Happy with your amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes!!

Custom built by my buddy, It’s excellent.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thanks, Ivan, looking for a power amp though.

3. avanti1960

Under 22db is fine. Therein lies the dilemma.

Helom likes this.
  4. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

oh, my bad. I believe you used to own one of the Cary Audio power amps? If so, how was the experience?

5. avanti1960

I had the SA 200.2 and it was very good but not a keeper.

Ivand likes this.
  6. avanti1960

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

What's 10 volts, easy step down. :)

Seriously, I understand - 100V, from Japan.... makes most balk. Then used. I was posed with all the same choices 4 years ago, I took the plunge and looking back I'm glad I did. Realize also rewiring to 120V is not that difficult internally, many have done it too.

The P-6100 is a MOSFET driven on output, different than the bipolar arrangement on the P-7300 / 7500 and P-4200 / 4500. It's a very powerful and well driven amp. If I replaced my P-4200 with Class AB it would be the P-6100. If I went Class A then the A-47 / 48 or A-65.

Btw, you might see a 110V / 120V P-6100 pop up in the wild on an auction site, but they are probably pretty rare in 110/120V versions, but again, I don't sweat the small step down required, just get a good transformer.

It's too bad you can't get your hands on one to try (Accuphase), even a different model, Class A or something. I've been through a few amps with SS too, including a couple you own / owned, and once I tried Accuphase I got hooked. I *know* you'd like to try it too... :)

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

That’s going to be a tricky find in a high wattage amp. Might have to look more at maximum current specs to get what you’re searching for. I’ll keep an eye out.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Do you get any mechanical humming from your step up transformers? I’ve only ever used step-down transformers in home electronics applications and most have been rather noisy, even with a good DC blocker upstream.

Do you know if Accuphase makes any 200WPC amps?

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Another possibility is to have a manufacturer custom adjust the gain level for you. I would bet a company like Coda could accommodate such a request. They might also adjust the bias level based on your mains power which is how all systems would be configured in an ideal world.

Classic Car Guy and avanti1960 like this.
  11. avanti1960

Some I haven't tried yet that meet the requirements-
    Bryston 4B3 / 3B3
    Many of the new gen Class D- Atmasphere monos, Orchard Audio, Apollon, AGD Tempo Di GaN.
    Some older McIntosh- MC402.

Helom, GyroSE and Classic Car Guy like this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

My system is quiet as a choich mouse. :) The noisiest thing I have is my JC3+, ended up putting a cheater plug on it. (those ready to offer advice, everything has been tried :))

I use ACUPWR transformers, a little overpriced but have worked out well. I have a few of different wattage.

I'm assuming you mean 200w into 8 ohm, first off, many of their vintage amps are higher rated, a few over 200W into 8 ohm. For instance, I also own a P-500L https://www.accuphase.com/cat/p-500len.pdf and it's 270W into 8ohm. (it's a beast). Made in '91. It's actually not in use at the moment, I have plans of using that in my shop with a vintage Accuphase C-280 line stage. (which I'm patiently shopping).

Their M6200 Monoblocks deliver 150W into 8 ohm standalone, 600W bridged. But none of their later (since probably early 2000's) Class A or AB power amps deliver 200W into 8 ohm.

13. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Exactly what I would do just like Helom recommended. That's one of the reasons why all of my amps are customized or custom made to the sound I want all the way down to the speakers. Otherwise I would be chasing a ghost.

14. TheVinylAddict

@Helom , I should add - though their current amps don't deliver 200W into 8 ohm "on paper", Accuphase rates conservatively and guarantees the spec.... and take for instance my P-4200, though rated at 90W into 8 ohm, has bench tested from different things I've read close to 140W.

I recall reading bench tests of the P-7300, P-6100, but don't recall the numbers -- but think the 7300 is real close to 200W from bench testing into 8 ohm. So there's that.

Helom likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Oh, one more thing, if you (or anyone else) ever needs it, here is the Accuphase product museum link Accuphase Laboratory, Inc. Product museum -- it doesn't contain all the newest models (like P-4500, P-7500, A-75, A-48, etc) but everything else is there.

jonwoody and Helom like this.
  16. Ed13

Ed13 Well-Known Member

I have been running a Luxman M800A amplifier with 60 watts class A for around 12 years. No interest in changing this amp. I left the amp with my dealer for 1.5 years until we found the pre-amp with the synergy needed for optimum sound I was looking for. Turned out it was well worth the wait. Not interested it going through that again.

33na3rd, jonwoody and TheVinylAddict like this.
  17. TheVinylAddict

My choice four years ago was down to Lux or Accuphase, I pretty much flipped a coin... :) probably would have been happy with either.

That's a very nice amplifier you have there (M800A). 110lbs of Class A goodness. I've checked it out a few times.

18. Ed13

Ed13 Well-Known Member

Purchased the amplifier without hearing it. Was already familiar with the 590 so took a leap of faith and it has worked out great for me.

Grew up listening to my fathers system which consisted of Accuphase and MacIntosh gear. No longer have pieces from either company but still a sense of nostalgia when I hear them.

19. dover1968

dover1968 Forum Resident

Marantz 8004 driving Polk R200's. For my 11x14 room, very nice. I know the amp is only "mid-fi", but I like the fact it has tone controls, which I know not everyone is a fan of, but I think it helps on some particularly bright sounding recordings. So pleased overall. BTW, I think the Polks are excellent value for the money.

33na3rd and heavysoul like this.
  20. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Good question.

The 804s (800 series in general), while said to crave oodles of power (wattage), actually crave tons and tons of current.

That, the 590axii delivers in spades. The claimed 30wpc is also misleading as it actually measures as providing a lot more than that.

In any event my experience was eye opening in the following:

Initially had the 804s plugged into a Rega Aethos (125wpc). Had had an elicit and an elex prior to that and was pleased with the sound. However, I found the 804s to be lacking in bass and had a sub plugged in along with the 804s.

When I moved to the 590 I ditched the sub. The way the Luxman handles the speakers brought out the bass (and the amp itself is better in every conceivable metric than the aethos, which was a great amp itself).

jonwoody and GyroSE like this.
  21. cnolanh

cnolanh Forum Resident

Yes! Depending on the system/room, amplification is by McIntosh MC2150, Pioneer M-25, McIntosh MC502, or Bryston 2B-LP. I am well pleased by each of them.

Sonically I'm unlikely to need another amp in this lifetime. Curiosity and practicality, however, could entice me to try something different/smaller/simpler in the future. But right now I sure appreciate all those overbuilt transformers…

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  22. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I'm happy w/ my Mystere IA-11. Not the best and definitely not the worst, but very good sounding. Pleasing to the eyes and to the ears.
    [​IMG]

siebrand, mreeter, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

In The Pit its an Audio Research tube preamp and an Audio Research DAC, Bryston 3B cubed poweramp connected to Bryston speakers, it's all good.
    [​IMG]

In the house is an Atoll IN200 integrated to Sonus Faber speakers, good too.
    [​IMG]

vintage_tube, gakerty, izeek and 3 others like this.
  24. WAF Negative

WAF Negative Well-Known Member

Yes, not only with the amp but the whole system, see profile. For now thank God LOL

25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident