 Beatles albums.

7. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I was mesmerized at 13 hearing Sgt. Pepper’s for the first time in 1967, especially seeing its global impact. I mean the record was seemingly everywhere and for a fresh minute it felt like music was indeed the solution.

Yet, it wasn’t until six years later that the album became a deeply moving personal experience. Had recently moved away from home, now living with a few friends, one who had a pair of Voice of the Theater speakers (no sub required) in a three bedroom apartment within a building complex.

Let’s just say we were full of “magic”one night turning up the sound system all the way to its explosive crescendo (no inner groove).

Mesmerized beyond belief & now utterly speechless, anything felt possible, & not one neighbor ever complained.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Buddybud, DK Pete, notesfrom and 5 others like this.
  8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I’m reminded of an anecdote recounted by forum member @rkt88 (aka Marcus James) in another Music thread about that time in Laurel Canyon when….

“…we all synchronized the side one of Sgt Pepper on a late spring day in 1967? the echoes of the first track resonated throughout the entire Ridpath/Kirkwood bowl as all the "music people" coordinated the timing of this needle drop - and speakers if not placed "outside" might as well have been for the cacophony of that amazing Beatles LP.”

9. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Wow. This is wonderful.

jamesmaya and DK Pete like this.
  10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

There may never be another pop music album that will generate such a hyperbolic review as the one written by Langdon Winner of Rolling Stone….

"The closest Western Civilization has come to unity since the Congress of Vienna in 1815 was the week the Sgt. Pepper album was released. In every city in Europe and America the radio stations played [it] ... and everyone listened ... it was the most amazing thing I've ever heard. For a brief while the irreparable fragmented consciousness of the West was unified, at least in the minds of the young."

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It's a strange beast....many of the critics (including one J. Lennon) are right; it's hardly a concept album, Revolver makes a stronger statement, Lennon was lost in a LSD trip for most of the time....but the album makes a lot of sense as a whole. Maybe because the three opening tracks and the closing track are one the Blue Double and to my ears it's still the perfect trio of songs to start an album...
    I'll give the mono a spin later on! :righton:

12. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Brilliant album,especially for its time. She's Leaving Home remains my favourite track since first hearing the album in the mid 70's. Happy Birthday Sgt Pepper.

jamesmaya and Jeff W. Richman like this.
  13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

56 years? No way.
    There is no way that album is that old. I was in high school when Sgt. Pepper's was released. It wasn't that long ago.
    Let's get this straight: I'm telling you, 56 years? No way!

Monasmee, Buddybud, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Happy Birthday and great picks...I can still remember the day I bought the album with much anticipation of greatness. I was not disappointed.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, I know...were so much older now...for me the album did not age.

16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

True! Where do the years go?
    [​IMG]

Buddybud likes this.
  17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Isn't the fictional band performing a concert the concept?

jamesmaya likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

'Sgt. Pepper's' Was A Perfect Storm Of Musical And Recording Creativity

'Sgt. Pepper's' Was A Perfect Storm Of Musical And Recording Creativity

'In order to give McCartney’s bass the rich and smooth sound you can sometimes hear on Sgt. Pepper’s, Emerick had him sit in the center of the empty studio with a mic about six feet away from the bass amp. The distance allowed the recording to capture some of the room ambiance which gave the bass a fuller, rounder sound.'

jamesmaya, chickendinna and Monasmee like this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

If you want to listen it that way, it's a possibility. To my ears it would need more than one song and a reprise to make a 'concept'. 'Pet Sounds' and 'The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society' work far better i.m.o..

Buddybud likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I think it's the most British sounding of their albums. There's not a soul tune or a rockabilly lick in sight. They hadn't spent as much time in Britain as they did between when after their touring ended and the release of Sgt. Pepper - hadn't for years. Individual forays to Spain, India, and the US just reinforced their nationality. Even the Hendrix influence takes place within the context of the burgeoning London Blues scene. George was an Englishman in India. Many of the other elements of the album spring from Britain's illustrious past, or its confusing present, as filtered through the London Underground scene that John joined Paul in partaking once he got back from The War. The album is a psychedelic mash-up of familiar streams that manages to regurgitate something novel. The Beatles found out what The Kinks had found out when The Kinks were banned from touring in the US (1965-1968); you become naked-ly English, and it comes out in the music.

22. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

'Peak' Lennon in more ways than one.

23. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Paul’s bass playing is a marvel and it’s particularly evident on Peppers. After listening to the Beatles, for as much as I have all these years, I often zero in on Paul’s bass playing.It’s so melodic, It’s like a lead instrument to me.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This has been my line of thinking from the first time I listened to the album 56 years ago. It seemed (seems) quite obvious.

AFOS and jamesmaya like this.
  25. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

I'll help make up for it. I'm getting my own personal Inner Groove On right now! Sgt Pepper always helps!

jamesmaya likes this.