Happy with your amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Oct 12, 2020.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

Wow, amps are one thing, but the last sentence has me wondering.

jonwoody, SandAndGlass and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I'm getting older and sizing down, 200# speakers aren't on the "must have " list.
    Also I've had too many front end component breakdowns, just the shipping and insurance back to the manufacturer is pricy these days, $ 1500 return last time. Everything is off warranty now so I'll be paying the full shot.
    I've decided to go with Bryston gear and the 20 year warranty plus same country shipping if needed.
    I'm taking a big shot in the dark but hope it all sounds good when I'm done.

3. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Yes... Harmon Kardon Citation 22 that has been upgraded and I have B&K reference series 2002 S2 that is a backup

timind, Tim 2 and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Your getting rid of your Sonus Faber Amati's?

Speakers don't usually break down, they just sit there, year after year...

I get that they are big and heavy. But you don't move them around much?

They probably don't take up that much more space (footprint) than others would?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yeah I know.... but when I do need to move them I'd rather not have to look for two burly guys.
    Our listening habits have changed the last bunch of years, we listen and entertain more in the Pit ( garage ) than in the house. So i'd like so scale down inside and use that cash to improve the Pit system.
    I'm having a real problem contemplating selling the S.F. so don't make it any worse. Lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of my buds playing air guitar on a table. :cheers:
    [​IMG]

LA2019, SandAndGlass, timind and 2 others like this.
  6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Wow Tim it's crazy to think of you without those big SF's but I can't blame you I gave heavy gear up years ago and I was still young back then! It will be fun to watch your progress needless to say we are all eager to follow along and praying for the best outcome for you.

timind, Glmoneydawg and Tim 2 like this.
  7. Teraphoto

Teraphoto Forum Resident

You don't stay with your partner 25 years if you aren't more than happy ...

[​IMG]

Curiosity, Earthbound2, Bern and 6 others like this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thats moved to more manageable gear.

When we were younger we had the perception that a power amp had to out weigh it's owner or it wasn't worth having. :laugh:

Notice the 160# Mark Levinson amp ( bottom left ) plus a second Mark Levinson amp for the mid and upper frequencies.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the old crappy photo.

LeBud, LA2019, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

This is what did it for me Tim the awful KR Audio Antares amp, it sounded like SS was like 2 feet deep almost a foot wide and weighed 90lbs all centered at the back where the transformers are!

[​IMG]

It also used very $$$ KR Audio 842 tubes so of course one burned out on me after that I said no more KR Audio and nothing over 50lbs in the house again. I sold it to a guy in Canada oddly enough.

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Whose that guy who hopped up on the table, and do you still invite him over any more?

Tim 2, Glmoneydawg and jonwoody like this.
  11. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

My gear is nowhere as eye catching as most here...still my B&K Reference 4420 is serving me well after 24 years!
    [​IMG]

Earthbound2, jonwoody, LA2019 and 3 others like this.
  12. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Hey man!..with the Oilers shirt he's probably welcome anywhere in the province....and it's not unusual behavior here in Canada:)

Tim 2 and jonwoody like this.
  13. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

B&K was a great company. I went to their facility for training back in the late 90's. Wow, what an operation. Simply amazing what goes in to manufacturing quality audio equipment.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If I had the budget, I would get the Wilson Alexia V's. Screw downsizing. I don't plan on moving speakers. Power amps are a different story. I did downsize to from mono's to a stereo power amp.

jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  15. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Fair enough,but room size and listening distance/volume can be a factor here too.I think less drivers and ability to "come alive" at lower volumes is more important in normal sized rooms.....you are probably already doing it right my friend:)

Tim 2, jonwoody and Tullman like this.
  16. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Yes, they were a great outfit back in the day...this amp drives anything I've had hooked up to it...at some point I might do a recap given it's age.

LA2019 and jonwoody like this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well the Alexia V's are pretty close to the same size as my Sasha DAW's. I would be able to adjust the rake angle on both the mid and tweeter which really helps in a room like mine.

Tim 2, Glmoneydawg and jonwoody like this.
  18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I always have upgrade-its but I am happy with my Yamaha 801

jonwoody likes this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm thinking of new speakers not that my Klipsch CW2 are going anywhere (not yet anyway). My Rogue CM3 is a keeper (and I have been quietly acquiring tubes for it).

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

Bought different amps last year, and am quite satisfied with them. Classe Audio Omega monoblocks. They are a bit heavy but I don't plan on moving them often.

21. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

2.5 months into my first 300b amp, Aric Audio, and I’m very happy. Introduced me to a whole new world.

22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I have a Marantz PM5005 and a Marantz 2220B. Love them both for different reasons.

23. cod

cod Well-Known Member

Sugden A21 Signature integrated ~ replaced $15k of audio research separates & interconnects about 5 years ago...

Doesn't do everything the arc could, but I do listen to more music than ever...

It's no fuss and simply makes music (enjoyable)

Plan / Hope to have it many more years...

Teraphoto, MikeJedi and Earthbound2 like this.
  24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I picked the Accuphase up a few weeks back and it's been a joy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2023
    ChristianL, Helom, Thymallus and 8 others like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Just one of many that show up daily.
    Another reason we entertain in the garage.