Happy with your amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Oct 12, 2020.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Looking for a robust amp to deliver the goods- 100 watts at 8 ohms / 200 watts at 4 ohms. My Pass Amp was ~ 80 watts at 8 ohms and was just shy of the mark.
    really depends on the amp though too- my rogue amp was 100 watts per channel and was also very good.
    Also the 400 watts of the parsound JC5 was not wasted on them. superb low volume sonics.
    I am an ampaholic unfortuntely.
    i do have the starkrimson lined up for a visit too- looking forward to it.

2. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Dave,

The downward angle of my pic is directly catching the illumination bulb brilliance. From any other straighter-on angle (especially my listening sweet spot), it is not at all a distraction for me! :righton:

Ted

Davey likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to your A21+ --- I thought that was the "forever" amp? :) You mentioned the Pass above, the JC5.... isn't the A21+ robust enough?

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I cannot answer on the grounds that I will incriminate myself.

33na3rd, jonwoody, adamos and 2 others like this.
  5. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Let the audiophile that hasn't swapped gear cast the first stone:winkgrin:

avanti1960 and jonwoody like this.
  6. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I have a Creek 5350 SE integrated amp that I've had for 20 years and I'm always and still happy with the sound. I had to have it repaired once, under $300. I'm not a technical guy but they told me they couldn't get the "plug ins" from Creek (Mike Creek was traveling) so he had to reconnect by hand. Came back good as mew!

jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  7. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ATC SCM 50 ASLT
    350w hanging off the back of each like a flat six hanging off the back of a 911.
    Happy with the speaker makes it mandatory that likewise to be happy with the amp. 350 watts X 2 in a Manhattan apartment, exercising self restraint becomes a necessary consideration.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

In 2020 I switched from an Adcom GFA-5400 to this Purifi-based Class D amp from Audiophonics:

AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S400ET Power Amplifier Class D Stereo Purifi 2x400W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

I love it. I don't know that I could tell the difference between it and the GFA-5400 in a proper blind test, but in casual sighted comparison the Audiophonics amp sounds cleaner and has slightly more controlled bass. (And for what it's worth, the Audiophonics' measured distortion is around 0.0005%, compare to the Adcom's rated 0.18%.)

What I do know is objectively different is that the Audiophonics amp is dead silent - ear up against the tweeter, nothing. The Adcom, by contrast, always produced low-level hiss. And I had to use a DC blocker with it because the dirty AC in my area (I live in a big city) would cause its giant toroidal transformer to mechanically hum. And the Adcom lacks speaker protection. So it's a no-brainer for me.

The Audiophonics amp was happily driving a pair of B&W 705s until a couple of days ago, when I installed a pair of Infinity Kappa 9s (they were my father's; sadly he recently passed away). I was hesitant as these speakers are known as amp killers, but I was unwilling to power them with my father's Adcom GFA-5800, because I don't want a 60lb amp (or an amp with a fan) in my listening room. So I swallowed hard and hooked the Kappas up to my 12-lb, 2-1/2 inch tall Class D amp. So far the Audiophonics/Purifi amp is driving the Kappas just as happily as it drove the 705s, and to levels just as loud as the 5800 did.

I don't like to listen to music super-loud, but I did try them out with bass-heavy music (Massive Attack) at SPLs around 92dB at 3 meters, which if I have my math right means they were running at about 102dB SPL at 1 meter. And the amp never hiccuped or even got warm.

I know some people aren't comfortable with Class D, but I can say without hesitation that I'm going to stick with this amp until it breaks or for the rest of my life, whichever comes first. Highly recommended.

mkane77g, 33na3rd and Glmoneydawg like this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

LOL... alrightee then!! :)

I was just surprised, and was curious... but would never fault you (or prosecute) :), if you decided to change amps. I of all people understand! I fully support anyone who likes to try different things in this hobby!!!

avanti1960, jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

avanti1960, jonwoody and Glmoneydawg like this.
  11. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I think that the Ayre V5xe could be close to fitting that bill ... that is , if you're looking for a Power amp, and not an Integrated.

V-5xe | Ayre

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  12. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Krell started screeching and knocking. 8-month waiting list for a former Krell tech to fix. He'll be doing some replacements/upgrades so it'll cost over 1K.

In the meantime, I need some relatively inexpensive watts, so I've got a Marantz MM7025 2-channel power amp (140 wpc at 8 ohms) on its way from the kind folks at Music Direct.

[​IMG]

dtyndall and jonwoody like this.
  13. TheVinylAddict

Why not press the 2238 into service??? :) (I saw it on your profile.... )

The new Marantz looks nice too... but she's no Krell! Fingers crossed all goes well on diagnosis and repair, and you get it back soon as possible!

KeninDC likes this.
  14. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Fully happy. My Luxman 590axii is probably the most stable (i.e. safe from upgraditis) component in my system. Puts a smile on my face every time.

[​IMG]

DaveWin, siebrand, mpw123 and 7 others like this.
  15. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Yes CJ MV60
    Dynakit super ST70
    Assemblage SET300b

mpw123 likes this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

SST Son of Ampzilla II. It’s quite a bit clearer than the A21s. 27dB gain but it seems like less than that in use. I don’t know of many amps that produce ≈24dB gain. Seems like most are either under 22 or over 28dB.

Idk if SST (Wyred 4 Sound) offers trial periods but it might be worth calling them to ask.

Other than my desire to try a Coda, the SoA II is most likely to be with me for the long haul.

avanti1960 likes this.
  17. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

2238 is working hard in the open kitchen/main room with some B&W bookshelf speakers. Big amps live downstairs.

jonwoody and TheVinylAddict like this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

19. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Class A Accuphase. I’m guessing it runs quite warmly. Either way, you have my attention.

KeninDC likes this.
  20. Thymallus

Thymallus Forum Resident

I often read about heat and Class A amplifiers. My listening room is small, appr. 11 square meters, my listening sessions can last for 5 - 6 hours and still the temperature of the room remains pleasant. I did once calculate the cost of electricity when running the E-550 but the sum was very ,very modest.

The sound and aesthetics of the Accuphase do make me happy every time I turn it on.

33na3rd and ether-bored like this.
  21. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

Well you can’t say fairer than that. I’m going through a phase with my A-S3000. Do I love it or does it leave me wanting that extra 2.875%…?

Thymallus likes this.
  22. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Very nice amp. ;)

How does it handle your 804’s? I’m just curious as the B&W 800 series speakers in general are very power hungry.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Soul Note worth a look for sure… Soulnote Audio: Soulnote A-2 Integrated Amplifier

24. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I don't know about you guys but some of these amps are the same price when I buy a new grocery getter. :faint:

25. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

How about this one?

avanti1960 likes this.