Happy mistakes/accidents on film and TV.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ridley Scott's debut, THE DUELLISTS, has a couple magical mistakes that made for a better film.

When Keith Carradine's character proposes to his wife, the two horses behind them are getting frisky. They act through it and the animals make the scene seem more real and lighthearted. The actress's amusement and Carradine's determination to muscle through the formal proposal could not have been scripted better.

The final tracking shot is one of the greatest moments of filmmaking serendipity. It was the final day of shooting, the crew had given up hope on the weather, and everything but one camera was packed away. The final scene was improvised by everyone, including God, as the sun broke through the clouds just as Harvey Kietel's character finished his climb to his view of the French countryside.

hi_watt and GodShifter like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Did Terence Stamp accidently cut Julie Christie's hair in the famous scene from Far From The Madding Crowd, which heightened her reaction? I'm not sure, I read he did somewhere.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Wasn’t Quinten Tarantino involved with this?
    I seem to recall hearing or reading that his reaction was one of glee. The poor actress in the scene was mortified. She clearly knew that was not a “stunt double prop”.

I do recall reading about a misunderstanding, or flat out deception between the film producers/production company and the Martin Guitar company as to how the guitar was to specifically be used. I also seem to remember that the liaison from Martin lost his job over this.
    What an unnecessary tragedy.

Grawlix, Dan C, GodShifter and 3 others like this.
  4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

When that stormtrooper bumped his head in the first 'Star Wars' movie.

5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

At the end of the episode when Ralph falls against the wall and the flat collapses was also not planned or in the original script. The Honeymooners have so many great moments ... when Gleason’s fly is open is another one!

hi_watt, Gumboo and Encuentro like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

In a way, that doesn't really count as that's what they were aiming for. They did that take a handful of times (or more) according to Dustin Hoffman until a car came by.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I didn't know that. I had heard that the car almost hitting him and Hoffman's reaction was unplanned.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, my favorite is the opening scene of A Hard Day’s Night. The four of them are running towards us, fans in hot pursuit, and George takes a hard header...Ringo comes tumbling down after him, Lennon looks back to see what’s going on, and absolutely cracks up laughing at his mates in a heap, they get back up and keep running as no one yelled “cut”. Many other directors would have reshot that scene, but leaving it as is was a a great decision, as the spontaneity of the moment comes through, and the excitement of the scene mixed with the soundtrack is intact. A perfect way to start this film.

[​IMG]

9. Strat-Mangler

It's a bit ambiguous. It's insinuated they wanted a car to show up but it doesn't sound like the words DH uttered were scripted. He explained it on Inside The Actors Studio.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Belushi's fall at night in Animal House

Burt Lahr's ad lib in Wizard about he weather.

11. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

This scene was improvised by George C. Scott if I remember right. It makes for a hilarious interlude in a film desperately in need of them (Exorcist III):

swedwards1960 and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Sounds like I need to give that one another viewing! ;)

carrick doone, Michael and Benno123 like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you do and please report back!

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Those old westerns[love em]where there's little to no blood after someone is shot,and after they die sometimes you can still see em breathing-haaaaaa!!!

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THE WANDERERS...the guys take off in a car and arrive at their destination in a different car...

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Linus

Linus Senior Member

One of the great myths of the cinema world.
    Lindsay Anderson initially resorted to shooting some scenes in B&W as the color stock was under-exposed when used to film some interior shots.
    One of my all time favorite movies BTW, wish I could find a copy on DVD

Grawlix, Jarleboy, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  17. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Bill Macy in Boogie Nights when he uttered, "My wife has an a@# in her c*#k!"

[​IMG]

Pinknik, Oatsdad and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Took me just 10 secs, sir. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OPPAEW

Jarleboy and Linus like this.
  19. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Well played.
    FWIW Amazon has only been available down here for about 3 months. We can finally now buy stuff thru Amazon. It has been very frustrating in the past!
    Cheers

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Yeah, that scene was nuts!

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

fantastic film. I went to boarding school so...can relate :D

Jarleboy and Linus like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I don’t want to say what exactly happened, so that’s why I put “wardrobe malfunction”.

23. Which is why I simply alluded to what happened without saying it. ;)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

ahhh Dean Martin's laugh at the end of this take of the scene. Priceless!

Jarleboy and Purple Jim like this.
  25. I was told that the scene in Fight Club where Meatloaf's trousers fall down after the Space Monkeys leave the hotel in tuxedo's was an error left in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.